Which is better, Glock or Springfield XD??

PDA

savage22
January 23, 2011, 01:41 AM
Hello all, I have a question regarding which gun is better. It may be that some of us think one over the other because of personal preference, but I am interested in both personal thoughts and facts on both pistols. I have a Glock 21, which I love, and my brother has a Springfield XD .45 ACP. I have shot his at the range and I still like mine better, although this is probably just personal preference.

So...which pistol is better, the Glock or the Springfield XD??

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is better, Glock or Springfield XD??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hirundo82
January 23, 2011, 01:48 AM
Glock is my preferred platform (I don't like the high bore axis of the XD), but both are good, reliable guns from reputable manufacturers. It really comes down to personal preference.

chicharrones
January 23, 2011, 01:48 AM
In my limited experience with XDs and Glocks, it's a tie. It just depends on which one suits you better, and that can change model to model.

beeenbag
January 23, 2011, 01:53 AM
I like glock, I pretty much gave up after trying to find something more Attractive that I liked to shoot as well. Ugly blocky glock all the way

dehughes
January 23, 2011, 01:58 AM
"Which is better, Glock or Springfield XD??"

Yes.

But seriously, I owned one of each until yesterday. I'll let the internet guess which one I sold....

mstrat
January 23, 2011, 06:47 AM
"Which is better, Glock or Springfield XD??"

Yes.

Exactly. :)

Unless you're buying some obscure branded firearm, or a beat up used one, it's a safe bet that any modern firearm from a reputable company is going to do what it's supposed to do, and not do what it's not supposed to. Every company has lemons, but in general 99.99% of the time it's all about personal preference.

altitude_19
January 23, 2011, 10:39 AM
I like the lower bore axis of glock, but prefer the mag release of the XD...I think I like the Glock trigger more, but the insides of the XD are built so heavy they have been called "bullet proof." Definitely a toss-up in my book.

fireside44
January 23, 2011, 10:50 AM
I've shot the hell out of some XD's, five inch tactical and subcompact model. They are better than the Glock in my opinion. I'd still take a decent 1911 over either of them.

mljdeckard
January 23, 2011, 10:50 AM
Chevy.

Steve 48
January 23, 2011, 10:55 AM
I like the Glocks better than the XD's.

Weevil
January 23, 2011, 01:54 PM
I prefer the Glock.

As mentioned lower bore-axis for better control, and the Glock trigger has a shorter reset for more rapid fire and less chance of short-stroking.

The Glock is a simpler design with fewer parts and is much easier to detail strip and reassemble than the XD. No roll-pins in the Glock design so no need for a hammer and punch. If all you ever do is field strip and clean then the XD is fine but personally I like to strip them down to the individual parts to clean, polish, and inspect and this is one area where the Glock is head and shoulders above most guns out there.

Then there's the support aspect if you do need a part. You can buy every single part for a Glock and not just from Glock there are dozens of aftermarket sources for parts and accessories as well. Last I heard the only way to get an XD part is to send the gun back to Springfield and have it replaced by them.

They're both decent guns but like anything else it all depends on what you want from a gun and what you plan to do with it.

CDR_Glock
January 23, 2011, 02:05 PM
Chevy.

Acura.

CDR_Glock
January 23, 2011, 02:12 PM
I prefer the Glock.

As mentioned lower bore-axis for better control, and the Glock trigger has a shorter reset for more rapid fire and less chance of short-stroking.

The Glock is a simpler design with fewer parts and is much easier to detail strip and reassemble than the XD. No roll-pins in the Glock design so no need for a hammer and punch. If all you ever do is field strip and clean then the XD is fine but personally I like to strip them down to the individual parts to clean, polish, and inspect and this is one area where the Glock is head and shoulders above most guns out there.

Then there's the support aspect if you do need a part. You can buy every single part for a Glock and not just from Glock there are dozens of aftermarket sources for parts and accessories as well. Last I heard the only way to get an XD part is to send the gun back to Springfield and have it replaced by them.

They're both decent guns but like anything else it all depends on what you want from a gun and what you plan to do with it.

Glocks are proven over a longer period. More mods are available. Simple designs are much more reliable for me. No safeties. No dated design.

XDs shoot well, though. If you're a 1911 guy, the grip angle is the same. Some people like grip safeties. Some like the loaded chamber indicator. The extras that come with the gun don't suit everyone (holsters, etc). Finish on the slide is not as durable.

It's just preferences. Nothing more. Buy one and just be happy. If not, sell it. Someone will buy it.

ekgandj
January 23, 2011, 02:15 PM
I own 2 XD's and I would take a stock glock trigger any day. Although since I did a trigger job on my 40sc I love it. Like what was said before they are both great reliable guns.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

Hanzo581
January 23, 2011, 02:17 PM
Whichever one feels best in your hand, and if you can try them out ahead of time, whichever one you shoot better.

They are equal in quality and reliability, but yes, Glock parts and mags are more plentiful.

achysklic
January 23, 2011, 02:19 PM
I prefer XDM better safety, bore axis is a hair higher, but lower than most like a 1911. Glock dropped the ball on the GEN 4's they released a gun before they were ready. That alone killed it for me on Glocks. Better mag release on XD'S better package deals included with purchace. SA customer support second to none.

Jspotto
January 23, 2011, 02:27 PM
I had an XD 45, traded it for the XDm .40. Also have a Glock 22. I prefer the XDm over the Glock. Seems to have less recoil and Twist when shooting. Did not like the XD .45. The double stack made it too heavy for my liking. I will be replacing the .45. Have been eyeballin the Para GI Expert. Any comments on this gun out there? Your opinions appreciated;)

TonyT
January 23, 2011, 03:16 PM
Both have a repuration as reliable psitols. Your choice will most lkely be determined by how they feel in your hands.
I have shot and carried Glocks but prefer the ergonomics of the S&W99 and current S&W M&P line.

gofastman
January 23, 2011, 04:37 PM
I own 2 XD's and I would take a stock glock trigger any day. Although since I did a trigger job on my 40sc I love it. Like what was said before they are both great reliable guns.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk
Android.

