Contemplating ditching a Glock 17 for a Ruger 22/45....

PDA

dehughes
January 19, 2011, 09:02 PM
The reasons are that:

1) I have an XD-45 Service that has Trijicon night sights as well as a trigger job done by Springer Precision. That gun is slick now.....and I really do like .45 ACP rounds.

2) I have a Marlin 60 with Tech Sights that is a laser beam. I like the 22LR round.

3) The Glock 17 is a great gun and I'm accurate with it, and it feels *okay*, but...

4) I've been using the Glock 17 as my "practice gun" being as it's cheaper to shoot than the XD. However...

5) I'm thinking I may as well just keep ONE "big" pistol (can't afford to have multiples) and one "small" pistol. A 22LR round costs less than a 9mm round, and that'd be a commonality with my Marlin 60, and the grip angle of the Ruger would be the same as my XD....so...hence my thought in trading the Glock 17 for a Ruger 22/45.

What are your thoughts/recommendations?

As well, I'd have over 500 rounds of 9mm ammo left should I ditch the Glock. What's the best place to sell/trade it for a round I can use?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Contemplating ditching a Glock 17 for a Ruger 22/45...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cemo
January 19, 2011, 09:07 PM
500 rounds of 9mm, maybe you ought to get a .22 conversion kit for your 17. You'll still have it around to shoot the 9mm stuff. The Ruger MKs are nice pistols, I have two.

dehughes
January 19, 2011, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I thought of that....but the conversion kit is $300, and it'd still be a Glock 17....may as well just buy a Ruger 22 pistol. That's why I was thinking of just trading for a Ruger....but yes, I don't know what to do with the left over ammo. None of my friends shoot 9mm....

Armedleprechaun
January 19, 2011, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't trade the Glock. If you'd like to shoot 22lr there is a conversion kit by Advantage Arms. I will admit that it's a bit pricey. However it will allow you to practice more cost effectively in the long run, while also having the same battery of arms.

Cemo
January 19, 2011, 09:25 PM
Just hang onto your ammo, keep it dry and it will last a long time. Never know, you may later decide to get a XD 9 as a side kick to you 45. Anyway, good luck and good shooting.

dehughes
January 20, 2011, 03:41 AM
Kinda tempted to change the subject heading to read "Browning Buck Mark" instead of "Ruger 22/45"....but that's a different thread... :)

CZ57
January 21, 2011, 01:33 AM
Sell the Glock outright and recoup more of your $. You should have some left over after you buy a Ruger or a Buckmark.;)

potmetal
January 21, 2011, 07:38 AM
Put it up for sale here in the classifieds. Put in the ad that you'd be interested in trading for a Ruger. Someone may have a Ruger right now and be thinking, "Gee, I wish I had a Glock---".

Utahusker
January 21, 2011, 10:30 AM
I traded an XD45 with Tru-Glow sights and a trigger job for a MKIII Hunter and couldn't be happier. I don't have the extra cash to buy guns outright.

I did have an HK USPc 45 at the time so I wasn't losing a large caliber hd gun.

I've since traded the HK for a G35, but that's another story.:D

PO2Hammer
January 21, 2011, 05:32 PM
I'm reducing my centerfire autos as well, and increasing my rimfires.
I say go for it, as long as you're happy with your XD.
If you go with a Ruger, get a used 22/45 Mark II, not a Mark III.
There are still some deals to be had on the Mark II's, but the prices are headed up.

dehughes
January 26, 2011, 01:28 PM
Nice. Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with a Buck Mark Standard, as it seemed the best price/performance of the Buck Mark series.

I do miss the Glock, in a way. it was my first handgun and was very easy to shoot, though I prefer the construction and ergonomics of my XD-45. Looking forward to a rimfire pistol, though. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Contemplating ditching a Glock 17 for a Ruger 22/45...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!