Conversion Kits (.40 to 9mm)

PDA

mbruce
January 18, 2011, 04:52 PM
Does the accuracy of a gun capable of converting...let's say from a .40 to a 9mm.... carry over from one caliber to the converted caliber? Goofy question maybe...but i ask because I've read posts on here where some members don't get too pumped over guns that can shoot multiple calibers with conversion kits.

I was looking at getting a Glock 35 or 22 and buying the aftermarket 9mm conversion barrel -- just wondering if there are negatives to think about? I'm by no means looking for bullseye -- i get pumped just to hit the target.

If you enjoyed reading about "Conversion Kits (.40 to 9mm)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RH45
January 18, 2011, 07:29 PM
Every bbl., just as every gun is different, so, your results may vary, but, I had a KKM, 9mm, conversion bbl. for my Glock 35, and with the right loads, it shot tighter groups than the .40.

muncie21
January 23, 2011, 07:33 AM
The reliability of the conversion barrels can be hit or miss. I ran a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion in my G35 for steel matches. In very un-Glock like fashion it was sensitive to some ammo and would jam. When it worked, I had liked the flexibility of the 2 calibers and being able to shoot lead bullets.

bds
January 23, 2011, 12:41 PM
I have Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrels for G22/G27 (I have used G22s for match shooting with factory barrels). Based on my experience and testing other shooters' LW conversion barrels, I believe the factory barrels hold a very "slight" accuracy advantage for Winchester 115 gr FMJ and Rainier/Berry's 125 gr RN plated bullets used in comparison testing.

The comparison testing were done at 7, 10 and 15 yard distances and IIRC, LW barrels widened the shot groups by around 1/4" - 1/2".

However, keep in mind that this comparison may be more of Glock's polygonal rifling vs traditional land/groove rifling. If tighter polygonal rifling produced higher chamber pressures (yes they do), then powder burn may be more efficient producing more consistent shot groups over the land/groove rifling that tends to "leak" hot gas more around the bullet.

To compare, same loads were shot in various fullsize pistols with land/groove rifled barrels and shot groups were comparable, if not better than factory barrels.

Quote:
Does the accuracy carry over to the converted caliber?
I believe yes and I would not hesitate to run them in a match as I can place all of my double taps in 1/2 sheet copy paper targets placed at 7-15 yards.

If you enjoyed reading about "Conversion Kits (.40 to 9mm)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!