CZ 75B vs. FN FNP-9

PDA

TX expat
January 17, 2011, 04:51 PM
I realize these two are sort of like an apple and an orange, but I'm asking for thoughts and opinions anyway!

I'm looking for a somewhat inexpensive paper puncher and I think I've narrowed it down to these two, so I thought I'd see what opinions I got from the knowledgeable folks on THR. I've had the opportunity to get my hands around both and I'm not put off by the way either one feels. They both have fairly similar new and used pricing, so I can't really use that as a deciding factor. I'm mostly looking for nothing more than a fun, reliable gun to play with at the range, but I've thought more than once about maybe getting into some of the competitive handgun sports, so this would probably also be the pistol that I used for that, if I ever get around to doing it...

My only real criteria (other than a limited dollar amount) when I started doing some research was that I really wanted to get something SA/DA instead of one of the striker fired type pistols. I already have an XD and so I thought something different would be fun in a lower recoiling caliber. That's where I started, and these two guns are where I have ended up, so if you have any opinions or experience with either one, or even better, if you have experience with both of 'em, please give me your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ 75B vs. FN FNP-9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sniper4usmc
January 17, 2011, 05:48 PM
I have both,,and CZ is more accurate then FNP

metalman8600
January 17, 2011, 06:43 PM
I would go with the CZ-75b. It would have lesser recoil due to the weight, and it's a classic!

Dunedain
January 17, 2011, 08:14 PM
CZ 75 all the way. :)

JohnGalt88
January 17, 2011, 08:20 PM
The CZ.

For paper punching i would go with a CZ75 SA, they have an excellent trigger pull and are only 40-70 dollars more.

rellascout
January 17, 2011, 08:21 PM
Which one fits your hand better. I love the 75B but the length of pull is too long for me. The FN9 works. Its a poor man's Sig. IMHO

They were a steal under $400. Then again I paid $350 for my 75B back when I had one. :)

The problem with the 75B and all CZ is the trigger stacking. Without a custom trigger job by someone like Angus you will notice it. It is not a deal breaker but it is there. On the other side I feel the FNP9 is a little spongy.

Lvl21nerd
January 17, 2011, 08:36 PM
i am biased, but i would go with the CZ anyways (again) because the thing i dont like about the FNP is the "cheap" look/feel of the decocker...and i guess the barrel could stand to be a bit thicker...its a good gun but i like a CZ quite a bit more

Furncliff
January 17, 2011, 08:36 PM
Trigger is something to deal with on the CZ, but on the other side...oh man they are sweet. I prefer steel. I have the .22 Kadet conversion too, very fast switch and really nice to shoot rimfire with your full size 9mm.

potmetal
January 17, 2011, 08:43 PM
I'm gonna say the FN. I love both guns, have owned both, and put alot of rounds through both. The CZ is a classic design and a great shooting gun, but I found the FN to be easier to point, shoot, and keep on target.
It's all in the way it feels in your hands, but I was very impressed with the FNP9.

oasis618
January 17, 2011, 08:48 PM
Both nice guns but my vote goes to the CZ without hesitation.

speedway
January 17, 2011, 08:52 PM
My FNP-9 is a tack driver. It is a pleasure to shoot. I would not hesitate to pick one up. They are available for short money since the FNX came out.

jmr40
January 17, 2011, 09:02 PM
I've tried the CZ and was left unimpressed. I've not owned one of the FN's yet, but would buy one in a minute over the CZ.

schmeky
January 17, 2011, 10:21 PM
I had a NIB FNP-45 and it was the best machined, fitted, and finished production pistol I have ever owned in it's price range. The machining was flawless. I never could shoot it as well as I thought it could shoot. This is the shooter, not the pistol.

Accuracy wise, I can drill most anything with a CZ, the ergonomics and all steel construction suite me. I have handled some FNP-9's, but I prefer a CZ.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

TX expat
January 17, 2011, 10:31 PM
Well I'll say this, I'm actually glad to see that both have some strong words of support, because I really don't dislike either pistol. I was originally leaning towards the CZ, but the FN selections seem to be more available and a little less expensive, though not much. The FN trigger did feel the smoother of the two on a full pull, but from a cocked position, they were both pretty nice.

I wonder if I can talk my wife into my need for both???

Lvl21nerd
January 17, 2011, 10:38 PM
i think the CZ has cheaper magazines (Greg Cote, LLC...the anti-friction MecGars)

AFAIK, the FNP mags are about $10 more each...if that matters to you

viking499
January 17, 2011, 10:41 PM
Never had an FN, but have had CZ's for years. Handled the FN's but they don't fit my hand like the CZ's do.

My vote is for the CZ.

iibao
January 17, 2011, 10:53 PM
I have a CZ, and love it. :D

I wonder if I can talk my wife into my need for both???

Hahahaha, good luck!

CZ57
January 17, 2011, 11:05 PM
CZ75 for a paper puncher.

FNP if you think you might ever carry with it and I like the interchangeable backstraps for fitting the gun to your hand.;)

wbwanzer
January 18, 2011, 12:55 PM
I've never owned or fired the FNP, but I have an FNX-9 that I picked up last week. (See my range report posted on this forum). I would say FNP or FNX. I've had two CZs. I liked them but couldn't shoot well with them. Didn't like the triggers. Sold both.

My FNX has a really nice SA trigger pull. Much nicer than either of the CZs I owned.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ 75B vs. FN FNP-9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!