Does any Virginia resident know Clark Brother

PDA

efeng9622
January 10, 2011, 03:07 PM
gun store and range ? It is located in Warrenton VA 20186.
This range doesn’t charge for admission fee, but you should buy ammo in the store. The price is pretty much high, but I believe maybe there are a lot of people just shoot there without buying ammo because never see the attendant asked receipt or check with people. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Does any Virginia resident know Clark Brother" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Armed Accountant
January 10, 2011, 04:37 PM
I bought my first handgun there and have shot there several times. The range is ok. It reminds me of the old wooden outdoor ranges like we had at summer camp. However, I quit going to the range there due to an incredibly rude range officer. I decided that is was worth the $100 per year to go to Rivanna Rifle and Pistol club south of Charlottesville since it was a little closer to my house and has much nicer facilities. Plus, the ammo at Clark Bros is pretty steep. I guess that's how they are able to have a "free" range.

efeng9622
January 10, 2011, 05:17 PM
yes, the store already made enough money as long as you buy ammo

there. thanks!

Black Knight
January 10, 2011, 08:54 PM
I have been there as well. I never bought a gun there but have bought holsters, magazines, and reloading supplies there. I never tried their range either. I have all but stopped going there. They had a salesman/instructor there who's qualifications I seriously doubted. One thing he taught in a defensive handgun course was that the front sight was useless so don't use it at all. I to am a member of the Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club.

Franco2shoot
January 11, 2011, 07:39 AM
Clark Bros. have been in business (just south of Warrenton at Opal) for as many years as I can remember. The range is not bad, and it is free. They post that ammo used on the range must be purchased in the store ( I've had them check), and their prices are not all that far off other local gun stores. True it is cheaper at Wally world, IF you can find it. For weeks now I've been after .38 special (Not today is the usual clerk's response).

Some of the RangeMasters are better than others, and there is one individual that is particularly obnoxious, but remember his butt is on the line and they do get a wide range of customers, not all are "Gun Saavy". My favorite aspect is the Rifle Consignment rack. They will get a wide variety, and are pretty good about Wheeling and dealing on these. Same goes for Pistols. I got a really good deal on my Walther P99. The trick is to know before hand what you are looking for and how much to pay.

New stuff is high priced. Scopes for instance are way overpriced. You just need to know that going in.

For me, I wish the full back target boards were another 50 yards back. Its barely 100 yards. The Pistol stalls are limited (I seem to recall 4 that are close in 4 that are a little
further back. Its not a bad range if you are out to "sight in" a new rifle.

You just need to keep in mind the Range is a freebe.

If you are looking for Open Range and plinking Pumpkins, old computer monitors and such skip Clark's and head north towards Front Royal. You go west on 50 for about 15 minutes and then another 10 minutes to "The Cove". There you can shoot at an open range and not be bothered by obnoxious folks. Truely, 100 yards to the back of the range with two side range berms at whatever length you desire. It can become crowded on a very nice day, but my sons and I really like the place. (12 bucks a head to use the facility)

KKKKFL

efeng9622
January 11, 2011, 10:23 AM
Franco2Shoot,

Thank you for letting me know there, I only use .22 rifle and 9mm pistol. The .22 ammo’s price there still can be accepted, but 9mm 50 rounds is $20 ! I only go there very few time and on Saturday or Sunday . just remembered one time the RangeMaster was pretty rude . maybe he is that guy what you mentioned.

Thanks!

gary0529
January 11, 2011, 03:06 PM
Try this one-only about 15 min away from Clark
Bros.

C.F. Phelps

Directions:
The Phelps Wildlife Management Area, located near the village of Sumerduck, is accessible by route 651, either south from U.S. Route 29 through the Town of Remington , or from U.S. Route 17, one mile north of Goldvein Post Office.

The range is located on the C. F. Phelps Wildlife Management Area in Fauquier County near Sumerduck. To get to the range take Route 651 south from Route 29 at Remington or north from Route 17 near Goldvien to Rogers Ford Road , Route 632. Following the range signs, go approximately 1 mile on Rt 632 and take a right onto the gravel hunter access road. Follow the access road and bear right at the end into the range parking area.

Range Operation Dates: September 1 to March 31, closed on Mondays.
Dates Hours
September Closed on Monday
Tuesday-Saturday: 9 AM - 6:30 PM
Sunday: 1 PM - 6:30 PM
October - January Closed on Monday
Tuesday-Saturday: 9 AM - 4:30 PM
Sunday: 1 PM - 4:30 PM
February - March Closed on Monday
Tuesday-Saturday: 9 AM - 5:30 PM
Sunday: 1 PM - 5:30 PM

efeng9622
January 11, 2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the information. I will try to go there to look at sometimes.

JFrame
January 11, 2011, 03:56 PM
This goes back over a couple of decades, but I've bought both guns and ammo at Clark Brothers.

Being a bit more cash-strapped at the time, I would exclusively buy their in-house reload ammo for shooting at the back range. It was dirty as heck, but serviceable, and worked in the autos I was shooting back then just fine (a Colt Model 70 and a Detonics Combat Pro). I'm not sure if they're still selling their home-rolled reloads.

CajunBass
January 11, 2011, 06:24 PM
I've bought both guns and ammo as well as a few other accessories at Clark Brothers. I shoot there fairly often.

Yes, the ammo is more expensive than some other places. Those other places don't have a range. What I have found is it cost about the same to buy ammo there and use the range for "free" as it does to go to "The Range" for example where I can bring my own ammo, but pay to use the range. I have had them ask for a receipt for ammo a couple of times, but not often.

