New BP Shooter-Need some advice

PDA

thunder173
January 18, 2011, 08:34 PM
Okay guys,..I am not a blackpowder guy and I need some advice here.

I have an NEF Huntsman BP barrel in 50 cal. I have used it a few times with sabots and it does okay,..but I'd like to use maxi balls instead of sabots. And I prefer pellets over loose.

What are my options and what are your thoughts? Let em rip.

If you enjoyed reading about "New BP Shooter-Need some advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ontarget
January 18, 2011, 10:54 PM
I have the same gun, and let me advise you NOT to use the factory ram rod while target shooting. I broke mine and cannot find a replacement. Use a range rod at the range and save the extendo for reloading in the field. as far as loads go, I had very good luck with power belt bullets and 2 t-7 pellets. Sorry, but I don't remember the bullet grain. it was the green ballistic tip though.

thunder173
January 19, 2011, 02:41 PM
Thanx Ontarget,..I caught that incident you had with the reamrod in another thread,...can see how that can happen. Pretty light rod.

I have used the gun on a couple hunts with that same loading 2- 50 grain T-7's with 300 grain 45 caliber bullets in a 50 sabot,....shoots good,...but I am looking for some loads for straight up lead conicals or 50 caliber ball as versus being limited to the sabots off the shelf.

I prefer using the t-7 or Pyrodex pellets,..but am not against going with loose powder if need be.

BHP FAN
January 20, 2011, 08:08 PM
70 GR. Triple Seven works pretty well in my brother's Huntsman. He's pretty annoying with the thing, he calls it his ''.45-70'', and seems to have forgotton how to miss.

thunder173
January 20, 2011, 08:50 PM
Thanx BHP Fan,..what bullet is he using? I'd like to try a minnie ball or round ball if I can find them in 50 cal,...any experience there?

BHP FAN
January 21, 2011, 07:21 PM
His is deadly accurate with a patched .440 round ball. He's tried some others minie balls ,Maxi Balls and I don't know what all else, but he keeps comeing back to the patched RB. If yours is a fifty, I'd try a patched .490 and 70gr. 2f [loose, no air pockets to cause velocity differences or dangerous pressures] Triple Seven. A ''.50-70''!

If you enjoyed reading about "New BP Shooter-Need some advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!