Markings

PDA

Babu
January 21, 2011, 04:12 PM
I have a Belgium Muzzle loader. Please tell me where I can find ID markings on the gun. The only marking I find is the word "BELGIUM" on the barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Markings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smokey Joe
January 21, 2011, 04:29 PM
Babu--From yr description, it's impossible to say where markings might or should be. You have disassembled the firearm, checked for markings in the bbl channel of the stock, or the underside of the bbl? If not, I'd look there first. There isn't a "standard location" for maker's name, etc.

If it's considerably old, well, in "the old days" there was no requirement for a serial number, proof mark, maker's name, or anything else. For a recently-made firearm it's different of course, but for an oldie, especially an inexpensive oldie, having no marks wouldn't come as much of a surprise.

If you want further help, or suggestions, pictures of the firearm would be almost mandatory.

There might be an antique appraiser near you who could offer you an opinion, also.

Oh, and welcome to THR!

Loyalist Dave
January 22, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hmmm..., I wonder if it is a modern made Belgian BP gun, or a repro meant to resemble a Belgian made gun..., because on the very few that I have seen if it was made in the era when black powder and smokeless were both used for cartridges it would be marked in a visible spot with B Plomb, meaning black powder, and if made then or earlier, and it had a country of origin stamp, it would say Belgique. Odd that it's marked in the English with "Belgium". Any photos??

LD

pohill
January 22, 2011, 01:40 PM
Is it a rifle/musket or a handgun? If it's a rifle take the barrel off and look underneath. Take the lockwork off and look at the backside. A pic or two might help here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Markings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!