On a serious note, I say Glock. I like the XD's ergos but I just can not stand grip safeties

Hanzo581
January 23, 2011, 04:47 PM
That's weird....it's a passive safety...if you are holding the gun it will fire.

Color me confused...

smallbore
January 23, 2011, 04:49 PM
Matter of personal preference. I prefer the Glock.

Nagant
January 23, 2011, 04:51 PM
I have both and will continue to own and shoot both. I can shoot both pretty well, but I often find that people I take shooting have a natural preference for one or the other. Both great pistols. I have full confidence in either one...

dogbaloo
January 23, 2011, 05:02 PM
They are similar, but fit very in the hand very differently. I love glocks, but I can't stand the grip angle...they just aren't pleasant for me to shoot.

For that reason...

I shoot Sig!:neener:

easyg
January 24, 2011, 02:09 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM6527.jpg

I like both, but overall, I prefer Glocks.

I really didn't like the XD trigger like I thought I would.
Even though it's single-action, it was still kind of heavy with too much travel for my taste.

Mike J
January 24, 2011, 07:00 PM
Which do you shoot best? I have an XD-40 that I like. I have shot my neighbors Glock 23. If I had bought one of them I would have been happy. I like them both.

2WheelsGood
January 24, 2011, 07:05 PM
How different would the outcome have been if the choice included the XDM instead of the XD?

PabloJ
January 24, 2011, 07:07 PM
In practical terms neither is superior......it's just matter of better palm fit.

Jim PHL
January 24, 2011, 07:42 PM
I agree with mstrat:

"Exactly.

Unless you're buying some obscure branded firearm, or a beat up used one, it's a safe bet that any modern firearm from a reputable company is going to do what it's supposed to do, and not do what it's not supposed to. Every company has lemons, but in general 99.99% of the time it's all about personal preference."

Couldn't have said it better...so I just copied it!

CZ57
January 24, 2011, 07:57 PM
xdM Interchangeable backstraps to fit the pistol to your hand. Match grade barrel for accuracy. Conventional rifling that allows you to use lead bullets.;)

MadMercS55
January 24, 2011, 08:04 PM
The Glock is a more proven platform. I do like the overall feel of the XD though. One thing to consider, in the rare event the striker leg breaks off, the XD will fire, the Glock won't. On the XD, part of the striker leg is the drop safety. Striker leg breaks off, the striker travels forward unhindered.

tradja
January 24, 2011, 08:10 PM
I prefer Glocks, due to the wide availability of OEM and aftermarket parts, the lower bore axis, and their better reputation (vs. XD) among many serious high-round-count shooters in classes and matches that I attend.

Also, since my Glock Armorer certification, my ability to provide that level of support to my current and future Glocks really steers me in that direction.

ETA: But ultimately, for most users, I agree wholeheartedly with this:
Unless you're buying some obscure branded firearm, or a beat up used one, it's a safe bet that any modern firearm from a reputable company is going to do what it's supposed to do, and not do what it's not supposed to. Every company has lemons, but in general 99.99% of the time it's all about personal preference.

jmr40
January 24, 2011, 08:13 PM
The guns themselves are basically equal, but have slightly different strengths and weaknesses.

Having owned both I let the XD go for several reasons. The silly grip safety was part of the reasoning, but it really came down to the support after the sale.

Glock magazines and holsters are everywhere and much cheaper. XD's have to be sent back to the factory for even the slightest problem that could be fixed at home in 5 minutes with a Glock. Even night sights must be installed at the factory on a XD.

If you do have problems nobody treats their customers better than Glock customer service.

Glocks are vailable in more calibers, and configrations. I like my Glock in 10mm, but can use my very similar G17 in 9mm for cheaper practice while using the same platform.

HKGuns
January 24, 2011, 08:30 PM
Ford..........they didn't take any of your money either.

Mike J
January 25, 2011, 01:05 AM
Ford..........they didn't take any of your money either.

I'd agree with this. Of course my poor old 2000 F150 only has 300,000 miles on it with no major repairs.

WardenWolf
January 25, 2011, 01:46 AM
I DO believe the XD is a better firearm overall. Of people who have run them hard in stress tests, they seem to outperform the Glock and keep on working long after the Glock has broken or otherwise failed. And I'm not just talking about wearing out. I'm talking physical durability as well. I've also not heard any reports of an XD going kaboom (and yes, I know I'm going to catch flak for just mentioning this, but it's true and worth mentioning). There's lots of Youtube videos out there showing exploding Glocks. I can't find one showing an XD blowing up. Granted, when one DOES explode, it's almost ALWAYS with the .40 caliber round. I avoid this caliber personally, regardless of gun. It's too risky for my taste due to bullet setback problems with this particular caliber.

REAPER4206969
January 25, 2011, 02:09 AM
I DO believe the XD is a better firearm overall. Of people who have run them hard in stress tests, they seem to outperform the Glock and keep on working long after the Glock has broken or otherwise failed. And I'm not just talking about wearing out. I'm talking physical durability as well.
O 'Rly?

SIGLBER
January 25, 2011, 02:33 AM
I've got both types of guns. 2 XD's and three Glocks. The XD's grip is much better than the Glocks for most people. The XD after shooting awhile usualy has a better trigger than the Glocks. But the Glocks are simpler in design, have more after market parts, and have been around longer so it is a known performer. Either one will work and work well for you. Just see which meets your needs better.

