Buying guns at pawn shops

PDA

midtennpawnstar
January 15, 2011, 10:58 PM
I have been working at a pawn shop for several years now.I get to handle some very cool guns......and i'd love to hear about what you have found at a pawn shop when it comes to guns.

feel free to post pics id enjoy seeing them:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying guns at pawn shops" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Big Az Al
January 15, 2011, 11:04 PM
I like browsing in pawn shops, the things I like to look at an once in awhile buy are used, depending on the shop, less exspensive then brand new.

what I look for in pawnshops, is something that needs work, most of the times out of what some shops call the AS Is shelf, those can be more interesting then the brand new items.

Shadow 7D
January 15, 2011, 11:04 PM
Um, the part where they try to stick you for so much cash that your looking at selling plasma.

Do yourself a favor, sell a used gun for less than I can buy the same thing new at BudsGun online.
Don't mean to rant but damn man, I have seen junk that pawns shops are selling at gold prices, I mean rusted shut beaters that cost more that the same gun new.

Now that said, thanks to the internet, locally, pawnshops aren't the best deal, the only great deals are in misidentified guns, and those are few and far between.

KingMedicine
January 15, 2011, 11:05 PM
I go to a few pawn shops and always check for deals, just normally around here they are way over priced.

Arkansas Paul
January 15, 2011, 11:22 PM
I do a lot of looking and very little buying. Every now and then you'll find something good though. There are a few around here that have fair prices regularly.

jiphillips
January 15, 2011, 11:26 PM
I've seen examples of both sides of the extreme. Bought a Glock 10mm with 2 magazines in unfired condition for under $500, the only thing missing was the box. Saw a beautiful WASR for a great price, walked away from it because the barrel was so bent you couldn't see light out the other side. Saw a nice Steyr S9, just like the one I was packing at the time, but the lock was messed up and they didn't have a key for it. In this area most pawn shops just pull out the recent edition of the gun price guide and put the same price the full time gun stores do.

sappyg
January 15, 2011, 11:29 PM
the best pawn shop in my area is also the best gun dealer. they have a great selection of everything you could possibly be interested in from Heym doubles to wacked up beater 22s.
no pics yet but one of the last rifle i bought there was a beautifully grained #1 in 45-70 that has had a real good trigger job and shoots lights out. i passed on a very nice #3 in 44 mag. because i just couldn't get with the asking price. you never know what they can pull out of the safe there.

jcwit
January 15, 2011, 11:29 PM
I've made a few super deals at PS's, I do not limit myself to just guns tho, Cameras usually are a super buy, especially SLR film ones, band instruments can really be buys if one has knowledge about good professional instruments. I also check out the jewlery and have gotten good buys on diamonds, but then I have a jewler friend that appraises them for me N/C.

Shops I deal with have a 3 day return, no questions asked, 14 day warrenty.

macadore
January 15, 2011, 11:32 PM
I have never found a deal at a pawn shop I could not beat somewhere else.

FROGO207
January 15, 2011, 11:32 PM
I will look at the local shops around here. At times there are deals to be had for sure. I have seen the local dealer that will try to sell junk at new gun prices and surprise----he only lasted a couple years before going out of business. Now the ones left are most often reasonable priced but there were some high price guns that did not move. Might in the future if they drop prices to a reasonable level on those particular ones. I average 6 or 7 a year if the price is fair from one particular broker. I don't mind paying what the firearm is worth as everyone needs to make a living and I understand that. I think that some dealers do not know how to set a fair price for a used gun using the resources available. I have purchased a couple Ruger Blackhawks, An M1 carbine (underwood), several hunting rifles and a buttload of reloading supplies---all at good prices for the time purchased. I am sure I will do a lot more business with these pawn brokers in the future.

midtennpawnstar
January 15, 2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the responses and i do agree some pawn shops do gouge the prices on used and new guns and its usually when there is not much competition from what i've seen.....My boss who has been in the pawn business for over 30 years now knows little to nothing about guns especially new production guns......i have self appointed myself to handle the gun transaction from pawning and buying them to selling them to customers. I also occasionally buy something to fix up when we buy a gun that could use some TLC. The whole thing with my pawn shop is that we are competing with local gun shops and big stores like Dick's so i price things to move....one of our best sellers are new Glocks that we sell for 499 plus tax and tics (this is not for the newest gen 4 Glock however) and we cant keep them on the shelves. Other than that we sell a ton of used guns from Lefever shotguns to used hi point pistols and everything in between.

