Who all makes a revolver in .460?

PDA

beeenbag
January 17, 2011, 09:52 PM
Any one seen 4'' .460? I couldn't find one on s&w's website so I was wondering who else made one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who all makes a revolver in .460?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
General Geoff
January 18, 2011, 12:55 AM
I've personally seen 4" 460 Smith revolvers, but I see they don't list one on their website anymore. I wonder if they discontinued them in that barrel length?

Anyway, the only other manufacturer I can think of who might make a revolver chambered in .460 would be Magnum Research, with their BFR.

jibbs
January 18, 2011, 08:39 AM
As far as I know, S&W never made a 4" in the 460, just the 500.

They did however make one in a 5", I know because I looked for one for a solid month and finally picked it up last week. The bad news is that it is now discontinued so the only hope you have of finding one would most likely either be Gunbroker or Gunsamerica.

Because the guns are discontinued, they are selling for anywhere between 1050-1350 dollars, The higher dollar amounts reflect NIB. I got mine for 1100 and change with all the transfer fees and shipping. After all that looking I think I came out all right.

Looking at the gun it does look like a 4", so I think it could easily be mistaken for one. Hell of a gun, I wish they would bring them back, along with the Bear kits.

dnovo
January 18, 2011, 08:59 AM
Magnum Research made them in their BFR series. Some appear to still be available. Dave

BBroadside
January 18, 2011, 10:32 PM
Any opinions on converting a S&W 625 (45 ACP) to 460 Rowland (which is probably not the same as the 460 beeenbag is asking about).

Good idea? Bad? Cases hard to find? Kicks too hard? I'm hoping you'll tell me they're accurate, powerful, readily available, and the who nine yards.

ArchAngelCD
January 19, 2011, 06:02 AM
Magnum Research is making the BFR in .460 Magnum but in a 7.5" or 10" barrel, not a 4" or 5" barrel.

dnovo
January 19, 2011, 08:44 AM
460 Rowland? I have a conversion in 460 on a 1911 platform, the 'imtended' setup for the Rowland. The kit came with a well-designed compensator and the result is a manageable shooter. I'd stay away from converting any revolver as you propose as the recoil would be just plain nasty sans comp. Dave

451 Detonics
January 19, 2011, 09:27 AM
Any opinions on converting a S&W 625 (45 ACP) to 460 Rowland (which is probably not the same as the 460 beeenbag is asking about).

Good idea? Bad? Cases hard to find? Kicks too hard? I'm hoping you'll tell me they're accurate, powerful, readily available, and the who nine yards.

Works very well and Clark will be happy to do the work, just send them your cylinder. Feels like a 44 mag in the same sized gun...in other words completely tolerable. The load I use the most is a 185 JHP at 1400fps. Great for 100 yard shooting.

Without modding your cylinder you can also use 45 Super brass, I load a 230 to 1100 fps and a 185 to 1250 in it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who all makes a revolver in .460?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!