FAL & Savage or LaRue OBR?

PDA

Caslo69
January 10, 2011, 01:53 PM
Hi guys,

My wife and I are in the market to buy some guns in order to defend our future Permaculture homestead out in the country. (However, we currently live in the city.) While we've already made our various handgun and shot gun selections, we now have to decide on a Battle Rifle for SHTF.

So, should we get one powerful Battle Rifle that'd be good at rapid fire (DSA FAL, or FN SCAR H17, or Springfield M1A, or PTR91) and
one highly accurate hunting rifle that be good for long range (Savage?),

or...

just get one super accurate, "battle" rifle and be done with it (LaRue OBR 7.62, or FNH FNAR, or Armalite AR104).

The former option would at least give us two guns, instead of one.

Regardless, we want good quality - something very reliable and durable, because we're relatively new to the world of guns. Also, I'm 5'6", but very strong, so please consider my size.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "FAL & Savage or LaRue OBR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JDMorris
January 10, 2011, 02:06 PM
I would get a Springfield Socom or Scout M1A, for defence.
And for hunting a Remington 700 Sendero in .300 Win mag, or a Howa Axiom in .308 with heavy barrel.

P.B.Walsh
January 10, 2011, 02:09 PM
Well, on one hand your semi + bolt consideration would be great in case one fails you, but on the other hand you have more of a "do it all rifle". If I were you, I'd get the semi + bolt.

16.5"-18.5" DPMS .308 + a good 20" .308 bolt would take you quite far.

JMHO,
P.B.Walsh

epijunkie67
January 10, 2011, 02:57 PM
I know a lot of people roll their eyes at the phrase "shtf" but since it is a criteria for your weapons selection then consider this. If you had to engage in armed combat at range you are going to want a magazine fed semi-automatic weapon.

If you are going to be doing general purpose hunting what is the max range you expect to be shooting at? Most people aren't shooting at deer at ranges over 200-250 yards. I'm sure some do, but most don't.

Given those two scenarios I'd personally recommend two decent rifles in something like an M1A configuration. A couple of Springfield scouts would probably be fine. They are plenty accurate for hunting at those ranges and are a fine choice as a defensive weapon.

I would try to avoid getting two different kinds of weapons if possible. A fancy bolt action hunting rifle isn't going to perform THAT much better for hunting out to 300-400 yards than a high quality M1A. But you're going to notice a very real difference if you get involved in a firefight and are stuck using a bolt action rifle.

Also, by using the same rifle you don't have to swap back and forth between two sets of manual of arms. Plus it makes it easier to keep spare parts and tools around.

Just make sure that whatever weapons system you chose that BOTH of you can shoot it well. If only one of you can handle the .308 you might want to consider getting something easier to handle for defensive use and grabbing an inexpensive bolt action exclusively for hunting.

Caslo69
January 10, 2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks

Why the Springfield over the FAL, SCAR, or LaRue?

Zerodefect
January 10, 2011, 05:23 PM
If you have the coin for a Larue OBR and an equally good Nightforce scope and Larue mount. Go for it!!!

The Larue will not let you down. Crazy acuracy with the right ammo.

Check out the LMT .308 as well. Not as hyper accurate or as expensive as the Larue, but really close.

pikid89
January 10, 2011, 05:26 PM
how about the new Ruger scout rifle....that seems like a good compromise and its pretty cool to boot

451 Detonics
January 10, 2011, 05:34 PM
I would choose the FAL personally, it is a much more proven MBR, in fact probably the single most proven MBR with use in over 90 countries. I would see nothing wrong with a good FAL and a Savage bolt gun in .308.

Aren't we all
January 10, 2011, 05:46 PM
If i were you I would go to my local gunshop and browse for what feels right and is within your budget, that is the way to buy a gun, especially if you are new at ths sort of thing.

Also, you do not need a tack driver for your knock around farm or working gun. 2 to 3 inch accuracy is fine as long as the first shot is near poa.

Reliability is also key. If the most accurate rifle in the world is jammed it is not very usefull.

Marsh

Caslo69
January 10, 2011, 08:31 PM
Yes, we need it to be very reliable.

If one is essentially going to use a Battle Rifle as a machine gun (as opposed to long range hunting), then it doesn't have to be super accurate. Ideally, I'd like both.

