Taurus Raging Judge

PDA

REAPER4206969
January 18, 2011, 12:35 AM
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/raging-judge-in-new-caliber.png

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus Raging Judge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nick5182
January 18, 2011, 12:37 AM
Wow...What'll they come up with next?

REAPER4206969
January 18, 2011, 12:39 AM
Here's S&W's "Governor" "Judge" clone:

http://gunnuts.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/20110117-105525.jpg

InkEd
January 18, 2011, 12:40 AM
Here you go....

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=5980&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=28gaRagingJudgeFacebookSocial011711

It's a 28ga revolver. So good luck with ammo.

PTK
January 18, 2011, 01:03 AM
Odd, I wonder how they get around the issues with the .50"< bore - anything that large is a DD unless exempted specifically. I had heard the Raging Judge would be a .454/410, as shown on their website under "raging judge". :scrutiny:

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=701&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=702&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

Just saying, I don't think CTD has their facts correct.

Nick5182
January 18, 2011, 01:15 AM
This one looks new. I know the Raging Judge Magnum is in .410/.45LC/.454Casull. Maybe this thing really is 28ga? Who knows what the Taurus designers are thinking anymore?

pikid89
January 18, 2011, 01:25 AM
the .410 judge was the answer to the question no one asked...now this???
the only thing harder to find than .410 shells is 28 gauge shells
does 28 gauge buckshot even exist?
a little googling shows that the biggest stuff around is #5 shot for pheasants

PTK
January 18, 2011, 01:29 AM
More to the point, it's over .50" bore, 28 ga is ~.550". No commercial handgun ammo will fit that, so it's either rifled for no reason (which means it's a DD unless it has the ONLY exception for a revolving shotgun over .50"), or smoothbore, with means it's an AOW. Either way, I'm not thinking it'll be getting into the country very easily if at all.

Nick5182
January 18, 2011, 01:32 AM
Like I said who knows what the engineers and designers at Taurus are thinking anymore? lol.

HelterSkelter
January 18, 2011, 01:41 AM
lol. what i wouldn't mind seeing it a big old 20 or 12 gauge revolver, only 2 or 3 chambers with a huge cylinder. so ridiculous i would have to own it.

mdThanatos
January 18, 2011, 02:44 AM
But would you shoot it is the question, I don't think I would in a 12 or 20. 28 maybe alright but even then its not for me.

griff383
January 18, 2011, 10:37 AM
I was under the assumption that the Raging Judge was going to be 454 casull. Seriously? 28 gauge?

JohnBT
January 18, 2011, 10:42 AM
67 ounces = 4 pounds, 3 ounces.

A big boy. And almost 14 inches long.

Somebody buy one, I have ammo.

jerkface11
January 18, 2011, 01:01 PM
The .454 one is already out saw one at a gunshop the other day. How can they do one in .28 gauge though?? Special ATF permission?

FIVETWOSEVEN
January 18, 2011, 01:22 PM
Be interesting if they make a 12 gauge version :D

esquare
January 18, 2011, 01:50 PM
Additional features include a single-action/double-action trigger and highly visible fiber optic front sight.

The highly visible front sight is meant to facilitate the removal of it from your forehead by the ER doc. I'm so glad they thought of that! :-)

Dain Bramage
January 18, 2011, 02:05 PM
It's probably satire. Everyone who's followed the price markups knows CTD has a sense of humor.

PTK
January 18, 2011, 02:11 PM
I thought it might be a joke as well until I saw that the article has been updated with this picture:

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/28gaTaurusRagingJudge2.jpg

Sure as heck looks real to me.

Dain Bramage
January 18, 2011, 02:16 PM
I saw the picture and still thought it was a joke. Perhaps a one-up promo for Taurus?

tinygnat219
January 18, 2011, 02:23 PM
It'd have to be NFA, or a DD at best to be able to be sold.

Buck Snort
January 18, 2011, 03:48 PM
"RAGING JUDGE"?!! Who's in charge of their marketing?!

ATAShooter
January 18, 2011, 03:57 PM
Wow...What'll they come up with next?

The 12 ga. Preposterous Judge. Then will come the 10ga Hemorrhaging Judge...

Zanad
January 18, 2011, 05:07 PM
lets say its NOT an NFA item, would you buy one?