BrainOnSigs
January 25, 2011, 02:41 AM
Glock vs Springfield XD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdYBc0BLgQ&feature=related)

bsctov
January 25, 2011, 06:07 AM
If you aren't going to be using your firearm for any serious work, and only plan to mess around with it at the range, I'd get the Springfield.

jmr40
January 25, 2011, 10:33 AM
There are a couple of Glocks out there with a documented round count approaching 300,000. Not saying an XD won't do it too. But until someone does my money is still on Glock for durability.

Harley Quinn
January 25, 2011, 10:56 AM
I have 3 Glocks and many many after market items for them (barrels, springs etc..) So with my 3 Glocks, I have 9mm, 357 SIG, 40 cal, 400 Corbon, 10mm, 45 ACP and 2 conversion kits in 22 cal...:D

Regards

CajunBass
January 25, 2011, 10:59 AM
Six of one, half dozen of the other. I had an XD, my wife still has a G-19. Not a lot of difference I could tell. I traded my XD off when I saw something I wanted more at the time, but there was nothing wrong with the gun.

I later replaced it with a Smith & Wesson Sigma. Not a lot of difference for about half the price. Go figure. <shrugs>

Take your pick.

Promod1385
January 25, 2011, 11:22 AM
Chevy.
Ford!

I have shot Glocks much more at this point and i feel indifferent. I would trust my life to either.

My Pa just bought an XD-45, he loves the XD way more than any Glock. Maybe because he lives to buy from American companies? Who knows.

Ben86
January 25, 2011, 11:36 AM
So...which pistol is better, the Glock or the Springfield XD??

That's for you to decide.

jmr40
January 25, 2011, 12:11 PM
Promad1385

Tell your pa the XD is made in Croatia. Not that that is a bad thing, just don't buy thinking you are getting a USA mde gun with Springfield Armory. They don't make anything. Just an importer who sells guns made elsewhere in the USA.

nerdiegurl
January 25, 2011, 01:22 PM
Doesn't matter, it only matters that you can hit your target effectively with whatever you have on hand.

Wishoot
January 25, 2011, 02:02 PM
Flip a coin....

They're both good.

Pick the one that feels best in your hands and you can shoot well.

They're both very common and most ranges should rent both.

I have a Glock 22, but I really like the XDM45.

savage22
January 25, 2011, 04:58 PM
2wheelsgood, it does not matter either way to me whether its an XD or XDM. As I mentioned in the post, I have a Glock and my brother has the Springfield. I am not interested in buying a Springfield because I like my Glock better than my brother's Springfield, and even more so after shooting his. I was just wondering what the community thought of the two guns and who preferred which. Thanks.

Madcap_Magician
January 25, 2011, 05:45 PM
This video is a pretty good rundown comparison of each gun. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdYBc0BLgQ)

CZguy
January 25, 2011, 06:10 PM
Chevy.

My family has always driven Fords.

Just one question though.............if so many people make aftermarket parts for Glock........why hasn't someone made the frame with a 1911 grip angle?

Sort of like an AR-15 striped lower. Heck I would like my Glock if I didn't have to adjust my aim every shot.

CajunBass
January 25, 2011, 07:25 PM
Just one question though.............if so many people make aftermarket parts for Glock........why hasn't someone made the frame with a 1911 grip angle?

They do.

http://www.ccfraceframes.com/advantage.php

DenaliPark
January 25, 2011, 07:46 PM
I DO believe the XD is a better firearm overall. Of people who have run them hard in stress tests, they seem to outperform the Glock and keep on working long after the Glock has broken or otherwise failed. And I'm not just talking about wearing out. I'm talking physical durability as well. I've also not heard any reports of an XD going kaboom (and yes, I know I'm going to catch flak for just mentioning this, but it's true and worth mentioning). There's lots of Youtube videos out there showing exploding Glocks. I can't find one showing an XD blowing up. Granted, when one DOES explode, it's almost ALWAYS with the .40 caliber round. I avoid this caliber personally, regardless of gun. It's too risky for my taste due to bullet setback problems with this particular caliber.
Damn, if it wasn't for the unfair pricing of Glock, by God, the xd would be carried by cops & militaries worldwide...As it is, the world will just have to make do with the inferior Glock....What an evil conspiracy against the xd....

easyg
January 25, 2011, 08:37 PM
I DO believe the XD is a better firearm overall. Of people who have run them hard in stress tests, they seem to outperform the Glock and keep on working long after the Glock has broken or otherwise failed. And I'm not just talking about wearing out. I'm talking physical durability as well.
I would like to see some of these stress tests you speak of.

Do you have more info?
A link or video perhaps?

Thanks,
Easy

hobodemon
January 25, 2011, 08:47 PM
The issue with exploding Glocks is because the .40 cartridge that caused the malfunction was handloaded with once-fired brass, so the case is weaker. Since Glock barrels don't fully support the cartridge, they allow a weakened case to rupture. As long as you don't put used brass in it, a Glock .40'll be just fine.
Regarding the bullet though, yeah I try to avoid .40 Short and Weak too lol 10mm Auto was a great cartridge, and it's a shame it's not as popular as it should be

WardenWolf
January 25, 2011, 10:28 PM
Easyg, I don't have a link, but some guy deliberately abused his XD for a full year. Driving over it, throwing it off cliffs, etc. Basically he did everything he could to kill that gun. At the end of the year, it was still working, and it's now his nightstand gun.

