Unorthodox shooting stances...

PDA

kalibear45
January 24, 2003, 05:47 PM
I shoot using the modified Weaver stance myself. But I've shot with a friend's relative once and I almost died laughing...

He would approach the stall, pickup his pistol with his right hand, step back a little, point the pistol at the target with his right hand only, then bring his left arm towards his other hand in an overhand motion (like someone pitching a softball but overhand style) at the same time leaning his hip towards the right in a synchronized manner... (it looks funnier when you see it)

Anybody else ever encountered someone with a weird shooting ritual or stance? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Unorthodox shooting stances..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
geekWithA.45
January 24, 2003, 06:28 PM
Generally, I haul it out and let it rip, which works just fine, for me.

Then one day, I decided to shoot slowly and carefully, to create a "trophy target" for the fridge.

I stretched my arms, crinked my neck, and very slowly and with great deliberation checked my stance, drew, checked my grip, sighted, and fired.

I bleeping MISSED. :what:

Never again.

El Tejon
January 24, 2003, 06:30 PM
I've never understood why women always tend to "reverse" their feet. That is if right handed, they put the right foot forward instead of back.

Anyone else noticed this?:confused:

wingnutx
January 24, 2003, 06:49 PM
I've never understood why women always tend to "reverse" their feet. That is if right handed, they put the right foot forward instead of back.

That might seem natural to someone who has never assumed a fighting stance. I've never noticed it before, but I will keep my eyes open next time I shoot.

Chris Rhines
January 24, 2003, 07:11 PM
Notice it? Heck, I DO it. My natural point of aim is straight forward when my right foot leads my left a little bit.

Not just for the ladies anymore! :D

- Chris

Croyance
January 24, 2003, 08:44 PM
More importantly kalibear45, does he hit anything?

BerettaNut92
January 24, 2003, 08:48 PM
I notice people hold the gun as far away as they can, and lean back as much as possible.

Like they're pulling a rope or something.

nualle
January 24, 2003, 09:06 PM
The short answer: gazongas... hooters... ta tas... you get the idea.

I can't speak for anyone but me, but I find Weaver stance just plain uncomfortable and unnatural. I can't imagine ever adopting it in an adrenalized situation. "Reversed" is, therefore, the only comfortable way to minimize the size of my center of mass as a target.

When I'm shooting leisurely, for accuracy, I'm in isoceles stance. Wince all you like, boys... my groups aren't that bad. ;)

illuminatus99
January 24, 2003, 09:26 PM
I also lead with the right leg, probably a throwback from kung-fu, I used to lead with the right so I could throw snap kicks without telegraphing them.

TallPine
January 24, 2003, 10:11 PM
but I will keep my eyes open next time I shoot.

You usually shoot with your eyes closed ....?

Bet your groups will be smaller with your eyes open.

cheygriz
January 25, 2003, 12:20 AM
I've read some interesting LE studies a couple of years ago.

It seems that several departments that teach the Weaver Stance have determined that when confronted with a life or death situation, a majority of their officers automatically go into the isosceles stance.

Last I heard, the departmental psychologists were still trying to figure that one out.

Nightcrawler
January 25, 2003, 12:33 AM
Isoceles is very natural and symmetric. That might have something to do with it.

Upon demonstrating Weaver, Isoceles, and Dueling stances to a female friend of mine, she overwhelmingly favored Isoceles, and that's how she shoots.

Question: I've never had any formal pistol training. What's the difference between weaver and modified weaver?

bigjim
January 25, 2003, 12:45 AM
The modified Weaver is what he taught after he got circumsized.
Prior to that it was just the Weaver.

Standing Wolf
January 25, 2003, 01:01 AM
If I ever need to draw my concealed firearm, I'm sure it'll end up in the traditional bullseye hold. I've been trying to work up a steady, consistent twin-handed hold, but it still doesn't feel the least bit natural.

El Tejon
January 25, 2003, 08:21 AM
nualle, don't get it. How would an incorrect stance reduce pressure on the superstructure? Please enlighten me.

Bruce H
January 25, 2003, 09:23 AM
There are no incorrect shooting stances. Whatever works for the shooter is just fine. If someone stands on their head, shoots over their shoulder with a mirror, and puts them all center of mass it would take a very brave individual to tell them they were doing it wrong.

El Tejon
January 25, 2003, 09:30 AM
Bruce, maybe so if just speaking about marksmanship, but I've found that this "reversed" stance can hamper their mobility and gun handling. Just wondering where this comes from so I can relate???

wingnutx
January 25, 2003, 09:47 PM
Neat comparison of shooting stances (http://www.practicalshootingacad.com/modern_shooting_stance.htm)

Joe Gunns
January 25, 2003, 11:39 PM
30 years ago friend and his new girl and my wife and I were camping and decide to out the guns and plink. He shucks his .357 and his girlfriend reaches out for it. He asks if she knows how to shoot a handgun. She says, "Of course I do! I've been shooting with my dad." He says "This is a .357 magnum, wiht full-house loads." She says, "I know." So he hands it to her and goes off to his truck to get a box of ammo. I happen to look up from the trunk of my car to see her using a two hand hold, but holding it up within inches of her face as she squints through the sights like it was a rifle. Before I can say anything she yanks the trigger. Luckily she somehow manages to avoid getting clouted in the face, or dropping the gun. She ends up clinging to the gun with the fingernails of one hand on the end of the grip, holding it as far away from her as she can. Her eyes are as big around as saucers. "That things dangerous!" she says. Went and sat in the cab of the truck until we were done shooting. Didn't want to have anything to do with guns ever again. Taught me a lesson about not taking folks for their word on their shooting abilities.

dinosaur
January 26, 2003, 05:00 PM
We taught Isoceles at the academy. I had a female student who was a ballet dancer. Very lithe and wiry. I almost died when she went into the stance where her heels touched and her feet were splayed at almost 180 degrees!:banghead: It took quite awhile to get her to stop.:) She was a good shooter for a beginner though. I ran into her some years later and she had made Sgt. and had something to do with the dep`ts physical fitness program.

mack
January 27, 2003, 12:43 AM
O'kay I read the above link and now I am confused, it states that Rob Leatham uses the isosceles. Now I'm going to have to go back and look, but I would have swore I saw Leatham shooting and teaching a modified weaver on American Shooter.

PUMC_TomG
January 27, 2003, 01:41 AM
Well, I am a very unorthodox kind of guy.

I typically do shoot from Modified Weaver... but have been giving it up as of late. I've been working with what I have heard called the CAR technique... Your side faces the target, start with weapon up to your chest, thumbs on inside of grip, fingers on otherside. Weapon at around a 45 degree angle aiming with the left eye instead of the dominant. Right elbow is out parallel to the ground, and left is almost perpendicular.

It works pretty damned well so far... Still working it a bit.

I also shoot with right foot forward in a modified weaver alot... Why? Could be a throwback to my FMA training... It is a more natural fighting stance for practitioners of FMA. Plus, gets my weapon closer to the target, feels a bit more stable... I dunno, alot of "feeling" involved.

If you enjoyed reading about "Unorthodox shooting stances..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!