Ruger M14 ATI Stock vs. Saiga in .223

PDA

the count
January 10, 2011, 11:07 AM
Guys, just saw the Ruger Mini 14 with ATI collapsible stock. A cool looking gun. Can be bought for just under $700.

Wondering if its worth the extra bux over getting a Saiga in 223 and doing some mods like putting on the same ATI stock and a picatinny rail w/Saiga mount. Cost might be in the $500 range for all.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/firearms-images-products-446l-2.jpg

One thing that I have been wondering about is the fact that the Ruger's action is open as opposed as being mostly covered with AR's, AK's etc. This must make it more susceptible to malfunctions because of sand, dirt, etc. would it not?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger M14 ATI Stock vs. Saiga in .223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
January 10, 2011, 11:32 AM
After four Minis and several thousand rounds, I figure that zero problems means decent reliability--but I never went rolling around in the dirt, either.

It oughta be as good in dirty conditions as a Garand, M-14 or M1-A...

Dunno your intended use, but from a money standpoint I guess the Saiga would be a better deal...

Andrew Wyatt
January 10, 2011, 11:34 AM
Consider another stock.

JDMorris
January 10, 2011, 01:07 PM
I like the wood stocked Mini's, they just look right, those look goofy to me..

frankenstein406
January 10, 2011, 01:18 PM
Same here I like the wood ones. Never had a problem with a mini 14 hunting in the thick snow covered woods here.

wally
January 10, 2011, 02:25 PM
That ATI stock looks great on paper, but that big honking side folder button and hinge really get in the way. I had one for an AK and promptly removed it for a UTG AR to AK stock adapter and a Tapco M4 style stock which works a whole lot better.

I don't think a pistol grip adds much to the Mini-14. I've one of the Butler Creek side folders and while its pretty good as a side folding pistol grip stock, it doesn't really add anything over the standard stock when shooting.

The Mini makes a great "update" of the idea behind the M1 Carbine, it makes a poor imitation of an AR or AK. Like it for what it is or buy something else.

A Saiga conversion ends up being a very nice AK, but I'd recommend against the ATI side folder for it.

AR27
January 10, 2011, 02:45 PM
I prefer wood on my mini's and ak's but thats me. You may also want to consider doing some research on the .223 saigas, some guys have some serious problems with them, but it seems to only be the saigas in that caliber.

pbrktrt
January 10, 2011, 09:01 PM
Go with the tactical model on the Mini-14 as it is the best they have put out so far.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger M14 ATI Stock vs. Saiga in .223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!