As for the Glock issue, it's not just reloaded cases that have caused an explosion. The primary issue is bullet setback. I'm not sure why, but the .40 S&W bullet is more easily pushed deeper into its case during loading. Just 1 millimeter is enough to double the pressure inside the casing. When coupled with the Glock's poorly supported chamber, this equals KABOOM. The other issue is that the Glock .40 is actually just a slightly modified Glock 9mm. Rather than building on the stronger .45 platform, they chose to use the same components as the 9mm version, but with a different barrel, which has reduced thickness due to the larger round. People on this very forum have confirmed this with calipers. So despite the fact that the Glock .40 is firing a more powerful round, its barrel and chamber are actually WEAKER. It's also been shown that around 25% of Glocks are capable of firing slightly out of battery. While that's not normally an issue, it will certainly aid a casing in letting go if the slide isn't quite closed by allowing it to push back and expand excessively. Fact is, Glocks have a KNOWN history of safety problems, which Glock still has failed to correct. I cannot respect or place my life on a product like this.

REAPER4206969
January 25, 2011, 10:43 PM
The other issue is that the Glock .40 is actually just a slightly modified Glock 9mm. Rather than building on the stronger .45 platform, they chose to use the same components as the 9mm version, but with a different barrel, which has reduced thickness due to the larger round.
*sigh*

DenaliPark
January 25, 2011, 10:54 PM
Easyg, I don't have a link, but some guy deliberately abused his XD for a full year. Driving over it, throwing it off cliffs, etc. Basically he did everything he could to kill that gun. At the end of the year, it was still working, and it's now his nightstand gun.

As for the Glock issue, it's not just reloaded cases that have caused an explosion. The primary issue is bullet setback. I'm not sure why, but the .40 S&W bullet is more easily pushed deeper into its case during loading. Just 1 millimeter is enough to double the pressure inside the casing. When coupled with the Glock's poorly supported chamber, this equals KABOOM. The other issue is that the Glock .40 is actually just a slightly modified Glock 9mm. Rather than building on the stronger .45 platform, they chose to use the same components as the 9mm version, but with a different barrel, which has reduced thickness due to the larger round. People on this very forum have confirmed this with calipers. So despite the fact that the Glock .40 is firing a more powerful round, its barrel and chamber are actually WEAKER. It's also been shown that around 25% of Glocks are capable of firing slightly out of battery. While that's not normally an issue, it will certainly aid a casing in letting go if the slide isn't quite closed by allowing it to push back and expand excessively. Fact is, Glocks have a KNOWN history of safety problems, which Glock still has failed to correct. I cannot respect or place my life on a product like this.
Quoted as a beautiful example of cluelessness....serious cluelessness...

Geno
January 25, 2011, 10:58 PM
Six points for Glock, and half-a-dozen points for the XD. I prefer the Glock for fit, and more readily accessible after-market parts.

My opinion and a buck-fi'ty will get you a cup-o'-joe in some places. I suspect the opinion doesn't count for much.

Geno

Ben86
January 26, 2011, 12:11 AM

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to be wrapped up in such a misconception....

CZguy
January 26, 2011, 12:18 AM
Quote:

They do.

http://www.ccfraceframes.com/advantage.php

Thank you, I didn't know that.

The price though added to the price of the Glock, makes a Sig P226 affordable. Still nice to know they are out there though, that would solve all my complaints about my Glock.

Weevil
January 26, 2011, 01:15 AM

Well WW I do have some actual links to tests of Glocks that we can all look at, not just memories of a site.

The first and most famous is Chuck Taylor's Glock which had 100,000 rounds through it back in '95 and last I heard he was up to 250,000 but I don't have a link for the updated figure.

http://www.volny.cz/glock/html/tested.htm

And as for being ran over by a car, tied to the bumber and drug, buried in sand, mud etc...and then dropped out of an airplane here's one with a Glock that even has pics!

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

You sure that was an XD you saw in those tests and not a Glock?

GLOOB
January 26, 2011, 01:21 AM
Damn, if it wasn't for the unfair pricing of Glock, by God, the xd would be carried by cops & militaries worldwide.
The XD is a similar design and it's made in a country where labor rates are lower. It should be price-competitive. But when it was known as the HS2000, the gun didn't sell, even at $300.00. You're happy to pay nearly twice as much, now that it's marketed by Springfield Armory. :)

Actually, Glock barrels are one of the reasons they can be made so cheap. The machinery needed to make them doesn't grow on trees. But once it's in place, high quality barrels can be churned out on the cheap.

Aside from any "unfair" price difference, XD wouldn't catch on with many departments because it's single action, and it's not as easy to maintain.

DenaliPark
January 26, 2011, 02:09 AM
The XD is a similar design and it's made in a country where labor rates are lower. It should be price-competitive. But when it was known as the HS2000, the gun didn't sell, even at $300.00. You're happy to pay nearly twice as much, now that it's marketed by Springfield Armory. :)

Actually, Glock barrels are one of the reasons they can be made so cheap. The machinery needed to make them doesn't grow on trees. But once it's in place, high quality barrels can be churned out on the cheap.

Aside from any "unfair" price difference, XD wouldn't catch on with many departments because it's single action, and it's not as easy to maintain.
"Uhh" my post was "sarcasm!"

kev778
January 26, 2011, 02:18 AM
Looking to get the XD sub-compact in .40. Anyone tried out the sub-compact?

cencrunner
January 26, 2011, 11:16 AM
Had a Glock 17, shot it alot, great gun. Now have a XD 45, haven't shot it much yet but it acts like it is going to be good too. Personal preference.

KenW.
January 26, 2011, 11:28 AM
The XD is the only pistol that let me set my 1911 down.

DustyVermonter
January 26, 2011, 02:45 PM
Okay.....(inhales)....(exhales).......Glocks

CZguy
January 26, 2011, 03:47 PM
Okay.....(inhales)....(exhales).......Glocks

Glock's what? I believe in economy of words, but....