Is the LaRue as rugged at rapid fire as the FAL and M1A?

Zerodefect
January 10, 2011, 09:47 PM
Yes, we need it to be very reliable.

If one is essentially going to use a Battle Rifle as a machine gun (as opposed to long range hunting), then it doesn't have to be super accurate. Ideally, I'd like both.

Is the LaRue as rugged at rapid fire as the FAL and M1A?

It's as rugged as they come. I'd have no problem betting my life on one.

It has a SS barrel for accuracy. So I'd imagine it would wear out sooner than a chrome lined barrel. But back in the real world, it really deosn't matter. Who can afford that much ammo? The amount of ammo to wear out the barrel would easily cost more than the rifle x10 anyway.

epijunkie67
January 10, 2011, 10:08 PM
I think you might be a little distracted by this concept of "rapid fire". Nobody does true rapid fire with a MBR unless they are in a military unit laying down suppressive fire. You don't carry enough ammo at one time to make it a good idea.

Any MBR will let you pop off a couple of magazines quickly. But don't expect that you and one or two other people are going to be repelling barbarian hordes with your overwhelming firepower. Even in a worst case scenario you're only going to be carrying 6-10 magazines. That's only 200 rounds if you're using a .308.

And trust me, 200 rounds of .308 gets awful darned heavy if you're toting it around a while. One of the reasons for choosing the AR platform is that .223 ammo weighs a lot less and you can carry a lot more ammo for the same amount of weight. Even more still when you factor in the decreased weight of the weapon.

In the real world if you are exchanging fire with someone and have gone through 3-4 magazines then you are probably facing an outnumbering force determined to win. 1 or 2 people are very unlikely to survive that kind of assault.

pikid89
January 10, 2011, 10:14 PM
what kind of assault are you expecting on a small family farm...?
a bit paranoid perhaps?
a good rugged bolt action or 2 ought to serve you fine...plus you save enough to get some good optics and ammo over buying 2 MBRs (save maybe the fal)
oth
you seem to really want the LaRue so you may as well just buy it...cuz you wont be happy till you do lol

pikid89
January 10, 2011, 10:16 PM
perhaps the new DPMS REPR
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/01/07/dpms-panther-repr-308-rifle/

G27RR
January 10, 2011, 10:17 PM
If you want extremely good accuracy and top notch build quality, the OBR is hard to beat. I have the 5.56mm version and will have the7.62mm when I get the funnds together. Mine shoots 5 round groups in the 0.3-0.5MOA range repeatably, can do better with the right load and shooter, and 10 shot groups easily remain subMOA. Everything I have seen about the 7.62mm indicates the same level of accuracy.

Others have covered the rapid fire thing well so I won't get into that.

If you can get your hands on one, the quality is obvious just from handling and examining it. Can you get that accuracy with a less expensive rifle? Sure, but it isn't as likely right out of the box, you may not get the same level of quality and attention to detail, and the warranty is unlikely to be as good.

Rancho Relaxo
January 10, 2011, 10:35 PM
Buy a single shot break action rifle and put the money you would have spent towards stuff that would really be useful on your future farm. Are you really expecting well armed commandos to attack you from your tactical bunker? I'd buy an expensive battle rifle after you are established on your farm.

Robert
January 10, 2011, 11:26 PM
We are not in the habit of doing SHTF threads. The chances of you having to fend off hoards of blue helmets or gangs of roving baddies is about the same as I have of winning the lottery, and I don't play...

Jon Coppenbarger
January 10, 2011, 11:33 PM
If from the choice you gave I would pick the fal. Some good choices on them out there.
I would buy a fal as they do rock and as someone else said they have worked for 90 country's. Also maybe a ar15 which would work for a lite weight rifle, A good 22lr rifle for small game and low noise and a good shotgun.

Hanzo581
January 10, 2011, 11:43 PM
If money is no object my vote goes to the SCAR-H.

Art Eatman
January 11, 2011, 01:20 AM
For SHTF combat tactics, go to an SHTF website.

For hunting rifle options, start a pertinent thread.

For comparisons among "battle rifles", start a thread on that one subject.

But we don't really need to get into this mostly-mythical SHTF, nor do threads with several subjects at the same time.

If you enjoyed reading about "FAL & Savage or LaRue OBR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!