GCBurner
January 18, 2011, 05:19 PM
I'm holding out for the 4 gauge / 1" Gatling Gun version. Though I suppose, with that length of cylinder and the 28 ga. .550" bore diameter, they might be able to load up a .550 Express. http://www.weaponsmith.com/550-exp.html

kudu
January 18, 2011, 05:28 PM
I'm trying to see how it is legal and not a short barreled shotgun. There is no cartridge that can be shot through it like the .45 Colt. No one make 28 gauge buck shot or slugs. Any cartridge over .50 is considered a destructive device, not counting ancient african hunting rounds and shotshell rounds.

GCBurner
January 18, 2011, 05:39 PM
I'm trying to see how it is legal and not a short barreled shotgun. There is no cartridge that can be shot through it like the .45 Colt. No one make 28 gauge buck shot or slugs. Any cartridge over .50 is considered a destructive device, not counting ancient african hunting rounds and shotshell rounds.
At .55 calibre for a 28 gauge, maybe a .550 Express? :D
Make a cool "Howdah Pistol" for tiger hunting from the back of your elephant.

pikid89
January 18, 2011, 05:40 PM
^lol

mgkdrgn
January 18, 2011, 05:50 PM
I thought the "Raging Judge" was the "Raging Bull" 454 Casull gun retooled to handle 410 as well as 454 and 45 Colt.

deacon8
January 18, 2011, 06:02 PM
How many shells does that thing hold?

That thing is absolutely nuts haha! However, it would be serious snake medicine. With one of those, I could crawl right into a rattlesnake den. Firing in double action, massecuring snakes. Then I could empty the cylinder and reload that massive thing with my 28 gauge speedloader. I'd be like the Rambo of snake cullers. Hell, I could get two of them. One in each hand! haha!

Mp7
January 18, 2011, 06:22 PM
From what movie was it? I do remember something .....

except for the giggles .....
What was it for again?

i wouldnt feel unarmed with one ( as long as ammo ammo is there ..)
but it is a BBQ talkpiece isnīt it?

mgregg85
January 18, 2011, 06:34 PM
Couldn't they put in some very shallow, very slow twist rifling that would be essentially insignificant yet still satisfy the requirements of the law?

GEM
January 18, 2011, 06:52 PM
I thought the law issue was the diameter?

Quaamik
January 18, 2011, 06:57 PM
Would I buy one.......

Depends: Do they make slugs in 28 gauge?

mdThanatos
January 18, 2011, 07:02 PM
I am going to guess 5-6 shots for that thing.

here is a pic of it with a view of the cylinder:

PIC (http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/28gaTaurusRagingJudge2.jpg)

Sam1911
January 18, 2011, 07:02 PM
Couldn't they put in some very shallow, very slow twist rifling that would be essentially insignificant yet still satisfy the requirements of the law?

That certainly would cover that portion of the law that partially defines an NFA Any Other Weapon as, "...a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell..."

It doesn't answer the question of an NFA large bore Destructive Device, which is "... any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes..."

If it fires a shotshell and is a revolver, it is not an AOW if the bore is rifled.

It is clearly larger than one-half inch diameter so it certainly could be a DD. However, most shotguns are exempted as being particularly suitable for sporting purposes.

BUT, this is not a shotgun at all as defined by the NFA, as it states:

"The term ''shotgun'' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of projectiles (ball shot) or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell."

So...this is indeed a mystery.

Of course, various rifle cartridges have long been exempted from the DD classification -- such as the .577 and .600 caliber big game cartridges, and JD Jones' 14.5 JDJ round. So...

My guess is that someone from Taurus has had a series of in-depth conversations with the ATF Tech Branch and has gotten an o.k. on this.

Boy it would be grand if someone at the show had a moment to ask the Taurus folks how the NFA question was settled! ;)

JohnBT
January 18, 2011, 08:25 PM
http://mjm.luckygunner.com/2011/01/18/taurus-raging-judge

5 shots.

6.5" barrel, I wonder if it's rifled.

HelterSkelter
January 18, 2011, 08:46 PM
who says you would have to shoot it? lol

also the raging judge is a .454 cassull/ 410 gauge .

RhinoDefense
January 18, 2011, 11:24 PM
The concept of these weapons are so stupid. I can't believe it.

rust collector
January 18, 2011, 11:49 PM
Dang, it would be fun to order a caramel machiato venti with that slung on yer hip.

jerkface11
January 18, 2011, 11:51 PM
Well I want it.