rondog
January 15, 2011, 11:43 PM
Never have the time to cruise 'em. The prices usually turn me off too. But I did find a helluva score in this Enfield, got it for $150. It was filthy dirty, was missing the rear sight and had a scope mounted on it, but after cleaning it up I realized it's a genuine No.5 Mk.1 Rifle, a "Jungle Carbine", in excellent shape. It's the real thing, not a manufactured copy made from a No.4, and it's all matching numbers too, except the magazine. Bought a rear sight for $30, a correct sling for another $15, refinished the wood, and it's gorgeous now! Made in 1947, one of the last ones made. I could use a few more scores like this one.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/my%20Enfields/DSCN2383.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/my%20Enfields/DSCN2930.jpg

burrhead
January 15, 2011, 11:44 PM
A couple of yeas ago I bought an 181/2-inch Mossberg 500 Marine Coat at a pawnshop for $150. It has a big rub mark on the barrel but functions perfectly. I put a heat shield on it just to cover the booger on the barrel. So Iíve got a good shotgun for repelling boarders that looks good for less than a $175. Whatís not to like.

mljdeckard
January 15, 2011, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't say I frequent them. In fact I don't think I've been in one in years. I don't crave guns in the abstract, in that I would walk into a shop to see what I could find. When I buy, I'm looking for something specific, and I don't usually find the specific thing I'm looking for in pawn shops.

I suppose there are a few things at the bottom of the list I could find at a pawn shop, 870 and 10/22 frames to customize, an old bolt-action .22 and a 20 ga for the kids, an AK of some flavor or other if I feel I just need to get one, stuff like that.

As for their prices, I regard pawn shops as the ultimate free market indicator. Pawnbrokers control both the buying price and the selling price, it is entirely their success if suckers pay too much, and entirely their fault if they take a bath on something. This is why I love watching Pawn Stars.

jl1966
January 15, 2011, 11:54 PM
I have found that some pawn shops have good prices from time to time.
S&W model 10 nice shape for $250
Savage 110 .270 w/ scope and sling for $275
Win. 94 1969 manuf. $150
High Standard sentinel $80
Ruger 10/22 butler crk. heavy barrel and Hogue stock $150
You just have to know which ones to hit and what you are looking at.

GCBurner
January 15, 2011, 11:56 PM
A couple of the larger area pawn shops get tables at the gun shows here. They have a wide assortment, about half of which could be called junk - old Iver Johnson and Rohm revolvers, Raven and Jennings .25s and .32s, and various shot out, worn out, or broken S&Ws and Colts. Occasionally, you can find a gem at a good price, but you have to know what you're looking at.

brandon_mcg
January 16, 2011, 12:20 AM
i voted no even though my last gun purchase came from a pawn shop and it was only the first time that i had been in a pawn shop looking for guns. got a great deal the week before Christmas.

MikeG
January 16, 2011, 12:23 AM
I've found a Swedish Mauser M-96 for $100, and a Brazilian M1908 Mauser for $90.

Pegwedge
January 16, 2011, 12:34 AM
You guys are going to the wrong pawn shops. I've worked in one for a few years now and we price stuff to move. We don't have much competition though. Just Wal-Mart and another pawn shop across town whose prices are through the roof. I cringe when people come to my shop and say they bought a gun from the other guy for twice what we would sell it for.

An example: A customer brought me an old Glenfield 30-30 a few weeks ago. I would sell one of those for probably $180 and that's in great shape. Someone had taken this one and, don't ask me how, put what looked to be a Winchester 94 stock on it. So it was all screwed up. Then they told me they had given close to $400 at the other shop for it...

Back to my point; we're not all price gougers. Just have to find the right shop.

midtennpawnstar
January 16, 2011, 12:38 AM
You guys are going to the wrong pawn shops. I've worked in one for a few years now and we price stuff to move. We don't have much competition though. Just Wal-Mart and another pawn shop across town whose prices are through the roof. I cringe when people come to my shop and say they bought a gun from the other guy for twice what we would sell it for.

An example: A customer brought me an old Glenfield 30-30 a few weeks ago. I would sell one of those for probably $180 and that's in great shape. Someone had taken this one and, don't ask me how, put what looked to be a Winchester 94 stock on it. So it was all screwed up. Then they told me they had given close to $400 at the other shop for it...

