Government Security at National Monuments

PDA

Russ
December 31, 2003, 11:16 AM
A few months ago I went to Phiadelphia and went in to see the Liberty Bell. This was my first trip tp Philly and it was toward the end of the day when I went to see the Bell. I was there with my wife. Outside of the building where the Bell is there was a sign that says no guns, knives, bombs and what have you. I wasn't carrying but I did have a folding knife in my pocket. I showed it to one of the loser Park Rangers there and he said I could not take it in. Since my wife had seen the Bell previously, she held he knife as I went in.

When I got in, they had metal detectors like an airport. However, at the Bell you had to take off your belt, your glasses your shoes and anything else with metal. I did all of this and was still beeping at the metal detector. They took me to a place where another Park Ranger waved me with a hand held wand. I still beeped when the wand passed over my hip area. He said I could go ahead through. After I got dressed again, and put on my glasses so I could see, I went and saw the Bell. I wondered why I was still beeping when the wand was run over me and why I was allowed to go through.

Later on that evening, I figured it out. I was wearing a pair of jeans that had a rivet at the hip pocket as do 99.9999% of jeans out there.

I'm not complaining but I wonder if this sort of thing is going on at all the national monuments. Seems like a bit of overkill but I don't make the rules. I know some idiot hit the Bell with a hammer a few years back but I think a hammer would have been detected at a level below the rivets in my jeans.

Also, there a disabled man in a battery powered wheel chair a few spots in front of me. They opened the gate for him and did not check anything on him or the chair. He could have had a fairly large bomb where the battery was on that chair and gone right through.

If you enjoyed reading about "Government Security at National Monuments" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
7.62FullMetalJacket
December 31, 2003, 01:11 PM
There are two problems with this:

1. The symbols that we are protecting are just that: symbols. We still have liberty even if some idiot blows up the liberty bell. Or at least I thought so.

2. The government is far too large to be able to provide TSA-like security for an inanimate object. If the NPS is worried about knives scarring the bell, post a ranger at the bell. Simple. What else could a knife do?

:barf: :mad: :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Government Security at National Monuments" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!