Purpose of Blue Light?

PDA

Cosmoline
January 11, 2011, 12:53 PM
I just picked up a really nice LED torch that casts a broad and intense blue beam. The price was 1/4th retail as they were cleaning the batch out to make room for newer editions. It's a lovely light with a stainless steel body. But I'm not really sure what the intended use of the blue light is. I've seen references to tracking blood, though that seems somewhat unrealistic. I think you need UV for that. Another possibility is it's good in snow, though field testing doesn't show any advantage over white LED except perhaps in noticing the texture of snow banks.

So other than for tracking in snow, what is this good for?

If you enjoyed reading about "Purpose of Blue Light?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sistema1927
January 11, 2011, 07:11 PM
Possibly for letting you know in which aisle K-Mart is having a special?

I, too, have heard that the blue light facilitates blood tracking, but have never checked it out.

highorder
January 11, 2011, 07:25 PM
Blue LED's are available, so they get built into lights. I've tried the "blood tracking" thing, and blue light makes blood look like oil. So does red. And green. It's a wash.

I've never found a use for my blue lights, but I still have them. ;)

Jeff82
January 11, 2011, 07:28 PM
Pulling chicks over late at night....

j/k!!

o Unforgiven o
January 11, 2011, 07:59 PM
Pulling chicks over late at night....

j/k!!
Actually on my Surefire Kroma (standard), if you set the light to secondary high and twist the ring quickly it looks a lot like a lightbar.

jbh13
January 16, 2011, 01:50 PM
You use blue light to check the hotel bed so you can see the bed bugs.

Blood tracking+1

Joe Demko
January 16, 2011, 02:00 PM
Blood appears black under a blue light. Blood is red because it reflects red and absorbs the other parts of the spectrum, including blue.

LED lights come in all kinds of unlikely colors, especially as you move down in price. I expect the manufacturers just use whatever color they got a good price on.

If you enjoyed reading about "Purpose of Blue Light?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!