Back to my point; we're not all price gougers. Just have to find the right shop.
Amen Brother! I like nothing more than making somebody a deal on a gun then they will come back talk shop with me and more than likely buy another one.

jcwit
January 16, 2011, 12:45 AM
And right there is why I cruise the PS's. I even have a couple that tell me to let them know as soon as I wish to see something. They know I'm a buyer, not just a walker. They have someone waiting on me even if they need to get somebody out of the office.

Furncliff
January 16, 2011, 12:52 AM
A new pawn shop opened up near me about 6 months ago. The first time I walked in I knew I could frequent their store. They had built beautiful Cherry gun cabinets across all the walls of the gun room. Glass doors and great lighting. All the rifles and pistols are available to fondle as you wish, there's someone always in the room, but you can pick up and examine anything you wish. I like rim fire, and they always point out the new rifles when I come in. A month ago I bought a Remington rifle and couldn't get it to run for me. They told me to return it and they would refund the purchase price.

788Ham
January 16, 2011, 12:59 AM
My buddy and I were in a PS awhile back, just looking around. We ended up by the gun counters, just gawkin' around, when I saw this nice little Beretta pistol. Twice I had the salesman take it out so I could look at it, Beretta 1934 .32 auto { actually a 7.65 mm}, two mags and the original Italian Air Force holster. They had it marked for $300, I talked him down to $175 OTD and I walked. God only knows how long since that dude had been cleaned, barrel is very good, springs throughout were lousy! Ordered springs for the whole pistol, Wolff Spgs., took it to my smithy and he replaced all of the springs, I'd done the mag springs. Shoots like a champ!

Pegwedge
January 16, 2011, 01:07 AM
Amen Brother! I like nothing more than making somebody a deal on a gun then they will come back talk shop with me and more than likely buy another one.

When I started at the shop, I knew little about guns but grew up with them. Now, after handling them everyday, it's my number one hobby. And there's nothing better than a nice, knowledgable customer. I love to talk guns. Heck, I'll knock $25-$50 off something even if they don't ask for a discount just because I enjoyed the chat. Pawn shops get a bad rep for price gouging and sleazery but I help a lot of people make it to payday with eough groceries and diapers and get to have some fun while doing it.

Onward Allusion
January 16, 2011, 01:10 AM
Pawn shops are a crap shoot. Sometimes you'll see a used Heritage RR for $250. Other times you can find a 2nd gen Sigma for $175. One of the better deals I found was an unfired NEF Pardner Pump in 20 ga with walnut furniture for $100.

midtennpawnstar
January 16, 2011, 01:22 AM
I understand completely and i do the same thing if somebody is being real sociable and polite.... i have no problem cutting them a discount of the price without them inquiring about it.I have to drive about 45 mins to work everyday and if i have had a couple of good conversations with some customers it makes that ride home seem alot shorter.

Shadow 7D
January 16, 2011, 02:27 AM
Most of the local shops got bought out by 'cash amercia' and lets just say, um no, not good prices

M91/30
January 16, 2011, 02:42 AM
I have bought all my guns at pawn shops.(Except my new addition)
All were a general used price but I got to touch the gun before i bought it so its just like buying from and individual. Decent prices and every now and again they sell things far too cheap( for them anyways):D

hemiram
January 16, 2011, 03:47 AM
I've had some luck at finding good, maybe even great deals at pawn shops in the past, but not lately. I went to one a while back and I would have sworn I was in the local place that is just insane on used gun prices, with worse decor. Crazy prices. Anyone who buys from either place is a sucker.

joneb
January 16, 2011, 04:37 AM
I've found a few good deals at pawn shops, it's all about the timing :)

bayhawk2
January 16, 2011, 05:57 AM
I've made some good buys.You have to be a haggler.
Haggle,haggle,haggle.You can get some deals at P/S's.Sometimes.

wideym
January 16, 2011, 06:02 AM
I've found many excellent deal at pawnshops. I bought an IMI Desert Eagle .44 LNIB for $750, a S&W 25-8 JM/Performance Center Edition for $700, and many others.

Zach S
January 16, 2011, 07:08 AM
Not a big fan of pawn shops. Most seem overpriced on guns, and others are overpriced on everything.

The last time I went browsing at pawn shops I was looking to replace my TV for cheap. I ended up at walmart, got a better TV than I had seen in any pawn shop, and spent less money...

