MN looking to repeal state background checks

PDA

Leverb66
January 27, 2011, 11:08 AM
http://www.startribune.com/politics/local/114693259.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUycaEacyU

MN has big time financial problems and the money saved in repealing these laws should be reason enough.

If you enjoyed reading about "MN looking to repeal state background checks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
griff383
January 27, 2011, 11:16 AM
I never understood those laws. I have zero offenses, had a carry permit, yet always seemed to get delayed about half the time. And, it always seemed to happen with the most ridiculous purchases. Bought an AR-15 with no problem, tried to buy a .22 rifle... delay.

My friends dad does the paperwork to purchase a handgun every year just in case he comes across something he wants. I cant imagine how frustrated I would be if I found the other love of my life only to be told I cant buy because I didnt ask mommy and daddy for permission to do so

hirundo82
January 27, 2011, 11:35 AM
The laws requiring a purchase permit from the local sheriff/police to purchase handguns were originally Jim Crow laws, intended to keep disfavored minorities from purchasing.

With the advent of the NICS system, I don't know why any states still have these laws on the books.

Standing Wolf
January 27, 2011, 03:08 PM
The laws requiring a purchase permit from the local sheriff/police to purchase handguns were originally Jim Crow laws, intended to keep disfavored minorities from purchasing.

With the advent of the NICS system, I don't know why any states still have these laws on the books.

Politicians hardly ever willingly give up power or taxes.

Husker_Fan
January 27, 2011, 03:22 PM
Nebraska requires a handgun purchase permit, but most people here like them. They are good for three years and if you have one, the NICS check is waived for any purchase that the permit is good for. It's a ten dollar permit that is in your hands within three days of applying.

Once you have it, there are no delays because there is no additional check at the time of sale. You just walk in, put your money down on a gun and leave with it.

We also just had a new law pass last year that waives the purchase permit if you have a ccw permit.

stchman
January 27, 2011, 06:35 PM
This is a double edged sword for me.

I am one of the lucky people that gets intermittent delays (for no reason). I would be all for me paying $5 to get a card that says I am approved to buy a firearm. The card would be good for 3 years. This in no way means that the state of Missouri can keep tabs on me and keep a database of what I buy.

I would also be in favor of Missouri using a CCW in place of a 4473.

It's obvious that the 4473 does not work very well as I get delays sometimes and proceeds the other!!!!

I refuse to get the UPIN as that allows the feds to keep a running total of what you have purchased.

stchman
January 27, 2011, 06:39 PM
To Husker_Fan:

That sounds awesome. I am a Missouri resident and a CCW holder. I imagine that the folks too cheap to get the $10 FOID style card or a CCW can use the 4473.

Frozen North
January 27, 2011, 06:55 PM
You still have to get run in the NCIS with a permit to purchace in MN. It is a free card that is good for one year. It is not something that the sheriff can decline if he feels you are unsuitable, he must issue if you are not legally excluded from owning firearms.

It keeps our sheriff's office busy for no good reason. It will not save you from a delay either. It is obsolete and it is time for it to go. They are already running you through the system every time you purchase anyway.

Husker_Fan
January 27, 2011, 07:03 PM
In NE you can buy a long arm without the permit, you just have to doe the NICS check. You have to get the card to buy a handgun. The state keeps no record that I am aware of that you ever actually make a purchase.

If the card does not replace the NICS check, I don't see any reason for a state to require it.

dogtown tom
January 27, 2011, 07:50 PM
stchman
I would also be in favor of Missouri using a CCW in place of a 4473.
Whut?:confused:
Form 4473 is a federal requirement and is required for every firearm acquired from a dealer. A concealed carry permit does not exempt anyone, in any state from completing a 4473.

It's obvious that the 4473 does not work very well as I get delays sometimes and proceeds the other!!!!
You getting a delay or proceed has nothing to do with the 4473. A 4473 is only a record of that firearm transaction, not a background check.

I refuse to get the UPIN as that allows the feds to keep a running total of what you have purchased.
Horsehockey.
After you complete a 4473 the dealer will call NICS for a background check. The FBI NICS asks the following:
Last name
First name
Middle name
Cadence (Jr., Sr., II)
Place of birth
Height
Weight
Social Security # (optional)
Race
State of residence
Country of citizenship
What is the type of firearm? (Handgun, Long Gun , Other Firearm)

That's it.

FBI NICS has no idea of the manufacturer, model, caliber or serial number of the gun you just bought. They also do not find out how many firearms you are getting.....a NICS check on a customer buying one rifle is exactly the same as a NICS check when buying six rifles.

Patriot1/3
January 27, 2011, 08:48 PM
NO background check for me. My CCW allows me to walk out with the weapon of my choice.
NO permit to own any weapon unless Class 3 or suppressed...lol.
And YES,I have to fill out the form.

If you enjoyed reading about "MN looking to repeal state background checks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!