150 Straight in Trap?

PDA

JimWahoo
January 27, 2011, 10:15 AM
I recently came across an old felt patch that has Western's Logo and the words 150 straight in trap. This was my grandfathers and am wondering if that is considered an easy accomplishment.

Thanks...Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "150 Straight in Trap?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esheato
January 27, 2011, 12:17 PM
No, not easy.

Trap consists of 25 shots from five different positions behind the trap house. The trap is also constantly rotating back and forth slinging birds different directions.

In my world, 23+ out of 25 is good. While 25s aren't really that difficult, maintaining perfection over 6 rounds is very difficult.

Quite an accomplishment I'd say.

PapaG
January 27, 2011, 12:50 PM
150 in trap would, I think, be about equivalent to a 300 game in bowling. Took me many years of toiling with 98s, and 99s to get my first 100.

Patches are routinely given out for 25, 50, 75, 100 and other multiples of 25, and must be earned in a single event....i.e., you wouldn't get a 100 patch for a 50 one week followed by a 50 the next week.

JimWahoo
January 27, 2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks...He died when I was young and I inherited some trophies for trap shooting as well as the guns he owned. I wish I still had his trap gun, can't remeber the brand, but was ornate, single barrel and had a trick trigger...once you pulled the trigger...you were commited...it fired on the release of the trigger.

Jim

PapaG
January 27, 2011, 01:15 PM
Called, appropriately enough, a "release trigger". Often put on guns when someone had a problem with flinching. Quite dangerous if you don't know one is on a gun. Also, tricky to deal with. I have shot with a couple people who use them and don't enjoy the experience, especially when they are not tuned right.

To each his own, I guess.

Jim Watson
January 27, 2011, 01:56 PM
A 150 straight is kind of an oddball these days, most races are in even hundreds.
I was a strong B class shooter with a 94.5% average when competing.
I had one hundred straight ever and a bunch of 99s. How about missing the first target, relaxing, and hitting the next 99 straight? I did that three times over 8-10 years.

ATAShooter
January 27, 2011, 01:58 PM
150 straight is damned good.

If you enjoyed reading about "150 Straight in Trap?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!