Tomcat47
January 19, 2011, 12:24 AM
I like it! But I like a 28 Guage.....and it has a nice home defense feel to it :evil:

Ammo not the easiest to be found! or cheap! compared to other shotgun varieties.

Brian Williams
January 19, 2011, 01:01 AM
Another answer for a non-existent question. I am still waiting for the 45 ACP or Colt only 445 to be built by Taurus again.

Girodin
January 19, 2011, 02:04 AM
It's a 28ga revolver. So good luck with ammo.

If this things sell anything like the judge has, ammo will possibly become much more common. Look at all advent of judge specific loads.

William Lee
January 19, 2011, 02:15 AM
I would buy two and take them right to the trap range. That would be fun as heck. Aside from that, I see no real use.

ph21
January 19, 2011, 02:21 AM
Sounds like Winchester will be making some defensive rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDgCdQ-01Dc&feature=sub

How is this not a sawed-off shotgun?

Jubjub
January 19, 2011, 07:19 AM
So they skipped right over 32 gauge?

FIVETWOSEVEN
January 19, 2011, 08:47 AM
Never heard of 32 gauge, must be why they skipped it. :D

kbbailey
January 19, 2011, 09:06 AM
The 12 ga. Preposterous Judge. Then will come the 10ga Hemorrhaging Judge...

haha

Sam1911
January 19, 2011, 10:16 AM
How is this not a sawed-off shotgun?

By the definitions in the NFA, a Shotgun MUST be a weapon fired from the shoulder.

I'll just quote myself from the thread on this in the SHOT Show forum:

That certainly would cover that portion of the law that partially defines an NFA Any Other Weapon as, "...a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell..."

It doesn't answer the question of an NFA large bore Destructive Device, which is "... any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes..."

If it fires a shotshell and is a revolver, it is not an AOW if the bore is rifled.

It is clearly larger than one-half inch diameter so it certainly could be a DD. However, most shotguns are exempted as being particularly suitable for sporting purposes.

BUT, this is not a shotgun at all as defined by the NFA, as it states:

"The term ''shotgun'' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of projectiles (ball shot) or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell."

So...this is indeed a mystery.

Of course, various rifle cartridges have long been exempted from the DD classification -- such as the .577 and .600 caliber big game cartridges, and JD Jones' 14.5 JDJ round. So...

My guess is that someone from Taurus has had a series of in-depth conversations with the ATF Tech Branch and has gotten an o.k. on this.

Boy it would be grand if someone at the show had a moment to ask the Taurus folks how the NFA question was settled! ;)

CraigC
January 19, 2011, 02:00 PM
Yes, very nice, almost as heavy as my 28ga double but about 1% as useful.....and I think that's being generous.

Carl N. Brown
January 19, 2011, 06:11 PM
32 gauge ammo is so rare (and so similar to 410 in appearance) some folks who inherit an old foreign "410" shotgun think it looks nice, but complain it sometimes take two or three tries to fire.

32ga being so close to .410 it would not be a good step up. I have seen special order 28ga at the local shop.

NMGonzo
January 19, 2011, 06:26 PM
Well ... that will answer the "bear and pheasant" gun question.

Serious want.

Diggers
January 19, 2011, 08:00 PM
HAH! Yeah 1% is generous. It's crazy how popular these guns have become. How many different models are there now?? What does that say about people who are buying guns out there?

They even have a rifle version on the way.

I guess if its all about the bottom line, they hit gold.

Jason_W
January 19, 2011, 08:19 PM
Screw practicality, I want one:D

If legal, I could have a lot of fun experimenting with slug and buckshot loads for it.

Of course, then I'll have to buy the neat, but fugly looking circuit Judge version, and a swaging press to make 28 ga slugs.

gbran
January 19, 2011, 09:21 PM
If you think 410's are pricey, try finding and buying 28ga's. Seems like overkill for snakes and too limited for self defense. I would however, be interested in S&W's new 45acp/45colt/410 for a trail guns for snakes/pests.

scottr
January 20, 2011, 01:49 AM
It doesn't answer the question of an NFA large bore Destructive Device, which is "... except ... or shotgun shell ..."

Here you go. 'Or' is a great word.

IANAL, nor do I play one on TV.

Sam1911
January 20, 2011, 07:38 AM
So this revolver is a shotgun shell?

