Tikka T3 .308 or Century FAL?

PDA

BevrFevr
December 31, 2003, 04:15 PM
I have about 450 to spend and will not be able to buy another anything until after the impending nuptuals in July.

Heres the dilema, I need(want) a distance piece to take deer, shoot holes in paper, and make hamburger out of local varmints.

I already have an SKS, SAR-1 and an Ishapore enfield. The ishy shoots like minute of barn in my hands so I won't hunt with it.

I was thinking m700 adl/bdl but think the tikka is a better rifle.

Should I go for a sub quality fal to feed my black rifle lust or go with a sweet sporter that may take me some time, trading and tax returns to put optics on.

I thought I had my mind made up on the tikka but you know how it goes?

Help!

-bevr

edited to add: would it be blaphemy to put a tasco on a tikka just for now?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tikka T3 .308 or Century FAL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BusMaster007
December 31, 2003, 04:31 PM
Remington 700 ADL Synthetic.

The one thing about the TIKKA T3 that sticks in my mind as being undesirable is the HAVING TO LOAD IT BY USING THE MAGAZINE...

Correct me if I'm wrong T3 owners - - -
You CAN'T load the rifle without removing the magazine FIRST.
You CAN'T load through the port with the magazine in the rifle.

I wouldn't get a T3 based on that alone.
I don't care how much they cost or how accurate they may be.

The Remington 700 ADL is a BLIND magazine that MUST be loaded or unloaded through the port, period.
No magazine to load or lose.
They're ususally very accurate rifles.
The scope mounts are readily available and inexpensive.

I'd recommend the Weaver scope/base/ring setup to save money and get a decent scope on a decent rifle.
Put the TASCO on it if you need to for now. (Who hasn't done that before?)
The Remington would be a reasonably priced firearm to suit your needs.
Good Luck.

Sunray
December 31, 2003, 04:38 PM
No brainer. The Tikka. Century's QC is iffy at best. An FAL from them may or may not work properly, if at all. They build parts rifles with zero regard to whether or not it's safe to shoot, uses the right parts or will shoot well enough, if it does work to hunt with. The Tikka is a well made rifle that should drive tacks with good ammo.
Then you can use some of the money you get at your wedding for a proper FN. Do it before the new wife wastes it on useless stuff for the new domicile. You don't need new drapes, furniture, dishes, etc.

BevrFevr
December 31, 2003, 04:44 PM
but I already own several guns that use magazines and they don't bother me that much and I have yet to lose one. I have dropped and broken one before though but the tikka mags look pretty rugged.

I'll tell you what though the remy my bud has sure has a sweet trigger. If I could afford a vss or a sendero I sure would like one but I think a tikka may be able to out shoot em without all the weight.

Thanks for the input.

-bevr

Omaha-BeenGlockin
December 31, 2003, 05:16 PM
Get the Tikka and don't waste your money on a sorry Century.

Or even sorrier Remington POS.

BevrFevr
December 31, 2003, 05:47 PM
Sure don't look like the remmy's of yesteryear do they. I just get down right put off by looking a the adl/bdl's.

I was just assuming there was still some quality hiding in there some where.

My century SAR-1 is terrible. It is reliable and all but It looks like a gorrilla twisted it like he was wringing out a wash rag. I thought there were less ways for them to hose up a FAL but I guess not. I really want a DSA anyways.

Tikka it will be.

I just was drawn to the dark side of needing another balck rifle in a moment of weakness.

Thanks all!

-bevr

kumma
December 31, 2003, 08:35 PM
certainly two very different rifles why not get both, just buy the one that suits your needs now.

a just picked up a tikka t3 stainless lite in .308, man there not kidding when they say light. havent shot it yet as i have yet to buy a scope. only thing that i noticed was the stock seems hollow. i needed a rifle i can drag through the thick woods and not woory about condition wise.

i can load my tikka whitetail 1 round at a time dont know wht you couldnt with the t3 the receivers look very similar.

id say if your hunting get the tikka or other decent bolt action.

January 1, 2004, 09:16 AM
I have a 70's era built Rem BDL in .308 which was gone over by Norm Chandler. He said it was one of the"tightest" rifles he had ever worked on. Run out on bolt receiver/interface was less then .002". Chamber to muzzle concentricity was so close zero-out as to be unmeasurable. Told me when he finished that with match-grade ammo it would shoot MOA as far as I could see to shoot it. I'm happy with it... :D 'Course it's a lot of fun terrorizing the paper with my FAL, also. Everbody needs at least one.

Dave Markowitz
January 1, 2004, 11:29 AM
If you really want a FAL, maybe you can save up anothre $150 or so and get one from Ohio Rapid Fire. I have no personal experience with one but they seem to have a good reputation on the boards.

tbige
January 1, 2004, 11:49 AM
Top three choices: Tikka, Tikka, Tikka.

txgolfer45
January 3, 2004, 08:50 PM
That is exactly what I did last Fall. Bought the Remington 700 ADL Synthetic in .270 as my first deer rifle. It is quite accurate even with the cheap Remington Express Core Lokt cartridges. I put a Leopold VX-I 3-9X40 scope on it. A very nice combination.

I've bagged two deer so far with my 700 ADL.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get the 700 ADL.

Scott

Phantom Warrior
January 3, 2004, 09:06 PM
txgolfer45, I also bought a Remington 700ADL (.308 though) last fall. I also have had good results with Remington CoreLokt. And I also have taken two deer with mine. Yikes. :uhoh:

BevrFevr, I picked up my Remington 700 w/ a Swift 3x-9x scope for a hair under $600. You could definitely get just the rifle for under $450. I've been very pleased with my rifle. I don't use it for anything but deer hunting, so I'm not a high maintenance user. However, it has dropped my deer in their tracks the last two years. Both shots were taken at a little over 150 yards. Despite it's detractors, I think this would be a fine choice for a rifle.

On the other hand, my brother bought a basic Savage with a scope similar to mine for under $450 at WalMart. He didn't see any deer with it this year, but it was very accurate when we sighted it in. That might not be a bad choice if you are buying on a budget and want to get a scope now. Good luck.

txgolfer45
January 3, 2004, 09:55 PM
Phantom Warrior,

And I have a Glock 23 and 26 as well. lol. I also have a G19. :D

My shots with my Rem 700 ADL were at less than 100 yds, I think. They both dropped right where I hit them.

I got the rifle and scope for around $570 plus tax on sale from a local sporting goods store.

Scott

goon
January 4, 2004, 12:11 PM
I just got an Ohio Rapid Fire FAL. I have only gotten to run one mag through it as of now, but it is looking like it is gonna be a great rifle.
If you could just pull together another $100.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tikka T3 .308 or Century FAL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!