AR 100 Round Drum

PDA

TimM
January 13, 2011, 08:33 PM
I am considering a 100 round drum for my AR. Does anyone have/use a 100 round drum on your AR? What make? Any input? Good? Bad?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "AR 100 Round Drum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
avs11054
January 13, 2011, 08:39 PM
No experience whatsoever with them, but if I had $200 to completely blow on anything, a 100 round drum would definintely be on the list of considerations. Only other problem I see is each time you fill it up it's at least $30 if you buy commercial ammo.

Mot45acp
January 13, 2011, 08:43 PM
I have the 100 round Beta C-Mag....Used to be a range toy, cost of ammo has made it unpractical. Kinda gets in the way of your supporting hand without a VFG. No last round bolt hold open. Works ok as a support to shoot from. It is an attempt to turn your AR into a crew served weapon. Right now I'm on the fence, thinking bout selling it.

Any specific questions? I would be happy to answer.

marktx
January 13, 2011, 08:51 PM
If you are not sure about the $ and practicality just get yourself the Korean model.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/drum-ar-22.aspx

Magnuumpwr
January 14, 2011, 01:00 AM
I own 3) beta mags, 2) for AR-15's and 1) for MINI-14. I have only used one of the ar ones and it functioned flawlessly. I do, however own 2 KCI drums made in Korea. Neither of the KCI's have been used or even loaded. Couldn't pass them up at $119 each. As to the function of the Beta, mine is fantastic, but I would advise buying the stripper loader and not the personal loader. The difference is 10 rds per stripper or 5 hand fed rds for the personal. Also the loaders will fit your other AR mags.

CnRnut
January 14, 2011, 07:29 AM
I've got a couple 120 rd. chi-com AR drums.
They function 100%

TimM
January 14, 2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys. I was really wondering about the reliability of these drums and I think you have answered that question for me.

fragout
January 14, 2011, 10:52 AM
we had a few of the Beta C mags on a past deployment. they worked just fine in the select fire M4/s we had, but not very well with the SAW. ( SAW's fault and not the mag.

Keep them well maintained and you shouldnt have any issues with them

kwelz
January 14, 2011, 11:38 AM
They are a gimmick really. Look great in movies and photos but impractical for actual use.

They get in the way of the proper grip on the gun and weigh a LOT. Add to this that many of them have issues if not meticulously cared for and you have what I consider an expensive doorstop.

I can buy 3 PMAGs for less than 40 bucks and have about the same capacity and a much more usable rifle. But if you must have a lot of rounds Surefire and Magpul are both working on larger quad stack mags.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR 100 Round Drum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!