Lord Palmerston
January 26, 2011, 04:20 PM
XD's are very good pistols, GLOCKS are excellent pistols.
IMO, GLOCKS are better because:
1. Very simple conception, fewer parts hence more reliable and less prone to failure.
2. Always goes bang. Even if it is dirty or sooted.
3. Almost indestructible. Your great, great, great grandchildren might well inherit your GLOCK which will still shoot reliably. See torture tests.
4. Great trigger, short pull and very quick. Much better than other polymer guns.
5. Interchangeability: parts, barrels, etc.
6. Huge aftermarket options. Customization is very easy.
7. Logical concept: line starts with .380 AUTO and goes up till .45 ACP. Internally all the weapons are the same. Well the .380's are blowback locked. Therefore if one decides to start with 9 Luger, progression towards heavier calibers is much easier. (Incidentally, I cannot understand why BATFE does not allow GLOCK to sell .380's in the USA.)
8. GLOCK line covers all usual autoloader calibers and some non usual, such as .45 GAP and 10 mm. This is a great advantage vs. other brands, which only offer two or three possibilities.
9. Good and efficient customer service.
10. Last but not least, moderate price.

DustyVermonter
January 26, 2011, 04:25 PM
(OP) Quote: "Which is better, Glocks or Springfield XD's"?

(me) Quote:Okay.....(inhales)....(exhales).......Glocks

(Czguy) Quote:Glock's what? I believe in economy of words, but....

That was a very simple answer to a very simple question, and while I am no expert, I am of the opinion that Glocks are 2nd to none as far as reliable defense tools go.

Everything I have experienced with my Glock's so far leads me to believe that they are the best all around.

DustyVermonter
January 26, 2011, 04:31 PM
XD's are very good pistols, GLOCKS are excellent pistols.
IMO, GLOCKS are better because:
1. Very simple conception, fewer parts hence more reliable and less prone to failure.
2. Always goes bang. Even if it is dirty or sooted.
3. Almost indestructible. Your great, great, great grandchildren might well inherit your GLOCK which will still shoot reliably. See torture tests.
4. Great trigger, short pull and very quick. Much better than other polymer guns.
5. Interchangeability: parts, barrels, etc.
6. Huge aftermarket options. Customization is very easy.
7. Logical concept: line starts with .380 AUTO and goes up till .45 ACP. Internally all the weapons are the same. Well the .380's are blowback locked. Therefore if one decides to start with 9 Luger, progression towards heavier calibers is much easier. (Incidentally, I cannot understand why BATFE does not allow GLOCK to sell .380's in the USA.)
8. GLOCK line covers all usual autoloader calibers and some non usual, such as .45 GAP and 10 mm. This is a great advantage vs. other brands, which only offer two or three possibilities.
9. Good and efficient customer service.
10. Last but not least, moderate price.

Yes, these are my thoughts as well

easyg
January 26, 2011, 04:35 PM
Just do a google search for "Glock torture tests" and you will see plenty that should convince even the greatest skeptic that Glocks are extremely tough and rugged.
When it comes to tough, Glock sets the standard that other pistols are measured against.

As for the Glock issue, it's not just reloaded cases that have caused an explosion. The primary issue is bullet setback.
Bullet setback is rare, and easily avoided.
And it can cause a "kaboom" in any firearm, not just Glocks.

When coupled with the Glock's poorly supported chamber, this equals KABOOM.
Generation 3 and Gen 4 Glocks do not have poorly supported chambers.

The other issue is that the Glock .40 is actually just a slightly modified Glock 9mm.
Not true.

So despite the fact that the Glock .40 is firing a more powerful round, its barrel and chamber are actually WEAKER.
Again, not true.

It's also been shown that around 25% of Glocks are capable of firing slightly out of battery.
This has been "shown"???
Where did you see this?

Fact is, Glocks have a KNOWN history of safety problems, which Glock still has failed to correct.
Having shot Glocks for many years, yes even .40 caliber Glocks, I have to disagree with you.
Stay away from reloads and bare lead, keep your Glock in a holster that covers the trigger and trigger-guard, and keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot, and the Glock is 100% safe.

GLOOB
January 26, 2011, 05:03 PM
There's a few things I like about Glock, aside from the ergonomics and action type.

1. Parts: Glock parts are easy to acquire and install, yourself. Mags are cheaper and near indestructible.

2. Finish: Sure, keep telling yourself it's the same thing.

3. Support: XD's are popular in the U.S. But considering the entire world market, Glock is a hundred times as big. The support will always be there. If the frame on your Glock every disintegrates from UV degradation, sometime around the year 2300, Glock will still be around. They'll replace your frame for a mere $40,000.00, which by that time will buy a pair of sneakers. :) In comparison, XD is just a local, passing fad.

4. XDM? How bout taking 50 dollars off the price of the gun, instead of selling it in a case the size of a suitcase full of generic kydex toys? I'd be much more interested in an XD if it was cheaper than a Glock. I think the XD could really dominate the Sigma-class pistol market. Considering the aftermarket support, that's probably where it belongs.

Hedgemeister
January 26, 2011, 05:12 PM
Just traded my xd for a glock. I guess I made my decision.

Ben86
January 26, 2011, 05:18 PM
XDM? How bout taking 50 dollars off the price of the gun, instead of selling it in a case the size of a suitcase full of kydex crap?

Come on now, how can you make it through the day without a holster that has a picatinny rail on it? Oh and I believe the case does as well, you're missing out! ;)

CZguy
January 26, 2011, 08:18 PM
(OP) Quote: "Which is better, Glocks or Springfield XD's"?

(me) Quote:Okay.....(inhales)....(exhales).......Glocks

(Czguy) Quote:Glock's what? I believe in economy of words, but....

That was a very simple answer to a very simple question, and while I am no expert, I am of the opinion that Glocks are 2nd to none as far as reliable defense tools go.

