wallmart wants to build a store on grants campsite

PDA

andrewstorm
January 24, 2011, 02:17 AM
I knew they had no shame but ,Can you believe,wall mart is going to court to build only one mile from civil war battlefield memorial,in VA.the proposed site is the former site of general grants camp and the parking lot is a former field hospital encampment,wow i say the only way they can build 10 miles from the sacred ground is if they consult historians and reenactors first accept there advice on where to build,and then support local historical preservation projects,and reenactments to boot.:scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "wallmart wants to build a store on grants campsite" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BHP FAN
January 24, 2011, 02:20 AM
um, no. they shouldn't.

napp
January 24, 2011, 03:19 AM
I don't see a problem with that. It's not like Robert E. Lee slept there or anything. :rolleyes:

jimmyraythomason
January 24, 2011, 09:24 AM
I don't think the yankees are using it anymore and Wal Mart is a southern company.

jimmyraythomason
January 24, 2011, 09:28 AM
What is the legal status of the site? Is it under NPS control?

bigfatdave
January 24, 2011, 09:31 AM
Meh.

If you don't like it, buy the land yourself and set up whatever park, business, memorial, cathouse, or souvenir shop you like.

It isn't the government's job to keep sites you find significant pristine.

ForumSurfer
January 24, 2011, 09:48 AM
To keep this firearm related...there will be many artifacts such as cannon balls, musket rounds and all sorts of interesting stuff forever covered over in concrete.

But it doesn't really matter. Grant and Lee both slept in many places and many hospitals were erected all over the place down here. Let's face it, an overnight camp site and field hospital aren't that spectacular.

The entire port city of Wilmington, NC all the way down to Fort Fisher is pretty much one big historical site that is the home of many battles.. Progress can't be stopped for the benefit of saving minor historical sites. We save the more important ones and move on. If we kept every remotely historical site, we wouldn't have many places to live an put cities.

That being said, there are tons of historical sights in the Wilmington area to visit. There's also a walmart or 3, one of which I'd guess sits on a piece of dirt that once had union or southern troops stationed.

I don't think this makes walmart evil. Business practices do. That being said, I bought up all their 9mm Tulammo last night since it was marked $7.59 per 50. I guess I'm evil, too. :)

72coupe
January 24, 2011, 10:10 AM
Every place in Virginia is 1 mile from a battlefield or camp site.

Guns and more
January 24, 2011, 12:01 PM
If you don't like it, buy the land yourself and set up whatever park, business, memorial, cathouse, or souvenir shop you like.

It isn't the government's job to keep sites you find significant pristine.
I agree.

Look at it this way. Grant isn't paying taxes, and Wal*Mart is.
Everyone wants their gub'ment programs, but nobody wants taxpayers hanging around.

mykeal
January 24, 2011, 12:10 PM
Would the reaction be different if the proposal were to build a doctor's office or clinic, or a school? How about a Piggly Wiggly? Is the concern anti-Wal Mart or the loss of the historical context?

Sam1911
January 24, 2011, 12:44 PM
Look, historic preservation is VERY near and dear to my heart (it's my life's work), but this ISN'T gun-related, no matter how many cannon balls might be buried under a parking lot instead of under a meadow.

Sorry, but OT.

If you enjoyed reading about "wallmart wants to build a store on grants campsite" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!