Quality entry level AK74?

PDA

lastditch
January 13, 2011, 08:03 PM
I've finally decided to take the plunge and get an AK platform. I'm going to go with the 74 as an entry level because of the currently cheap ammo, but where to begin.:banghead: I don't mind spending in the $600 range for a good rock solid gun. Maybe a little more if needed. Any advice is appreciated.

P.S. Do you think the relatively cheap ammo will hold out for a reasonable amount of time?

If you enjoyed reading about "Quality entry level AK74?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sappyg
January 13, 2011, 08:13 PM
can't help you with your 1st question but:

Do you think the relatively cheap ammo will hold out for a reasonable amount of time?

what is a reasonable amount of time to you? 10 years ago i could buy 30 cal carbine ammo for $10 for 50 rnds. now it's pushing $30.

lastditch
January 13, 2011, 08:37 PM
sappyg
Since you obviously had no information to share other than a smart a%& comment about my relative time question, I suggest you read your sig line. Maybe it applies more places than the range.:rolleyes:

db_tanker
January 13, 2011, 08:48 PM
don't really think he was trying to be a smart-a$$ about anything bro. Just step back and take a breath bro. :)

My AK-74 clone is a CUR-2 Romanian. Nice little rifle.

Best bet is a use of the search function here on the rifle boards.

I am not sure what price range you are wanting to keep in...Arsenal SGL 31 can run you close to a grand. I got mine for about 325.

I am sure there are others that can help out on that.

As for ammo, it should stay relatively cheap for the time being, but I would stock up here and there on the russian corrosive and shoot it...the commerical ammo is non-corrosive so less cleaning but more expensive. :(

sappyg
January 13, 2011, 08:57 PM
I suggest you read your sig line. Maybe it applies more places than the range.

that kind of comment is exactly why i found myself here instead of other forums.

search is your friend. that might help you more than starting another thread. as long as your ego doen't get in the way ;)

wally
January 13, 2011, 08:57 PM
IMHO to shoot the cheap ~$130/1080 rounds corrosive ammo the best bet is to get a Saiga 5.45x39 and do the pistol grip conversion. Should be a tad under $500 if you shop carefully and do the work yourself.

But the price gap on the non-corrosive is closing, I've seen Silver Bear 5.45x39 for ~$140/750 rounds and Wolf for ~$200/1000.

If you enjoyed reading about "Quality entry level AK74?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!