I haven't been in a pawn shop since before my marriage ended - and I wasn't shopping at the time.

doc2rn
January 16, 2011, 08:45 AM
I have only found 3 great deals at pawn shops, and they always carried them out of the back room.
Marlin mod 60
Winchester 30-30
Ruger 77/22 Mk II

Sav .250
January 16, 2011, 09:14 AM
There is a pawn shop near me and they have a ton of guns. All makes and models. But one thing is for certain, they price their weapons out of sight!
Come to think of it, maybe that`s why they have a "ton of guns" for sale.

Have come across much better prices at Gun Shows. Although at times even thay ask crazy prices .

wishin
January 16, 2011, 10:24 AM
I bought a very nice Ruger Vaquero at a pawn shop several years ago. It was below market price. Also picked up an unfired Colt Nevada Centennial in a presentation box for what I feel was a fair price. (It was subsequently stolen in a burglary:()

kym
January 16, 2011, 11:17 AM
Marlin 336 $100
Comanche .357 $100
Nylon 66 $60
Kal Tec P11 $100
Mossburg 500 $125
Cobray M11/9 $185
AK22 $125
Colt 1911A1 $275 (that was back in 1979)

frankenstein406
January 16, 2011, 11:17 AM
Haven't found any good deals yet except a lot of 6mm ammo. They seem pretty high otherwise.

AZ_Rebel
January 16, 2011, 11:20 AM
Every pawn shop I have visited had prices that were just rediculous.

Tpr0811
January 16, 2011, 11:23 AM
Have yet to find any kind of a deal at a Pawn Shop and very rarely go into them anymore.

Aahzz
January 16, 2011, 11:24 AM
There's a local pawn shop that also sells new guns - and they're the best priced shop in the area. Prices on new guns are normally right at or within $10 of Bud's price, and are not negotiable - which is fine with me, because I'm not going to be able to negotiate any better than that anywhere else. Bud's is only about an hour drive for me, but it's worth the extra $10 to not bother. Use guns are usually priced well, and they negotiate quickly on them, frequently dropping to less than I was going to offer.

So yeah, I buy guns at a pawn shop :).

JTH
January 16, 2011, 11:40 AM
I've just moved to a small city in S.E. Texas. When I have the time I've started checking out the Pawn shops. You have the franchise pawn shops but there is one local shop that carrys a good selection of guns/pistols. I go in looking around have gotten to know the guys behind the counter. Whether they are the owner is questionable but if they're slow, we have a chance to discuss weapons. Their prices are within reason, I still haven't purchased from them yet but it sure doesn't hurt to get to know the guys. Their Glock's are reasonably priced and that will probably be my next pistol a Glock19. I may wait for a deal on a good used one, give them my number and a list of weapons that I'm interested in purchasing and tell them to give me a call.
JT

ulflyer
January 16, 2011, 11:54 AM
Every shop I've been in have overpriced guns. Have never bought one when I can get new at same price. Same goes for tools.

bigalexe
January 16, 2011, 12:00 PM
One pawn shop I stop into every now and then in this area. The ONLY reason I go in is to laugh at their ridiculously high prices even compared to Gander Mountain. They do have some parts and some other stuff at decent prices but entire firearms are way too much.

Example: I was looking for a .22LR and asked what they had. I said I wanted a cheap one to plink around with and would settle for a single shot. The cheapest they claimed to have was $300.

Liberty1776
January 16, 2011, 12:04 PM
It's definately a crapshoot. The only good thing I've found locally was a few years ago, I bought a Dangerfield-LeFever SxS shotgun, (forerunner of the LeFever shotguns. And the cool part was, it was serial # 3...

frankiestoys
January 16, 2011, 12:13 PM
I use too, i only bought one years ago, most times their prices are way off

jerkface11
January 16, 2011, 12:35 PM
I got Ruger M77 with the boat paddle stock in .264 winmag for under $350 at a pawn shop. Gave it a good cleaning and it's as accurate a rifle as you could ask for.

Flynt
January 16, 2011, 12:54 PM
I frequent them, but it's been years since I've found a good deal.

nosmr2
January 16, 2011, 01:04 PM
The pawn shops around here are horrible. I needed a socket a while back for a one time application so I thought I would check th PS out for a used one to save a few bucks and check out the guns while there. A used rusty no name brand socket ran $6, the same price as a new Husky with a warranty. The same thing on guns, the wanted new Walmart retail price on a used Ruger 10/22. I would never pay those prices, but apparently someone does or they would ask that for them. There is a reason why poor people stay poor, unfortunately.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

MiniZ
January 16, 2011, 02:45 PM
I still go to pawn shops out of curiosity, but I have never run across a deal yet. Most pawnshops around here love their inventory too much to price it to move.

mmitch
January 16, 2011, 03:12 PM
MidTenn,

If you work in the 'boro or Twangtown, we've probably crossed paths. I was looking in the Madison Berry's, just yesterday.
I have learned, in some shops, the price on the tag may be just a "suggestion!"