Well...........I do like to keep it simple, but being somewhat simple I need it explained to me. :D

CZ57
January 26, 2011, 11:39 PM
For me it's easy as a handloader.

Glock Ka-Booms

XD/XDm No Ka-Booms

We had a report just a couple of days ago of a Ka-Boom event with a newer generation Glock 22 here on the forum. For those that are in denial.

Has Glock started relieving ejection ports yet? A simple machining step that allows your cases to eject cleanly instead of striking the ejection port and coming out with a triangular scar. Glock really doesn't want you shooting reloads in your pistol and these are just a couple of reasons why.

I'll stack my XDm .45 against a G-21 any day of the week and twice on Sunday!;)

easyg
January 27, 2011, 12:19 AM
We had a report just a couple of days ago of a Ka-Boom event with a newer generation Glock 22 here on the forum. For those that are in denial.
Yet I just went to range today and shot 200 rounds through my Glock 27

....without a single kaboom!!!!!:eek:

And then I switched barrels and fired another 100 rounds of .357Sig through my pistol....

Again, without a single kaboom!!!!:)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM6487.jpg

Has Glock started relieving ejection ports yet? A simple machining step that allows your cases to eject cleanly instead of striking the ejection port and coming out with a triangular scar.
The brass ejects just fine and doesn't hit me in the face.
What more could I ask for?

Moose1995
January 27, 2011, 12:19 AM
I have only fired a glock 9 mm, never owned. I liked it just fine, but didn't love it. I have an XD 45, and absolutely love it.

REAPER4206969
January 27, 2011, 12:25 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJqLoFpR0uFxOQmHcTM1_FIpwqt81acmaP769j4MacUiIcFBvG

CZ57
January 27, 2011, 12:41 AM

....without a single kaboom!!!!!

With factory ammo? Ka-Booms come from a reloaded Glock case that was bulged on the first firing then reloaded to have the previously bulged area of the case end up over the feedramp where Glocks don't adequately support the casehead.

Reaper, a double charge will do that to any pistol. A double charge is irresponsible reloading and differs greatly from a Ka-Boom event. You don't state what caused the damage to that XDm but I'd be willing to bet you it was from a double charge of fast burning powder and not a Ka-Boom event.;)

Marshall
January 27, 2011, 01:22 AM
XD for me, because I prefer it and shoot better with it.

REAPER4206969
January 27, 2011, 02:15 AM
Reaper, a double charge will do that to any pistol.
Correct. Find one example of a Glock experiencing a catastrophic malfunction with in spec factory ammunition.

GLOOB
January 27, 2011, 02:36 AM
Glocks don't adequately support the casehead.
Of course they do. Glock case head support is the defacto standard. By definition, they have adequate case head support. Imagine Federal trying to sell ammo "for all firearms, except Glock." If ammo makers want to stay in business, they will make their ammo work in a Glock. Same deal for reloaders. Reloads can be made to work in all Glocks with some common sense, although I would keep the loads light with an early .40 or 10mm barrel.

Aside from case head support, the other issue that causes case head bulges is early release of the slide/barrel lockup. This is how you get brass with guppie bellies that start way up on the brass, close to the mouth. Glocks have a good design, in this regard. Many rounds of +P+ subgun ammo have been fired out of 9mm Glocks. And there are .45 Super shooters who use Glock 21's with a simple spring swap.

Quote:

....without a single kaboom!!!!!
With factory ammo?
Well, I went to the range, yesterday, and shot 200 reloads out of my G27 without a single kaboom.* And I think I was lucky, because a lot of the brass was crazy bulged... before I sized it. 'Course it looks like new coming out of my Glock.

*Artistic liberties taken. No, it wasn't yesterday. But it was ~200 rounds over the last month or so. I also have noticed that my G27 has more chamber support than pictures of G22 barrels I've seen on the web. It looks like the G22 might be cut differently from the G27/23.

CZ57
January 27, 2011, 02:50 AM

I can provide the link if it's necessary for you to get it. I'm talking about Glocks chambered for the .40 S&W and no they do not support the casehead as well as an XD/XDm. If you own one stick to factory ammo and forget about using your cast handloads in any chambering unless you're into spray and pray.;)

DustyVermonter
January 27, 2011, 02:57 AM
I've shot Glock pistols for years and have yet to have one blow up in my hand.

I'm not deterred by these "kaboom" stories.

Glock is a bedside gun in my home, if a burgalar/slasher was to break into my occupied home and he had any hopes and dreams on my gun blowing up in my hand when confronted, he would soon find himself in a regrettable situation, as I imagine my Glock would perform flawlessly, as always.

I guess if I'm ever doing some high volume shooting with some sketchy reloads and my Glock blows up, well then I guess it'd be about time to buy a new Glock. :)

CZ57
January 27, 2011, 03:49 AM
Here's the link. Pistol was a gen 3 Glock 22:http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=567184

REAPER4206969
January 27, 2011, 04:46 AM
I reload the .40S&W and have been all along.

GLOOB
January 27, 2011, 04:56 AM
One thing he noticed was that there was still a visible bulge left after resizing his rounds. That sounds a bit sketchy. It could lead to firing while slightly out of battery. I wonder if he was using a chamber check or a cartridge gauge on his reloads.

kev778
January 27, 2011, 09:19 PM
Ok. So what's the summary should one buy the G27, the XD-sub compact, or the XDM-subcompact in .40

G27 has the shortest height by 1/2 inch so more comfortable for CCW? The XD is cheaper than the XDM. That's always good. The XDM holds 2 more rounds in the standard configuration (11 rounds of .40) So more firepower.

Plus the XD and XDM come with the striker indicator and loaded chamber indicator all nice little additions. Plus the XDM has the all purpose rail.

