Old .32 snubby date?

PDA

Jonah71
January 21, 2011, 01:54 PM
I went by the local shop again today and this little S&W 6 shot snubby was still there, priced at $550. I have a '74 5 shot Cheifs Special and I wouldn't mind having this .32, but the price seems a bit much even though is is in very good condition. Can't find any info or date anywhere. Ser. # 7809XX. Can someone tell me the date and what would be a fair price for it? I think it was mfgd in the 40's but that's just a guess.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old .32 snubby date?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oyeboten
January 21, 2011, 03:11 PM
Is there a letter prefix, even if there is a space between it and the Serial Number, as seen on the Butt?

Does it have the Ejecter-latch or Lug, under the Barrel?

Jonah71
January 21, 2011, 05:00 PM
Yes there is a lug under the barrel but there is no letter prefix. I had to call and ask. Sure would be easier if I knew enough to take pics with my cell and put them on this site. I once lost out on an old Colt Police Positive because I'm not up on all this tech stuff. Very small checkered grips. I've got to pick up another gun there Tuesday and I expect that at $550 the .32 will still be there. Thanks.

Radagast
January 22, 2011, 01:10 AM
You are looking at a Model 30-1, the .32 Hand Ejector.
The gun falls in the serial range for the period 1961 to 1970, being 712954 to 826977.
If it has a flat cylinder release, then 1966 or earlier.
If it has a concave cylinder release, then 1966 or later.
If the grips are original and there is an uncheckered diamond around the grip screws then 1968 or earlier.
If the grips are original and the checkering goes right up to the grips screws then 1968 or later.

In 2006 the Standard Catalog of S&W gave a value of $375 for as new in the box. $550 seems too high to me.

Jonah71
January 23, 2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks. I think I'll pass on this one. From the info you've given me it looks like 1966 or later.

Radagast
January 23, 2011, 11:06 AM
If you like it, ask them to look up the current blue book price, if its closer to reality you could offer to pay that. They may not have any real idea as to its value. With 800,000 plus .32 Hand Ejectors and Regulation Police manufactured over roughly 80 years they are not that rare.

Jon Coppenbarger
January 23, 2011, 12:37 PM
I was looking at what looked like new in the box one that was a no dash at the antique firearms collector show last weekend in las vegas and the asking price was $475.
I decided to pass on it but I never asked if he would of taken less for it but most folks do.
Nice pistols and if new in the box they are and will bring a primium but 550 for one not in that condition I would pass myself.

If at a pawn shop they must not be using the blue book but sounds like they are looking at the internet asking price on some sites.

Jonah71
February 6, 2011, 09:58 AM
He's came down on the price to $450. I might have gone for that, but I just can't afford it after restocking ammo. Oh well, even at that price it doesn't look like I missed out on much. I can't buy every one I like.

Radagast
February 6, 2011, 08:23 PM
It will probably still be there when you are cashed up, so you have time to think about it.

Jonah71
March 17, 2011, 10:25 AM
It's still right there on the shelf after all this time. I was told yesterday he'd let it go for $350. I think I can live with that. Still has the $550 tag on it so I'm sure it will still be there this afternoon. I'm equally sure he will try to make up the difference on a future sale. At times this reminds me of playing chess. I also found out he wants the CZ 75B back. He must have it sold at a good price. Too bad. It's the most accurate autoload I shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old .32 snubby date?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!