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/satcong_01/detSpec3Inch_9234.jpg

This 3" dick special was purchased from Toliver's Pawn on Gallatin road before they were robbed, shot and, subseqently decided to no longer sell firearms from that location.
I paid low book, for it's condition, but how many do you see?

It has been accumu-lected. Resistance (on-the-part-of-the-buyer) is futile

Mike!

ngnrd
January 16, 2011, 03:20 PM
Pawn shops make money on the buy, and they make money on the sell. So, I don't see why they consistently feel the need to price their merchandise above market value just in case there's a sucker out there. I know that most shops will haggle, but I don't want to have to practice my negotiation skills every time I walk in the door. Listen, not every gun is a collector's item, or has some historical significance. Sometimes it's just gun. Price it accordingly and I might buy it.

Walkalong
January 16, 2011, 03:23 PM
Deals at pawn shops are getting slimmer these days, but they are still there from time to time. It takes patience persistence.

CZguy
January 16, 2011, 03:49 PM
I'm struck by how many people don't seem to understand the system for purchasing from a pawn shop. It's an art best learned from a Turkish rug merchant, but you can learn it on your own. The price tags in a pawn shop are simply opening bids to start the ball rolling. You have to know the actual value of the gun in order to play this game, it won't work if you just throw a number out there. For example lets say we are looking for a good used Marlin model 60. In this area they are worth $60-80 dollars. (the price tag in a pawn shop will read $125-150 dollars) Depending on the condition of the gun I would make a cash offer, of say $55-60 dollars. The owner would the look in his book to see what he had paid for it. He might or might not make you a counter offer. You still have room to negotiate, you say say that would be fine but it has to be out the door, meaning he would be the one to pay taxes. It doesn't always work, it depends how much you want to buy and how much he wants to sell. You can always walk away and come back in a week. Don't be scared to walk away, if it's more than you want to pay. If this doesn't sound like fun to you, then pawn shops may not be the place for you.

JohnBlaze
January 16, 2011, 04:02 PM
I've bought from a pawn shop before, but it wasn't where I live now. The town I live in now has one pawn shop, and all their prices are through the roof. One time they had a very used and abused ruger new vaquero and they wanted 650 for it. I ended up going home and getting on gunbroker and bought the same gun in .44 mag for $365, in like new condition. The one they were selling was a .357 mag. But then again one of my good gunner buddies has an ffl and he receives and transfers for me for free. I've gotten the best deals i can speak of on gunbroker or from individuals. My best deal ever was a Schmidt Rubin .308 for 50 dollars, and man does that gun shoot beautifully. All I had to do was clean it. Another time I was looking for a little plinking .22 for my little brother and the cheapest one they had was a beat to sh*t Marlin Model 60 for $195. I bought the same gun brand new at WallyWorld for $135, with taxes.

Flynt
January 16, 2011, 04:16 PM
I'm struck by how many people don't seem to understand the system for purchasing from a pawn shop. It's an art best learned from a Turkish rug merchant, but you can learn it on your own. The price tags in a pawn shop are simply opening bids to start the ball rolling. You have to know the actual value of the gun in order to play this game, it won't work if you just throw a number out there. For example lets say we are looking for a good used Marlin model 60. In this area they are worth $60-80 dollars. (the price tag in a pawn shop will read $125-150 dollars) Depending on the condition of the gun I would make a cash offer, of say $55-60 dollars. The owner would the look in his book to see what he had paid for it. He might or might not make you a counter offer. You still have room to negotiate, you say say that would be fine but it has to be out the door, meaning he would be the one to pay taxes. It doesn't always work, it depends how much you want to buy and how much he wants to sell. You can always walk away and come back in a week. Don't be scared to walk away, if it's more than you want to pay. If this doesn't sound like fun to you, then pawn shops may not be the place for you.

CZ, that's a great primer on buying @ pawn shops -- when they're managed intelligently. I've been amazed at how owners are apparently content with letting an item gather dust for a year or longer. They'll put a high price on a gun and let it sit there. I don't know how you can run a business that way, because they're tying up their investment for a long period of time.