Based on this particular forum though I really don't know if any of them are better because obviously they all shoot well. So it would appear that the message is what, I ask?

CZ57
January 27, 2011, 09:32 PM
Just noticed earlier over at XDTalk that SA has announced that the XDm Compact in .40 S&W is NOW SHIPPING. Haven't seen what the compact magazine capacity will be but it will com with a 16 round mag and grip extension that will effectively make it a XDm 3.8 with a fullsize grip. Essentially giving you two guns in one. In the compact configuration it will be very close to the G-27 with a little longer barrel.;)

mopar92
January 27, 2011, 10:21 PM
I sold all my Glocks after shooting my XD... Period

kev778
January 27, 2011, 11:21 PM
It is 11 + 1 for the compact mag and 16 + 1 with extended mag Go to:

http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/home.html

CZ57
January 27, 2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the link, kev. ;)

kev778
January 28, 2011, 01:12 AM
sure, no problem!

fxstchewy
January 28, 2011, 08:44 AM
I have both and like them the same, i can shoot them about the same, the only one i consider a "favorite" is my G26 because it conceals the best.

Ben86
January 28, 2011, 11:45 AM
Polymer guns in general feel top heavy, but the XD feels most top heavy of all. That is one thing that turned me off to them.

altitude_19
January 28, 2011, 12:30 PM
Polymer guns in general feel top heavy
The empty ones! And if you're having trouble making an empty gun fire, I might be able to help you figure out why it won't work. :'P

Ben86
January 28, 2011, 02:23 PM
The empty ones! And if you're having trouble making an empty gun fire, I might be able to help you figure out why it won't work. :'P

I think even the loaded ones feel top heavy sometimes. Especially in 9mm, with it's light ammo.

Not sure why the empty ones won't fire though.

Armed Accountant
January 28, 2011, 03:06 PM
For me, I like the G26 a lot better than the subcompact XDs just because of the feel of them. But, I like the feel of my XDm better than a Glock 17. I've never had a problem with either my Glock 26 or Springfield XDm.

I will say, though, that the Glock internals seem to be easier to clean. And I wish I could get a 33 round mag for my XDm just for fun. :D

2WheelsGood
January 28, 2011, 03:11 PM
And I wish I could get a 33 round mag for my XDm just for fun. :DThat probably just got you put on a watch-list. :uhoh:

Paladin7
January 28, 2011, 04:24 PM
I strongly prefer the Glock...for CCW

The Glock is rock solid reliable, has a longer successful track record in duty and real world shootings, parts are easy to find and cheap and maintenance is easy, which is especially good in a SHTF scenario.

The XD has a lot more bells and whistles and has a better grip, but is also a more complex design. Another point is it is not easy to replace the extractor on an XD...this kills it for me.

I want a simple reliable platform and Glock has it in spades...

YMMV

1911austin
January 28, 2011, 04:26 PM
Glocks for me but YMMV. :)

rybu0305
January 28, 2011, 05:31 PM
Personal preference. What do you shoot best and what fits your hand best?

I have found that XDs have been specifically designed not too fit my hand. Either the grip is too long or not long enough to get a full three finger grip (I prefer).

ElrodCod
January 28, 2011, 06:22 PM
I used to have an XD9 service that ran flawlessly and I sold it in a fit of pure foolishness. I now have an XD9 Tactical, it too runs flawlessly. I don't know that it's better than a Glock or vice versa. That being said, I'd probably go with a Glock 19 for a carry gun because of it's outstanding track record and size.

10mmGlock
January 28, 2011, 09:20 PM
I like both, but my XD40 is probably my favorite as I have shot far more rounds out of it than anything else I own.

CZ57
January 28, 2011, 10:08 PM
I like both, but my XD40 is probably my favorite as I have shot far more rounds out of it than anything else I own.

Considering your handle, that's a nice endorsement.;)

JohnGalt88
January 28, 2011, 10:47 PM
Both are proven platforms and both are horribly ugly, however the XD fits my hands better and i like the trigger much better. The bore axis is higher on the xd but almost every thing feels high compared to my CZ. I personally prefer the take down procedure on the XD and the XD also comes with more goodies (holster, mag pouches) so that's something to think about.

Just rent one of each at the range and see which feels better for you.

GLOOB
January 28, 2011, 11:13 PM
I've decided I'm not going to comment on these threads anymore, until I've owned an XD. This gives me an excuse to buy another gun. :)

Mike J
January 29, 2011, 12:03 AM
I've decided I'm not going to comment on these threads anymore, until I've owned an XD. This gives me an excuse to buy another gun.

I like your attitude.

As far as the extra goodies that come with the XD I have not used their holster (although I did see someone post over at XDtalk that they had mounted it under the dash of their truck). I don't use their magazine carrier either. I don't get the point in having a dual magazine carrier that has the magazines pointed opposite directions. I haven't run across one but from what I understand they sell the XD in what they call the essentials package now without a lot of the "free" goodies for $100 dollars less.

Ben86
January 29, 2011, 02:00 AM
I don't get the point in having a dual magazine carrier that has the magazines pointed opposite directions.

Can you explain why there are picatiny rails on the magazine pouch and case? Picatiny rails are cool, but that seems a bit silly, or maybe gun cases do need surefire tactical lights attached.

GLOOB
January 29, 2011, 02:09 AM
They probably thought, "why not?" Maybe you could carry your flashlight on it, since most holsters won't accommodate one. As for the mags pointing in different directions, I can see how that might be useful in a stressful situation. Your hand will at least find one of them?? :)

But that's the main problem with the extras... Not everyone is going to like that mag carrier or holster. So why not just sell the thing cheaper, and let people buy exactly what they want!?

