British Police: Stop Committing Crimes, If You Please

PDA

NINEX19
January 24, 2003, 02:29 PM
http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,76513,00.html

Well, I guess it stands to reason (from a British perspective) that if you ban guns, criminals would never think of using one is the same as if you send a letter to a criminal asking them to "make it a priority in any New Year's resolutions you make from 2003 onwards, to cease forthwith your criminal activities" that that is going to happen.

If you enjoyed reading about "British Police: Stop Committing Crimes, If You Please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Airwolf
January 24, 2003, 02:44 PM
http://flymeaway.net/images/anim_lol.gif

PUMC_TomG
January 24, 2003, 02:46 PM
Oh My! :scrutiny: :p

4v50 Gary
January 24, 2003, 02:46 PM
No "Remember you are an Englishman" to appeal to the pride of that seafaring nation? Awwww...

Maybe we could try letter writing here.

"Dear Scum,

We are required under Tarasoff v. Regents of the University of California to advise you that a deranged individual has threatened to seek out and kill individuals with a history of ____. Said individual is a top marksman and is reputed to have won the Wimbledon Cup, the President's Cup and a medal or two from the Olympics. While we are devoting our limited resources to apprehend him before he kills again, we urge you to take precautionary measures. Stay home and out of his scope as he has been known to kill at over 2,000 meters. Better yet, publicly renounce your life of crime, go straight and get a job.

You can also help us by informing your criminal associates and by sharing with us the names of all those whom you've informed.

Sincerely yours,

(sign your name here)
Chief of Police

KMKeller
January 24, 2003, 02:55 PM
Hmmm. Let's take that to the street shall we?

"I say old chap, would you mind removing that dagger from yon gentleman's chest, it looks terribly distressing!" Or perhaps, "Enough of that young man, now put away those matches and petrol and put that young lady out immediately!".

Their logic defies reason.

Leatherneck
January 24, 2003, 02:58 PM
That defies belief! Where's Agricola?

Ag? Do you think this will do any good?

TC
TFL Survivor

dev_null
January 24, 2003, 03:07 PM
"Stop! Or I'll say 'stop' again!"

- Robin Williams on English Bobbies

blades67
January 24, 2003, 03:13 PM
"Of course, I'm hoping they will say: 'You're absolutely right officer, I will stop my criminal ways,"' Miles said. "But we are being realistic. I'm sure some will be angry. These are career criminals but we are career police officers. ... Sending these letters will not do any harm."

Except to the budget because the letters won't do any good.:rolleyes:

HS/LD
January 24, 2003, 03:14 PM
In New Zealand, where I am from, we call the British immigrants:

"Prisoners of Mother England"

or POMs for short.

However it seems that the reality is the "Prisoners of Mother England" are the British 'subjects' that were left behind.

How very sad. :(

At least the are coming with us to bomb Saddam and his crew…

HS/LD

Greg L
January 24, 2003, 03:15 PM
You've got to wonder what kind of genius at HQ came up with this brainstorm. Probably justified his existance for another year and got a good review too.

Greg

Betty
January 24, 2003, 03:32 PM
Oo-hoo! If I was one of those letter recipients, I'd be shakin' in my boots. :D

Feb. 03, 2003
Dear Repeat Offender,
We've been notified that you mugged three more people after we sent you our letter to stop. Please don't do it again.
Thank you.

Feb. 12, 2003
Dear Repeat Offender,
This is our third notice asking you to please stop mugging people. It's been verified that you actually shot one. Where did we go wrong? Are we not asking you nicely enough? We did not mean to offend.
Thank you.

Mar. 16, 2003
Dear Repeat Offender,
Three eyewitnesses have named you as the suspect in the shooting deaths of three people last week. We ask that you please turn yourself in at the nearest police station, along with the firearm you used in the shootings.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Mar. 25, 2003
Dear Repeat Offender,
We stopped by last night to check up on you, as you had not visited our police station per our request. You must have gone out for tea, and we apologize for visiting at an inappropriate time. Please come down to the station as soon as it's convenient.
Thank you.

July 4, 2003
Dear Repeat Offender,
We're sorry to send yet another letter to you, sir. Your neighbors have not seen you for some time, and they believe you may have changed residence...

BerettaNut92
January 24, 2003, 03:44 PM
This has to be a joke!! Bwahahahaahaha

TallPine
January 24, 2003, 03:50 PM
Sending these letters will not do any harm

They might actually do some good, if one or more of the miscreants die laughing.

(would that be cruel and unusual punishment?)

Robby from Long Island
January 24, 2003, 04:50 PM
It's sad to see the continuous decline of what was once a great nation.

4v50 Gary
January 24, 2003, 05:00 PM
Runt, you forgot about the P.S. that mentions the Royal Post is increasing its rate and that the Constabulary cannot afford to post letters anymore. Rather, they post note cards as they are cheaper. BTW, they prefer the email address as it cost even less.

seeker_two
January 24, 2003, 05:21 PM
What's next---harsh language? :banghead:

KMKeller
January 24, 2003, 05:27 PM
What's next---harsh language?Probably writing their names on bathroom walls...

The Plainsman
January 24, 2003, 06:33 PM
That's one of the most insane ideas I have ever seen or heard, regardless of the source. :what:

Do we need to verify that Fox News isn't making this all up? It can't possibly be true. :rolleyes:

jmbg29
January 25, 2003, 02:22 PM
British Police: Stop Committing Crimes, If You Please

Friday, January 24, 2003

LONDON — It gives new meaning to the term "letter of the law."

A British police force announced Friday it has come up with a new measure to combat crime -- a polite letter asking persistent offenders to mend their ways.

On Friday morning, 22 men and women in Wiltshire county, southern England, received personal letters from Inspector Geoff Miles telling them they have a choice -- get back on the straight and narrow or be targeted by police.

The letters were hand delivered to a group of repeat offenders who have been convicted of offenses including burglary, violence and drug and alcohol-related crime.

"I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you that, due to your criminal activity, your name appears on the above data and has highlighted you as a persistent offender," said the letters.

The letter helpfully suggests that the offender "make it a priority in any New Year's resolutions you make from 2003 onwards, to cease forthwith your criminal activities."

Wiltshire Police say the program is experimental, but it will be closely watched by other forces keen to cut down on time spent pursuing repeat offenders.

"Of course, I'm hoping they will say: 'You're absolutely right officer, I will stop my criminal ways,"' Miles said. "But we are being realistic. I'm sure some will be angry. These are career criminals but we are career police officers. ... Sending these letters will not do any harm."

I have lived long enough to have seen it all...I don't know whether to thank God, or curse him. :uhoh: :( :banghead:

Don Gwinn
January 25, 2003, 04:19 PM
Sending these letters will not do any harm."

Actually, I can think of two ways in which sending these letters could do great harm:

1. Several criminals are bound, upon reflection, to decide that the cops must be weak and desperate if they've resorted to sending letters. No good can come of convincing criminals that the police are reduced to this state.

2. Some of the smarter ones will undoubtedly read between the lines. Those letters all but declare that the recipients get at least a few freebies--if they continue to commit crimes, THEN the police will target them. Even if that's not what the writers intended, surely some wishful-thinking crook will take it that way.

If you enjoyed reading about "British Police: Stop Committing Crimes, If You Please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!