Quaamik
January 16, 2011, 05:41 PM
I used to, not anymore though.

Here in Michigan pawn shops cannot take handguns on pawn. I'm not completely sure if they can buy and sell them, but I never see them in any near here so I assume not.

As for rifles and shotguns, only one shop near me ever put them out for display. The rest wanted to know what you were looking for, then would go in the back, find one or two they thought you might like, and let you see them. a waste of time if unless you are looking for a specific type of gun.

The one that used to put them out only put out 5 - 10 at a time (and they were usually rusted out crap). When they finally decided to clear out thier inventory, they had a 'smith go through them and price them, then they put the new batch on the shelf every Thursday morning (while most are at work). The local gun stores picked anything of value before lunch. Since then, they sold the place to new owners who will ONLY sell guns through gunbroker and they will not let you see them at the store or even take delivery from there (I live a half mile from them, and would have to transfeer it to another FFL to take delivery). They also sell them all as "As is - not assumed to be safe to fire", which I read as pretty much no return unless it isnt the make / model it was advertised as.

All that turned me off pawn shops for guns.

351 WINCHESTER
January 16, 2011, 06:53 PM
All the shops that I used to frequent only had junk guns. I suspect the good guns didn't last long. If you ever buy a used black powder gun please check it as you might find it loaded.

Ignition Override
January 16, 2011, 08:52 PM
rondog:

If there were a chance that a Memphis/Atoka area PS would have such a classic, I would visit them. You found a gem and did excellent work.

Weevil
January 16, 2011, 09:37 PM
Over the years I found some great deals but they've got few and far between lately.

The past couple of years since the Obama Panic have been the worst. Prices are near new on anything decent and even the beat up old clunkers are way overpriced. And what's worse is most of them aren't willing to haggle and deal like they used to, same with gunshops they used to throw in a lot of extras to make the sale but now the price is the price.

At the price used stuff is going for I'd just as soon spend the few extra dollars and buy new.

wvstriper
January 16, 2011, 10:12 PM
Pegwedge what town in WV are you in?

midtennpawnstar
January 16, 2011, 10:16 PM
marlin 336 $100
comanche .357 $100
nylon 66 $60
kal tec p11 $100
mossburg 500 $125
cobray m11/9 $185
ak22 $125
colt 1911a1 $275 (that was back in 1979)
wow! Want some of those deals! :)

midtennpawnstar
January 16, 2011, 10:25 PM
MidTenn,

If you work in the 'boro or Twangtown, we've probably crossed paths. I was looking in the Madison Berry's, just yesterday.
I have learned, in some shops, the price on the tag may be just a "suggestion!"

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/satcong_01/detSpec3Inch_9234.jpg

This 3" dick special was purchased from Toliver's Pawn on Gallatin road before they were robbed, shot and, subseqently decided to no longer sell firearms from that location.
I paid low book, for it's condition, but how many do you see?

It has been accumu-lected. Resistance (on-the-part-of-the-buyer) is futile

Mike!
mmitch we probably have crossed paths...and we have a Colt detective special right now its in good shape prob close to what you have,but i think the barrel is shorter and it has a hammer guard on it for carrying it in your pocket and not snagging on anything.

JVaughn
January 16, 2011, 10:30 PM
I've looked a lot, and usually the price turns me off - which seems to be a recurring theme among the others here as well.

I did once buy a Coast-to-Coast model 12GA at a pawn shop for $80. It's not worth much more in cash; but it's the best shotgun I've ever owned. To me, it was a great deal.

lokpyrite
January 17, 2011, 01:57 AM
With Big AZ Al there, the local pawn shops in Phoenix are priced higher then new on some items and the other items are 10% under new and look like crap.

Pegwedge
January 17, 2011, 11:59 AM
Pegwedge what town in WV are you in?

Summersville. You?

midtennpawnstar
January 17, 2011, 01:04 PM
Actually to correct what i earlier said we have a colt agent 38 special that looks alot like yours but has a shorter barrel and hammer guard

oldbear
January 17, 2011, 01:12 PM
Pawn and second hand shops used to be great places to find good to decent prices on an assortment of items. Over the last few years it appears as if most of the deals have gone away, with prices close to or exceeding new. Nor do I have the time to go from different shop to different shop.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying guns at pawn shops" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!