Help Determining Year for Smith and Wesson 27-2

PDA

shillito4
January 17, 2011, 07:31 AM
If someone with the Smith and Wessen Manual can help me determine the year my model 27-2 was produced it would be much appreciated. I just pick it up from a gun show and I want to learn more abbout it. the serial number I can find (there is not one on the butt) is N 941xxx. I will include some pictures for teh hell of it also.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help Determining Year for Smith and Wesson 27-2" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DickM
January 17, 2011, 08:21 AM
Serial numbers ran from N900000 in 1982 to N97XXXX in 1986, but the 27-3 was introduced in 1982, so if it's a -2 it was most likely made in that year. From the photos, the gun doesn't appear to have a pinned barrel, which a 27-2 should have. It it's stamped as a -2 and doesn't have the pinned barrel (or counterbored cylinder), then it must have been made as a "transitional" gun as production was shifting from -2 to -3. I would have thought with the N941 prefix the gun would be well into the -3 production, so you may want to double check the model number stamped on the frame inside the yoke cutout. You would need to remove those target grips to find the SN on the butt - if you did that and still didn't see one that would be most unusual.

shillito4
January 17, 2011, 08:38 AM
If you swing the cylinder out, right below the serial number it is stamped as a 27-2. I will go home and remove the grip and see what it says. Either way, I took it to the gun range the last two days and it fired great, so I am not that concerned if it was a -3 as long as it is a true S&W. either way it is older than me.

DickM
January 17, 2011, 09:03 AM
I agree. Whether it's a -2 or a -3, it's still a great gun.

If it's really stamped as a -2 and doesn't have the pinned barrel and counterbored cylinder (as a -2 should) then it's something of an unusual gun and I think would clearly indicate that it was assembled during the transition from one model to the next. Or possibly it was a gun that was assembled well into the -3 period using an old -2 frame. I think you'll find the SN also stamped on the butt, and if not then it's really an unusual gun.

shillito4
January 18, 2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the help. I went home and took the target grips off and the serial number on the bottom matched the one under the cylinder. From what people are saying about the serial numbers range for years and that 27-2 stopped in 82 and went to -3, it seems this was made in 1982.

When I took the grips off, there where some interesting stamps. I have added pictures of them. The right side has an I inside of a triangle, a D inside of a circle, and some numbers. The left side is more interesting. It has a large N ( I am guessing this denotes the frame), an RE, an L10, a 64, a combination of numbers different from the left side, and the then some combination of symbols I do not understand nor can I tell what they are. The pic of this side is not that good.

If anyone knows what these are it would be much appreciated.

Flint Ridge
January 18, 2011, 07:48 PM
I was thinking the N was for Nickle, as in the factory did it which makes it worth more, but I've only been looking at Smith's for a few weeks.

Thatguy686
January 19, 2011, 02:55 PM
the N is for the frame size

Iggy
January 19, 2011, 07:51 PM
It is an N frame, but the N is for a factory nickle finish.

It should also be present on the rear of the cylinder when you open it.

Most of the other symbols etc. are assembly marks for keeping the parts of the gun together during plating and fitting, and have no meaning once the gun left the factory.

With the close space between the rear of the cylinder and the breech face, I would suspect that the cylinder is recessed. As mentioned, the absence of a pinned barrel would make me suspect a transitional gun too.

This probably has no efffect either positively or negatively on the value of the gun.

You've got a dandy. Enjoy it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help Determining Year for Smith and Wesson 27-2" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!