Interesting.

VA27
January 20, 2011, 01:00 PM
Brass cases, BIG slugs and black powder! Too bad it's so modern looking, maybe some grip mods could get it looking better.

Jason_W
January 20, 2011, 06:24 PM
Too bad it's so modern looking, maybe some grip mods could get it looking better.

With the recoil it's going to produce, I'm thinking the modern grips are a good thing.

Girodin
January 20, 2011, 06:54 PM
If they are smooth bore they might well simply be "other weapons" (not AOWs)

From the factory pistol-grip only shotguns are not "shotguns". Shotguns are made or remade, designed or re-designed to be fired from the shoulder. It might be that these aren't "shotguns" if it has a smooth bore.

There was a big to do a while back when the ATF made some statements on PGO shotguns like the mossberg cruisers. People in the general public freaked out that they were going to be considered destructive devises or somehow otherwise illegal

Those guns are a Title 1 "Other" firearm (note, not AOW) that fires shotgun shells. Nothing more. They are legal to own.

Since they are not shotguns, there is arguably no law requiring them have a barrel length of 18" or more. Those PGO shotguns have never been shotguns according to the federal definition of "shotgun" in the GCA of '68. They've always been Title 1 "other firearms."

The issue I see with this gun being a smooth bore and classified as an other weapon is that it might still need to have a minimum 26" length. It is interesting to think about. I'd need to do a lot more research to really have even an informed guess. Taraus probably has paid someone to do that research already.

pikid89
January 20, 2011, 07:04 PM
I got an email from gunsamerica today that talked about the Raging Judge
they straight up said,
There is currently no such thing as 28 gauge buckshot, but Federal and at least one other manufacturer have it in the design and testing stages and it should be available this year.

That seems like a poor business practice...to develop a weapon that's primary load does not actually exist.

and for those that dream of carrying a gun such as this...keep in mind that this gun is over a foot long and weighs 4.2 lbs.....That is more than a 6" S&W X-Frame .500 magnum

DM~
January 20, 2011, 07:22 PM
Even my local walmart keeps a few boxes of 28ga. in stock... Some guys really like that guage, and i think it's gaining popularity right now.

DM

Jason_W
January 20, 2011, 07:28 PM
I'm guessing Taurus wouldn't have produced this without first researching thoroughly to make sure it can be legally possessed by regular people.

I want one along with the circuit Judge in 28. Laugh all you want. I'll have fun with it.

birddog2
January 20, 2011, 08:11 PM
That's just retarded, My 6 lb 28 double will bust my chops every once in a while if I all twisted up shooting at doves with 1 oz loads

Girodin
January 20, 2011, 09:49 PM
I'm guessing Taurus wouldn't have produced this without first researching thoroughly to make sure it can be legally possessed by regular people.

While I agree they have likely looked into it. Have they announced it will be produced? If not this could just be a gun version of the cool concept cars that get displayed at the auto shows.

Girodin
January 20, 2011, 09:54 PM
double post

Lefty Gunner
January 20, 2011, 11:19 PM
I think they should skip right to a 12 Ga. Raging Bull Elephant and get the gauge race overwith. Then the follow up could be the Giant Raging Bull Elephant in (Wait for it...) 3" 12 Ga.

Then they could bring out the Ginormus Rabid Raging Bull Elephant.... 12" barrel and 8 lbs. weight. 12 Ga 3-1/2" magnum loads. Now that would be a self defense handgun.....

SaMx
January 20, 2011, 11:39 PM
maybe after that the "Raging Blue Whale" in 10 guage available in a standard model with a 14" barrel and a weight of 10 lbs, or in a "pocket protector" model, with a 2.5" barrel and a titanium frame that weighs 5 lbs.

The Real Wyatt
January 21, 2011, 12:01 AM
As soon as I see one for sale, it's mine!

What a unique piece to add to one's collection.

Sam1911
January 21, 2011, 12:12 AM
Threads merged.

oldfool
January 21, 2011, 09:30 AM
even being a 28 ga fanboy, methinks I can pass on this solution searching for a non-problem to fix

besides, I long ago resolved to wait on the 8 gauge version, coming to your neighborhood soon, I do not doubt, probably in a plastic frame snubbie to resolve that CCW weight issue
after all, if you want silly for silly's sake, why go off half-cocked

jerkface11
January 21, 2011, 10:59 PM
I've never understood why people who hate the judge post in the judge threads. Don't see me badmouthing Garands and Model 700's everytime they come up.

