This a good deal on a retro AR?

PDA

Spec ops Grunt
January 11, 2011, 02:01 AM
http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Century-M-16A1-Semi-Auto-Rifle-5p82.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "This a good deal on a retro AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quentin
January 11, 2011, 02:14 AM
Not bad at all if you want to go retro!

They don't say what lower they used though.

nwilliams
January 11, 2011, 03:10 AM
Well it's assembled by CAI, if you want to take a chance it's your money.

Personally I'd feel better spending a little more and buying a RRA, Bushmaster, DPMS or Stag and just put an A1 buttstock and handguard on it. It will look identical to that one CAI is selling and at least you'd be buying from an AR from an actual AR manufacturer.

Granted there isn't a whole lot CAI could really screw up on if they built an AR but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they did screw something up. A company that can screw up buildng AK's probably shouldn't be building AR's but that's just my personal opinion.

Spec ops Grunt
January 11, 2011, 03:33 AM
I've heard some things about them grinding of BCGs to make them semi, I figure that would be easy to fix though.

Also, A1 upper makes it a lot better to me than A2 receiver, looks wise. That's just cheating. :neener:

kwelz
January 11, 2011, 10:11 AM
I've heard some things about them grinding of BCGs to make them semi,

Why would they commit such a crime against the gun gods!

Birddog1911
January 11, 2011, 10:40 AM
Hey, if you want retro, make that other member an offer on the one he was asking about yesterday!

Z71
January 11, 2011, 10:40 AM
I own a Century C15 Sporter..made out of a Colt A2 parts kit..or using Colt A2 parts.

Does have a reground..re-machined bolt carrier..ground off to look like a semi auto carrier.

The A2 version is heavy barreled. I noticed the Henderson ad says "unissued M16"..maybe so..that's obviously rifles made from a different batch of rifles than the M16A2 they made my rifle from.

I really like my Century C15 HBAR...it's an excellent rifle with excellent accuracy and function..however it is made from noticably used parts..and quite a few new parts.

Not that the newer century AR builds are the same..but I'll tell you what's new and old on mine.

New parts include the plastic furniture..seems to be a milspec set of new plastic. The lower receiver is new..again a quality piece. Safety and trigger is new..as are all the springs including the buffer spring and the small springs. Barrel is new can't tell you if it's chromed or not..but I suspect not..must be a good quality barrel because accuracy is fantastic.

Everything else is used...well used on my A2. The moving parts don't look heavily used..but the rifle used looks like it was carried a lot! Wear on the edges of the upper receiver, and forward assist...The front sling swivel was worn bad..I replaced it and the rivet. The hammer and bolt carrier have been re-worked..the hammer and trigger pins..the rollpins too are used parts.

The upper receiver looks like the wire-brushed the crap out of it then refinished it. Looks OK..but not equal to a new rifle..the finish on the flash-hider has discolored around the slots. However the finish has held up well otherwise.

Remember..this is an A2 rifle. Century imports these in batches..so really clean M16 A1 rifles may not get new furniture.

Don't know what to tell you about the re-ground bolt carriers(the hammers are worked over too)..Don't understand that myself. Looks like the did a decent enough job of converting full-auto carriers to civilian profile..I did have to do a bit of deburring with a small file in some sharp edges..but otherwise not really noticable...looks re-machined..and not re-ground..

Rifle runs like a champ..reliability has been perfect...workmanship looks 'un-Century-like'

My biggest beef is the worn out front sling swivel..which I replaced with about $5 worth of new parts.

If you enjoyed reading about "This a good deal on a retro AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!