kel tec su 16 C vs m1 carbine truck gun

PDA

JohnnyCal55
January 10, 2011, 01:09 PM
I'm looking for a foldable, compact, and reliable rifle that can be stored in a locked box in my truck. Ideally, I would like a semi auto rifle with a folding stock that is lightweight and can be brought into action very quickly. This would be an emergency rifle/ get home safely in a social collapse to get to the safe where my main battle rifle is.
Any suggestions? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "kel tec su 16 C vs m1 carbine truck gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
frankenstein406
January 10, 2011, 01:16 PM
Mini 14/30 with folding stock.14s are very short Idk about 30. Haven't played with one yet.

bhk
January 10, 2011, 05:33 PM
Either will work. By hunting buddy has the Keltec and I have a carbine - kind of a toss up. The problem with using a carbine (unless it is a non-GI make like a Kahr) is that they are becoming increasingly valuable as time goes on. I wouldn't want to further beat up on one by letting it rattle around in a truck tool box. I often use have my IBM carbine in my cab, but it is protected from torture there.

greyling22
January 10, 2011, 07:37 PM
su-16 gets my vote. cheaper to mount an optic, .223 is more powerful, plentiful, and costs less. Keltec more likely to resist weather and bumps, and as bhk pointed out, m1's are getting very pricey. You'd hate to lose one to theft.

That said, I really like my m1 carbine. lightweight, pretty punchy when loaded right, and just a hoot to shoot.

epijunkie67
January 11, 2011, 01:10 AM
You know, there are other options for a truck gun besides those two. Either of them would work but you could also consider something like an AK or sks with folding stock.

How big is your lock box? Is there a size limit? What about something tossed under the seat like a K31? Mine was dirt cheap a few years ago and its a great gun despite being full sized. Or even something like a Mosin for the same reasons.

If size is your primary limitation you could still look at something like a shotgun, AK, sks, or mini 14/30 all with folding stocks. Or get an SU-16. I have one and its a great gun. All of these are cheap (relatively) options that would work well in a "general purpose truck gun" situation.

Sometimes I keep my lever action .357 under the back seat as my truck gun. Wicked nice shooter, accurate, low recoiling, and not so expensive I'd cry a lot if it got stolen or damaged. I just keep it in a zippered sleeve and keep a box of ammo in the rear door pocket. I figure 158 grains of lead hitting at 1200 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle and 700 at 100 yards is more than enough rifle for general purpose use. If I need more than that I've done something very very wrong. lol

JohnnyCal55
January 11, 2011, 01:50 AM
I've really considered a 357 mag carbine and a semi auto rifle with foldable stock in 7.62x39, but I really question if these rifles and calibers are "minute of coyote" or "minute of bad guy" at 150 or 200 yards. My gut feeling draws me back to the 223 every time. I've also been playing with the thought of a ruger mini 14 tactical and adding the butler creek side folding stainless stock. Now that would be sweet.

PT1911
January 11, 2011, 02:07 AM
If i was looking for a truck gun, i would give a hard look at the PLR-16... but that is just me...

smince
January 11, 2011, 09:12 AM
I've really considered a 357 mag carbine and a semi auto rifle with foldable stock in 7.62x39, but I really question if these rifles and calibers are "minute of coyote" or "minute of bad guy" at 150 or 200 yards.You will be fine with any of these, IMO.

Don't buy into the hype that AK's and SKS's are inaccurate.

epijunkie67
January 11, 2011, 10:23 AM
I've really considered a 357 mag carbine and a semi auto rifle with foldable stock in 7.62x39, but I really question if these rifles and calibers are "minute of coyote" or "minute of bad guy" at 150 or 200 yards. My gut feeling draws me back to the 223 every time.

The .357 is plenty accurate but I don't think I'd use it out past 150 yard because of bullet drop. The 7.62X39 would depend on the platform you were using but I would expect a decent SKS to give you at least 4" groups at 200 yards, and maybe better. Assuming you are doing your part of course.

If you are wanting to shoot past 200 yards then maybe a .233 would be a better choice for you. But really, how often do you expect to have to do that with a truck gun?

MichaelK
January 11, 2011, 12:11 PM
Well, I have all 4, an AR, a mini-14, a SKS, and the SU-16; but it's the SU-16 this IS in the back of the truck.

Gelgoog
January 11, 2011, 12:52 PM
Cheap Marlin 336 .30-30 would be my choice. Both the kel-tec and M1 are +$600 guns, and I do not want to leave something that expensive in my vehicle.

Deltaboy
January 11, 2011, 08:17 PM
I vote for a beater 30/30. I see them under 300 all the time.

greyling22
January 11, 2011, 11:24 PM
agreed.

Grunt Medic TXARNG
January 12, 2011, 12:01 AM
Lots of great ideas here. One I'm considering is SBRing one of my AR lowers and mounting an 11" AR Five Seven upper on it. I'm not such a fan of the cartridge, but 50 rounds of firepower in such a compact package is hard to argue with.

WardenWolf
January 12, 2011, 01:15 AM
My vote is a converted Saiga 7.62x39 16". Cheap, ammo is common and cheap, reliable, accurate, easily scoped with a quick-detachable mount, and fairly lightweight. Did I mention cheap?

JDMorris
January 12, 2011, 12:29 PM
Mini 14 with a folder type stock, or the M1, those polymer guns aren't my style, I'm a fan of steel..

If you enjoyed reading about "kel tec su 16 C vs m1 carbine truck gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!