Pls help me I.D. grips and trigger on Python

PDA

bushmaster1313
January 20, 2011, 09:16 AM
Are these the "Service" grips? From the 1960's
Is the little hole in the grip correct?
What is the grey appliance with the two holes on the trigger?
Thank you
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/bushmaster1313/trigger.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Pls help me I.D. grips and trigger on Python" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Z71
January 20, 2011, 09:40 AM
I can't tell you if those are proper Python grips or not. Look like grips from an Official Police revolver..and are genuine Colt grips.

The trigger shoe is an aftermarket deal.

dfariswheel
January 20, 2011, 08:12 PM
The grips are a set of Colt "Service" type grips.
They're a least an older set due to the well worn appearance.
They're "probably" for a Python since they have Gold medallions, and Gold was used only on the Python at least up to the later 1960's when you started seeing them on other models.
By the later 1970's, everything had Gold.
Most Service grips were used on the Official Police and original Trooper, and these had Silver medallions until very late in production.

The Service grips with Gold were used on the 2 1/2" Python, the 4" and 6" used Colt Target type.

The hole is correct, but the grip screw bushing is missing.
Colt used a blued steel bushing on the right side grip and no bushing at all on the left.

The trigger shoe was strictly aftermarket, and is seldom seen these days due to safety issues with holstering the gun with the trigger so wide it can catch on the holster and possible fire.

Here's a set of Colt Service grips with the steel bushing intact.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/dfariswheel/Service.jpg

navajo
January 20, 2011, 08:16 PM
Device on the trigger , I think, is called an "Ace" trigger shoe. Haven'i seen one in many years.

winchester1886
January 21, 2011, 01:25 AM
I had a Python I bought new in 1971 and thats not the grips that mine had.My Python had what Colt called Target grips on it.

Lucky Derby
January 21, 2011, 03:41 AM
Those appear to be the correct grips for a 2.5" Python.

The device is called a trigger shoe is is aftermarket.

Standing Wolf
January 21, 2011, 02:56 PM
I had a Python I bought new in 1971 and thats not the grips that mine had.My Python had what Colt called Target grips on it.

Yep. Colt changed the stocks' designs several times, as well as the barrel threads and front sights.

My solution is to remove Colt grips and put them in plastic bags with notes identifying the guns they came from, and put on Nill or Herrett's stocks. I've never been able to hang onto Colt stocks very well, and in any event, they're exorbitantly expensive to replace and look plain as old spoons to my eye.

GURU1911
January 22, 2011, 10:45 AM
Highly advise installing a set of rubber "hogue monogrips" on your "big snake"--have had them on mine for almost 20 years & have had no regrets for having done so.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pls help me I.D. grips and trigger on Python" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!