What I usually do is always take a 22 with me when I go to Clark Brothers. A brick of 22 ammo isn't a lot more and lasts a long time.

Never run into a rude range officer there, but I usually shoot on weekdays.

A trip to the store is worth it just to see the "museum" on the walls.

steelerdude99
January 11, 2011, 07:33 PM
I agree w/ CajunBass. Clark Brothers has ammo that's more expensive, but the free shooting range covers it. I too go to “The Range” in Stafford County and it allows you bring your own ammo… as long as it’s “hand gun” ammo. The Range is close for me and somewhat inexpensive, but does NOT allow “rifle calibers”; even win handguns. I had a borrowed Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine that they did not want me to shoot there. That’s why I went to Clark Brothers a few time which is a good 35 miles up US 17 for me.

In addition, when no one had primers locally, Clark Brothers had small pistol for $40/1000 (if memory serves me). I was 100% out of small pistol primers and just happened to be driving by and decided to check. Low and behold, I was back in business. I went about a month either shooting .22 or loading .45 ACP w/ my supply of large pistol primers.

chuck

Varob
January 11, 2011, 08:01 PM
I too have used Clark Bros. I've found they're usually willing to bargain on there high ticket items.

The last time my wife and I went to "The Range", it cost us about $50 to get out of there, so, no real savings.

gregj
January 12, 2011, 09:13 AM
My son and I go there almost every saturday. The weekends can be very busy. Practically every sat am they have a CHP class, and tie up the 7yrd line from about 10 to 11 for the qual portion. We very much enjoy the ability to shoot trap, pistol, or rifle there. If I could find a club in the area that affored the same, and didnt cost me an arm and a leg, I would join.

Yes, they regularily make the announcement about using only Clark ammo. And yes, they do check it and have asked people to leave in the past for using ammo bought elsewhere. I buy my powder and primers there, so I keep my receipts, and have been asked to show them one time.

Some of the ROs have been criticized for begin too gruff, but with all the new comers that come in there, and of varying intelligence, they almost have to. However, they are a lot nicer than the ROs at the NRA HQ range in Fairfax. :barf:

As far as cost savings, you also have to factor in how convenient it is for you. For me, it's about 20 min away, whereas the NRA HQ range is about 40 min. Range time is $14 hr at NR, and they will kick you off before your hour is up. Last time I bought ammo there the prices was pretty reasonable and probably on par with most online prices. At Clarks, you'd have to go through 3 or 4 boxes of their range 9mm ammo before cost will be an issue. They all have their pros and cons to me, just depends on which one works for you.

atblis
January 12, 2011, 09:26 AM
There should be an Izaak Walton around there somewhere.

JFrame
January 12, 2011, 09:29 AM
Some of the ROs have been criticized for begin too gruff, but with all the new comers that come in there, and of varying intelligence, they almost have to.

Heh -- again, this goes back decades, and I don't know if the SOP has changed at the Clark Bros. range since I've been there -- but I recall one time when a cease fire was called for folks to examine or change their targets.

As we all stood at our down-range targets, we heard a shot go off. Evidently, an older man was there with his (I assume) grandson. Again, evidently, the man had jammed his handgun during the time the cease fire was called. I guess he managed to clear the jam while we were changing our targets, and decided to empty the chamber by firing the shot into the ground... :eek:

A range officer very patiently explained to the fellow that during cease fires, you were not to have your hands on your weapon, and to ask for assistance if you didn't know what you were doing. I guess this was one of the un-gruff RO's... :)

steelerdude99
January 12, 2011, 06:15 PM
gregj,
It looks like you are a regular. So, if you buy loading components from Clark Brothers (i.e. powder, bullets and primers), you may shoot them there?

chuck

gregj
January 12, 2011, 08:44 PM
steelerdude99: Yes, if you buy the components there, you can shoot there. Just keep the receipts handy in case an RO asks to see them. I've been asked a few times, but after a while they tend to recognize the "regulars".

jframe: I cant imagine that happening today, and the offender not getting more than an earful!!! :cuss: I've seen the ROs come down very hard on people for moving their guns, and even grabbing their cased firearm during a ceasefire. The ROs are always saying the rule over the intercom at EVERY ceasefire, but some people (ok, a lot) just dont seem to understand. :banghead:

JFrame
January 13, 2011, 12:00 PM
jframe: I cant imagine that happening today, and the offender not getting more than an earful!!! I've seen the ROs come down very hard on people for moving their guns, and even grabbing their cased firearm during a ceasefire. The ROs are always saying the rule over the intercom at EVERY ceasefire, but some people (ok, a lot) just dont seem to understand.
Yesterday 06:15 PM

Hi, gregj -- yeah, I figured that would have to be the case nowadays.

And Clark Bros. has an INTERCOM SYSTEM now??? They have really come a long way since "back in the day"... :D

bobmcd
January 15, 2011, 07:54 AM
The thing I like about Clark's is that it has all three of shotgun, pistol, and rifle ranges in one venue. We typically start with shotgun, since you don't have to wait for a cease fire to start throwing clays, then switch to pistol and rifle when the cease fire allows us to set up targets.

CajunBass
January 15, 2011, 09:37 AM
There should be an Izaak Walton around there somewhere.

There is one right up the road from me, in the Chancelorsville area. I've never been able to figue out how to get in touch with anyone about joining it. <shrugs> Every time I go by, it's closed. The emails I've sent to the address on the IW website (in the past) never got answered. There is another in the Manassas area I believe.

My wife and I recently bought a lot in a private campground that has a "sportsman's club" with a range that almost never gets used. We plan to change that soon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does any Virginia resident know Clark Brother" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!