ABTOMAT
January 21, 2011, 11:06 PM
maybe after that the "Raging Blue Whale" in 10 guage

Man the harpoons!

joeq
January 21, 2011, 11:34 PM
I saw one of the Gun blast video's that said the ATF had put a halt to the Taurus raging Judge project. At least for now. He also said Rossi had some sort of mares leg 410 that they had stopped also. I'm not familiar at all with the Rossi.

PTK
January 22, 2011, 02:43 AM
I've never understood why people who hate the judge post in the judge threads. Don't see me badmouthing Garands and Model 700's everytime they come up.
Amen!

2GunsWest
January 22, 2011, 11:14 AM
I personally have no use for something like this, but I find the idea pretty cool.

I do not get all the hate, though? Badmouth all you like, Taurus is laughing all the way to the bank. People do buy these and every person I have met or know that owns a judge loves theirs. I was tempted mighty fiercely myself after messing around with my buddies 3" judge.

Someone mentioned bad business practice to release a firearm with no current manufacturer loading for it?

Is it bad practice or jump starting their own agenda? At least 2 of the big names will be loading specialty buckshot, and possibly slug rounds for the 28 gauge monster. I personally think that's good practice and stimulation of the guns and ammo industry.

Any manufacturer that makes new and interesting things to keep offering us MORE choice in the gun realm should be thanked, not shunned.

And lo and behold, S&W is now copying Taurus designs? I think that says the Judge was a good idea.

jerkface11
January 22, 2011, 11:33 AM
Are we 100% sure this thing is real though?

2GunsWest
January 22, 2011, 11:36 AM
http://www.taurususa.com/2011newcatalog/

Girodin
January 22, 2011, 08:02 PM
I think that says the Judge was a good idea.

In terms of money making, what these companies exist to do, there is no question the judge was a good idea. It was a great idea in that respect.

pikid89
January 25, 2011, 12:41 PM
posted on thefirearmblog.com the other day
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/01/25/big-gun-short-lived-taurus-28-gauge-revolver/

apparently some ATF agents went to taurus and told them the raging judge was an illegal firearm and taurus removed it from their booth?

CoRoMo
January 25, 2011, 12:46 PM
Another answer for a non-existent question.
Even though I agree, I've concluded that internet gun forums, and this one in particular, must simply be out of touch with the direction that the market is taking this industry. These things are obviously all the rage (pun), and there is such a mountain of money being made off of them right now, that other manufacturers are losing breath as they race to get their versions to the display counters. I ground my teeth when I was standing at a gun counter, and a group of college kids walked up and all wanted to look at the Taurus Judge. Now, I just stare at a fixed point on the wall, and get through it as best I can.

Sam1911
January 25, 2011, 01:24 PM
I've concluded that internet gun forums, and this one in particular, must simply be out of touch with the direction that the market is taking this industry.

I don't know that "out of touch" is the right phrase. I mean, it isn't like we're isolated from the trend and can't see it, can't process it, can't evaluate it.

I think we just have a more specific focus here than the world of new gun buyers at large -- and certainly have a membership that is very highly skewed toward knowledgeable and discerning gun users for whom the blush of dazzled gun-fever has been tempered by their experiences (the model of one who spends more on ammo than on guns would most likely apply), and who tend to apply critical thinking and reasoning skills ueber alles, when establishing the merits of a new gun on the market.

Does not wanting to install a huge spoiler wing on my Ford Focus make me "out of touch" with trends in cars? Not really. It makes me knowledgeable about how the car works, what it is FOR, and what value I'd derive from spending money on that addition.

451 Detonics
January 25, 2011, 01:26 PM
It has been determined an illegal firearm for now at least, I am sure Taurus will try for an exemption but I doubt it will be granted. Right now the pistol is an NFA Destructive Device thanks to it's .550 bore. Federal law says any thing over 50 caliber is a DD. If they made it in a smooth bore it would be an AOW.

Trying to get this classified as a sporting gun will be tough...lol.

Guillermo
January 25, 2011, 01:28 PM
Like I said who knows what the engineers and designers at Taurus are thinking anymore?

maybe they are thinking that they should expand on a successful product.

