Just wondering why

PDA

WALKERs210
January 22, 2011, 12:34 AM
On my Colts the Wedge gone in from the left side with retainer screw there also. Was looking at my 1847 Walker and looked at the wedge and screw is put in on the right side. Was this done for a purpose or just to be different

If you enjoyed reading about "Just wondering why" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hellgate
January 22, 2011, 01:23 AM
I don't know why. Maybe the wedge direction had to do with the direction they were installed on rifles at the time. I'm thinking of the keys used to mount barrels on to the percussion rifles in the 1840s. Maybe the Walker is like a rifle of it's day. Hopefully someone know the real answer.

Fingers McGee
January 22, 2011, 09:01 PM
Haven and Belden's book "A History of the Colt Revolver" does not address the change in wedge arrangement. Col Col was always tinkering/improving his pistols. Maybe this was just one of the many changes made over the course of development. Best answer I can give is - That's just the way it is.

WALKERs210
January 22, 2011, 11:05 PM
Maybe its like the famous picture of Bill the Kid that is actually printed in reverse. Maybe Col. Colt got his drawing backwards or something.

TheBigAR2003
January 22, 2011, 11:13 PM
Walker was just different even on the patersons the wedge went in on the left

Buddy
January 24, 2011, 05:56 PM
The Walker was was not made by Colt. They were made by Eli Whitney, Jr. at his armory for Colt. Colt did not have a factory at the time he got the orders for the Walker. Maybe that is the reason for the difference.

pohill
January 24, 2011, 07:50 PM
Colt was involved in every step of the development of the Walker.
Check out this book - it's pretty good reading.
http://www.amazon.com/Saml-Colts-own-record-transactions/dp/B0007EGGF2

All of the letters contained in that book are in the book A HISTORY OF THE COLT REVOLVER by Haven & Belden.

Buddy
January 25, 2011, 02:30 AM
I did know that Colt was involved in every step of the design and development of the Walker. Thank you for the link to the book. It looks interesting. I'll check it out

pohill
January 25, 2011, 07:41 AM
They want $60 for a used copy? Wow. I think I paid about $10 a few years ago for a new one.
Like I said, that book is contained in A HISTORY OF THE COLT REVOLVER by Haven & Belden. Now that's a good book with about 700 pages. I recently sold one for about $30 shipped

If you enjoyed reading about "Just wondering why" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!