New AR15, problem

PDA

ehanger
January 9, 2011, 01:34 PM
I bought a Rock River AR15 a few weeks ago (brand new, haven't shot it yet) and just did my first strip involving the bolt carrier. When I try to insert the bolt back into the carrier it will only go in about halfway and gets stuck. From watching videos on youtube of people reassembling their AR's it looks like the bolt should just slide right in.

I tried applying a small bit of pressure to the bolt but that doesn't seem to help. I'm reluctant to push harder as I don't want to break anything.

Is this normal with a new gun and I should just try pushing it harder?

If you enjoyed reading about "New AR15, problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rottweiler
January 9, 2011, 01:38 PM
Cam pin not lined up under the gas key? no, rotate bolt. Ejection port door closed?yes, just push a little more

rcmodel
January 9, 2011, 01:44 PM
Which side of the bolt did the extractor end up on when you put it in the bolt carrier?
It should be on the right side of the carrier when you insert the cam pin.

Some non-spec bolts will allow you to put the cam pin in with the bolt rotated 180 degrees from the right way.

rc

ehanger
January 9, 2011, 01:49 PM
The extractor is on the left side, I ended up pushing a bit harder and the bolt clicked forward so I think it's just that my gun isnt broken in yet.

10-96
January 9, 2011, 01:59 PM
That sounds like it. The gas rings do make a tight fit and even after your rifle is broken it- it still will likely take a little effort to get the bolt in, otherwise your gas rings wouldn't work. Also, be sure the notches in them aren't lined up. They should be evenly spaced/offset.

TonyAngel
January 9, 2011, 03:03 PM
When the bolt is replaced into the carrier, the extractor should be on the same side as the ejection port. When you put the assembly back into the upper you have to fully extend the bolt from the carrier so that the cam pin in is under the gas key. From there it should slide right in with no force necessary. If the dust cover is closed the force needed to open it should be very minimal. The gas rings do NOT need to be offset. You can do it, but if your rifle NEEDS Them to be in order to operate, something is wrong.

rcmodel
January 9, 2011, 03:10 PM
The extractor is on the left sideThat ain't right.
You have to be able to see the extractor through the ejection port when you slide the bolt carrier back in.
So it has to be on the right side.

If the extractor is on the left side, the bolt is in 180 degrees from where it should be and the rifle simply will not work.

Again, a mil-spec bolt won't allow you to put the cam pin in on the off side, so you can't put the bolt in wrong.
But all bolts are not mil-spec.

rc

Rottweiler
January 9, 2011, 05:26 PM
My bad , I read it as your bolt carrier won't go into the upper receiver. RC is correct

MrCleanOK
January 9, 2011, 07:40 PM
The inside diameter of the bolt carrier decreases from what it is at the face. The resistance you felt was the gas rings compressing going through this reduction in ID. It gets easier as you get your AR worn in.

If you enjoyed reading about "New AR15, problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!