Personally I think that whole concept is silly. It is not a good 45 and it is not a good shotgun...but hey, it is their money.

blackspyder
January 25, 2011, 09:18 PM
Let me ask this, before Taurus introduced the first Judge, where did they have to go?

They have a 1911, M9(PT92 and the 800 series is based on the grip too IIRC), full size poly, compact poly, sub compact poly, mouse guns, snubby revolvers, medium revolvers, large revolvers. Sounds like a full line up to me, matter of fact sounds fuller then Glock, Sig, and S&W put together.

So they came up with something that in reality is about as useful as the 500S&W, 50AE, and so on but still packs that "cool" factor. Besides if it gets college kids shooting then that's more gun owners who are here to help us.

garyhan
January 27, 2011, 06:53 AM
Apparently, reports of the demise of the Raging Judge and the Ranch Hand have been greatly exaggerated. According to NRA.org and Gunsamerica.com, both are good to go.
Beware internet rumors.

gary

natman
January 27, 2011, 08:31 AM
Apparently, reports of the demise of the Raging Judge and the Ranch Hand have been greatly exaggerated. According to NRA.org and Gunsamerica.com, both are good to go.
Beware internet rumors.

gary
Could you favor us with some links?

garyhan
January 27, 2011, 09:03 AM
www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/quashing-raging-judge-rumors/

W L Johnson
January 27, 2011, 11:12 AM
The link does state that the Raging Judge will be out with "minor modifications".
Just what are those "minor modifications"?

PapaG
January 27, 2011, 12:19 PM
Website now shows that the thing is going to be classified as nfa, either a destructive device or short barreled shotgun and Taurus has withdrawn production.

Sam1911
January 27, 2011, 12:23 PM
Website now shows that the thing is going to be classified as nfa,

WHAT website? The link two posts back from the NRA says the exact opposite.

natman
January 27, 2011, 12:34 PM
www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/quashing-raging-judge-rumors/
Thanks, that's the most authoritative report on the subject I've read so far. I might quibble a bit and point out that americanrifleman.org is neither of the first cited links.

According to NRA.org and Gunsamerica.com

PapaG
January 27, 2011, 01:01 PM
Today on Cheaper than Dirt.com, at the bottom of the announcement of the "Raging Judge" with pix, is a notice that the ATF has, in fact, determined after examining the gun at the Shot Show, that it falls under the NFA...and that Taurus has withdrawn plans to put it in full production.

Click, Lycos.com, type in Raging Judge, pick Cheaper than Dirt's site, read. If they're wrong, don't blame me...it is right there.

We had a guy in the shop yesterday who wanted to order one and we couldn't find a supplier...looked it up there and that is what we found.

Sam1911
January 27, 2011, 01:37 PM
Interesting. I'm sure we'll have something official from someone sooner or later, but I agree with the NRA link's assessment that it would be exceptionally odd (as in, "wouldn't happen") for the Taurus to bring a brand new gun into the country and to the SHOT show, that had not been thoroughly reviewed by the BATFE before even being developed as a project, let alone imported and announced to the public.

ljnowell
January 27, 2011, 01:44 PM

Mainly because they feel the need to tell everyone that wants one how stupid they are and how much smarter they are for not liking it. Then they want to gripe about how it doesnt have any "purpose," though I dont remember that ever mattering. The purpose is to put a smile on the face of the shooter.

PapaG
January 27, 2011, 01:46 PM
On a possibly related note, considering the circuit judge, my curiosity has me wondering how they will be perceived by DNR officials if one would take one of these things hunting. Under Illinois game laws, you cannot hunt birds with a rifle, you cannot use a firearm (shotgun) unless it is plugged to hold no more than three rounds, (not easily removed), and there are also limitations on allowable shot sizes for different game (i.e. no "slugs" on your person while hunting small game/birds, no shot when hunting deer, etc). Not related to this thread, I know, but interesting nonetheless.

jerkface11
January 27, 2011, 11:58 PM
but I agree with the NRA link's assessment that it would be exceptionally odd (as in, "wouldn't happen") for the Taurus to bring a brand new gun into the country and to the SHOT show, that had not been thoroughly reviewed by the BATFE before even being developed as a project, let alone imported and announced to the public.

Exactly they would ask the ATF before they even started working on the first prototype. That or they are just clueless. They should have a rep on here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus Raging Judge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!