39a Forend removal

PDA

robmints
January 17, 2011, 05:01 PM
The forend screws are very tight. Any suggestions? And there is something in the instructions about a tenon left to right, what exactly are they referring to? A million pictures of 39's and none of this tenon.

Many Thanks!!

If you enjoyed reading about "39a Forend removal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
January 17, 2011, 07:19 PM
Unless you have absolutely NO choice, leave it in place.
They come apart very easily, but when you try to reassemble, it's extremely easy to get the screws cross threaded.

To disassemble, first order a Brownell's Magna-Tip bit number 180-4, item number 080-180-435.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41568/Product/MAGNA_TIP_SUPER_SET_BITS

Remove the magazine tube by pushing out the small pin in the tube ferrule and sliding the magazine tube forward and off.

Use the gunsmith's bit to unscrew the screws. The gunsmith bit prevents chewing the screws or the fore end cap up.

Once the screws are out, the cap slides forward.
Under the cap is the fore end tenon. Here's an exploded view. The tenon is part number 10:

http://www.stevespages.com/ipb-marlin-39a.html

Pull the fore end downward slightly and slide forward to remove.
The tenon is slide sideways out of the barrel dovetail.

Reassembly is what's hard and where the "fun" starts.
The idea is to put the fore end back on then pull to the rear HARD while you just start one screw then just start the other, then tighten both.
It never seems to work that way.
You can't pull the fore end and cap far enough to the rear to get the screws started straight, and invariably at least one of them wants to go in cross threaded.
I suspect the factory uses some sort of assembly jig to force things into alignment.
What most people find is that it's near impossible to get them started without cross threading, and a good many used Marlin's have at least one screw cross threaded.

To reassemble the magazine tube, insert it into the fore end cap and back until it touches the receiver. Rotate the tube until it slips into it's hole in the receiver.
Reinstall the tiny pin in the ferrule, but make SURE you have the tiny slot in the tube properly lined up with the hole in the ferrule.

robmints
January 17, 2011, 07:36 PM
Thank you very much. About 30 seconds after seeing how it is put together I had it apart. A picture is worth a thousand words. I just want to clean the stocks and the the little white plastic beauty shims between the butt plate and mid heal plate. I am not going to take the tube off, that will come clean without removal. Just need to give it a super complete clean and oil so I can give it back to dad. It spends most of it's life on the rack, but it needs to look good doing it. Plus I love shooting it so I feel I owe it some care. I will be extra careful putting the forend tip screws back in their block, thank you for the warning.

If you enjoyed reading about "39a Forend removal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!