AR-15 charging handle

PDA

Echo9
January 11, 2011, 01:58 AM
Why doesn't the charging handle on an AR-15 move when the bolt comes back? Obviously it would smack you in the face if it did, so I know why it was designed that way, but how is it implemented?

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 charging handle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quentin
January 11, 2011, 02:16 AM
The bolt carrier key just slides in the charging handle's groove, no physical connection unless you pull the handle back manually. Also the CH locks to the receiver to stay in place just in case.

PT1911
January 11, 2011, 02:26 AM
What he said.. simply put, the bolt moves back with the charging handle but the charging handle does not move back with the bolt...

small illustration... hook your fingers together, one hand above and one below, fingers making hooks... when you pull back on the top hand, your bottom hand moves with it, if you keep your top hand in place and push your bottom hand in that same direction, your hands come unhooked and the top hand is not forced to move...

Makes sense to me.. LOL

Varob
January 11, 2011, 02:40 AM
Here is a youtube illustration that might help explain things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSqYvWib1og&feature=related

Echo9
January 11, 2011, 02:43 AM
What he said.. simply put, the bolt moves back with the charging handle but the charging handle does not move back with the bolt...

small illustration... hook your fingers together, one hand above and one below, fingers making hooks... when you pull back on the top hand, your bottom hand moves with it, if you keep your top hand in place and push your bottom hand in that same direction, your hands come unhooked and the top hand is not forced to move...

Makes sense to me.. LOL
Ha, that was actually very helpful, thank you.

PT1911
January 11, 2011, 10:50 AM
Ha, that was actually very helpful, thank you.

That may be the most elementary illustration I have ever come up with.. but if it works...:D

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 charging handle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!