REAPER4206969
January 29, 2011, 04:10 AM
Glock's holster and pouches are better.

http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_peep.gif

Harley Quinn
January 29, 2011, 12:26 PM
Interesting not many comments on the better safety feature, regarding the XD's grip safe:confused: As far as shooting etc. it is a situation where you have got to be there, and done it, and so many probably have not:what:

:D

.357 magnum
January 29, 2011, 12:33 PM
They are not even close anymore. The XD M is it!!!:evil: In case you wonder I own 5 XD M's. [2/9mm-1/.40 and 1/.45]

mbruce
January 29, 2011, 12:44 PM
I read so many of these Glock vs XDM threads and I wonder why they are compared so many times.... they should not be in the same comparison -- not b\c of quality ...but because one has a beavertail safety and the other does not. The safety alone should put it in a different comparison category. The glock should be compared to a SW M&P, FNp, Sig, Hk... the XDM should be compared to other guns with beavertail safeties.
If I ever own a XDM it will be because I was looking at a 1911 and decided on a polymer 1911.... not because i choose XDM over another polymer pistol that does not contain a beavertail safety.

With that said -- if you are buying for doomsday then Glock all day long--simply because more people will have glock parts and etc...and you can trade/barter a glock a lot easier than you can an XDM... im sure this will light up a few arguments.

2WheelsGood
January 29, 2011, 03:32 PM
I own 5 XD M's. [2/9mm-1/.40 and 1/.45]Is this that "new math" thing I keep hearing about?

savage22
January 29, 2011, 05:28 PM
I agree that the extras that come with the XD/XDm are senseless. I own a blackhawk holster for my G21 and I love it, it is so much more sturdy and tough (not to mention the safety button that engages the trigger guard so the gun cannot be pulled out without me pressing on the release button, which is a great safety feature) then the holster that comes with the XD/XDm when you buy the gun. The one that comes with the XD/XDm is flimsy and it just doesn't feel right when you put it on your belt. Its too bad you can't sell those extras right back to the dealer when you buy the XD/XDm.
I have shot both and the XD/XDm grip seems to be too small for me, whereas the G21 grip is larger and easier to hold. My brother and I are divided on this, but I believe my Glock is better than his XDm, and I always prove it at the firing range. Glock all the way!:D

rscalzo
January 29, 2011, 06:03 PM
Sounds like the "what's the best oil for my Harley" discussions.

Weevil
January 29, 2011, 07:02 PM
Sounds like the "what's the best oil for my Harley" discussions.

Or which is better a Ford or a Chevy?

Coke or Pepsi?

AK or AR?

9mm or .45?

Blonds or Brunettes?

Everybody's got a favorite.

mbruce
January 29, 2011, 07:51 PM
brunettes

Weevil
January 29, 2011, 08:10 PM
Or you could be one of those weirdos who likes redheads, drives a Dodge, drinks RC, has an FAL and shoots an M&P .40.

Hanzo581
January 29, 2011, 08:19 PM
The safety alone should put it in a different comparison category

So having one more safety than the Glock makes these two gun incomparable? Very strange...

mbruce
January 29, 2011, 08:52 PM
And moonpies.....

mbruce
January 29, 2011, 08:55 PM
So having one more safety than the Glock makes these two gun incomparable? Very strange...
Depends on how you look at it....that safety is a deal breaker for many others as well.

It makes sense to me to compare guns with a beavertail safety to other guns that have a beavertail safety. So for me..its 1911 vs xdm....glock vs hk/sig.....something like that...strange may be --but makes sense to me! :-)

.357 magnum
January 29, 2011, 09:48 PM
It is Two 9mm One .40 and two .45's I know My typing sucks and I get in a hurry sometimes.

The Best to All!

Frank

CZguy
January 30, 2011, 01:25 AM
Or which is better a Ford or a Chevy?

Coke or Pepsi?

AK or AR?

9mm or .45?

Blonds or Brunettes?

Well this is pretty simple. Fords, Coke, AR, .357 Sig, and many Blonds are Brunettes so I guess that you're safe either way.

As to Glock vs. XD..............I think the Sig 226 has them both beat. :D

Paladin7
January 31, 2011, 10:56 AM
I see a lot of posts in this thread about hand fit, safeties, what you shoot best, etc. that are all good and relevant points.

When I hear a question like Glock vs XD, I'm thinking the op wants a single pistol that might be used for defensive purposes. I'm also thinking about the very real possibility of a SHTF scenario in the US, which is very likely to occur, especially with the deficit being at 1.5 Trillion and the Fed monetizing the debt for the next few months. So, this changes the game in the way I would make this decision.

So, the key factors for me is reliability, availability of parts and ease of detail stripping and replacing any parts necessary to keep the gun up and running.

The Glock fits this bill perfectly. The XD does not.

The Extractor on an XD is a critical part that is a royal bitch to replace on your own. This in my mind should be factored in for strong consideration...

ccs
January 31, 2011, 11:38 AM
Paladin7, what does an SHTF scenario stand for?

Ben86
January 31, 2011, 11:54 AM
It stands for when *feces hits the fan, or when things go wrong.

*replacement for actual word

Holo
January 31, 2011, 07:27 PM
Shot both. Bought the XDm. Glock had a better stock trigger but i liked the customizable grip on the XDm. Parts for XD(m) is not an issue as they are as plentiful as glocks on the internet.

Both have passed the 20k round abuse test. (ie. chemically stripped of lubricant and fired 20k rounds) Both of also done the frozen/dumped in sand/dropped from 20ft test and still functioned flawlessly (other than a 15# trigger ;) )

flip a coin, you will be happy with either result.

mbruce
January 31, 2011, 07:59 PM
Chuck Norris has a Glock.... enough said.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is better, Glock or Springfield XD??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!