Winchester Short Magnums

PDA

roc1
January 10, 2011, 05:00 PM
How are the newer short mags living up to there claim of more velocity and accuracy? I have been told the WSSM are bad about fouling and do not deliver much more velocity than std cartridges. I am interested mainly in the 270 WSM more than others.
Thanks
roc1

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Short Magnums" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmr40
January 10, 2011, 05:06 PM
They never claimed to deliver MORE velocity than standard magnum rounds. Just that they could do almost the same thing in a shorter more compact rifle and from shorter barrels in some cases.

If I were buying a standard size and weight rifle I'd just get one of the conventional magnums. If you are thinking about one of the rifles actually designed around the cartridges, such as the Kimbers, they do offer advangages.

txhoghunter
January 10, 2011, 07:49 PM
Ok I have a Savage chambered in .270 WSM. It is a great round, shoots flatter than the already flat shooting .270 and hits hard. It DOES have a higher velocity than the standard .270 (about 200 fps) and I am very fond of the fact that it uses a short action. The only drawback is the price of ammunition (the cheapest I find it is about $35 per box).

But in complete honesty, if I was to go back 4 years or so (when I purchased the rifle) I would go with a .308 instead due to availability/price of ammo and the ballistics being so similar within normal hunting ranges.

I do not notice any excessive barrel fouling, but I clean it after every trip to the range and again, because of the price of ammo, the most I usually shoot at once is 20 rounds.

earlthegoat2
January 10, 2011, 08:06 PM
On paper they are just as good as their long action counterparts.

But..

Is there really that much less length in the action and overall length of the gun? No

Can they do anything any of the others cannot? No

Are they higher pressure (which, all else being equal, is a bad thing) Yes

Is ammo more expensive for them? Yes

Though, they are not a passing fad and are more or less here to stay I still tend to see many of them on stores used gun racks and they are not moving too well in that department. When I worked at a gun shop I would try to pass on all the short magnums brought in or I would off significantly less for them so I would not have to sit on them forever.

If it were me, I would get the standard magnum as well.

Wolfeye
January 10, 2011, 08:27 PM
I've noticed that short magnum ammo is harder to find & is more pricy than their long-action counterparts. Not as many will fit in a magazine, either, if that matters. I've heard some hunters claim that short magnums won't always feed or extract as well, but I've never heard of anyone who experienced this firsthand. I have also heard that short magnums will give slightly tighter groupings than standard magnums.

I think the advantages depend on what you want in a rifle. My impression is that most hunters respect short magnums but tend to prefer standard ammo. I have no idea what a tactical shooter's opinion would be. The only type of rifle I'd specifically want in a short action is a brush gun; other than that, I see no compelling advantage to short magnums.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Short Magnums" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!