Ramping up the anti-gun dialog in the media

PDA

Rusty Shackleford
January 28, 2011, 12:00 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like every news agency other than Fox has been trying to prepare the public for gun control legislation? Every time I've checked the news since the Tucson shooting, there's an anti-gun article up. I figured it would die down, but it's been almost three weeks since the shooting and there's still a new one every day.

"According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, a gun in the home is 43 times more likely to be used to kill a friend or family member than a burglar or other criminal. The best way to avoid firearm injuries and deaths is not to own a gun. "

That's a direct quote from http://abcnews.go.com/Health/w_ParentingResource/pediatricians-parents-guns-home/story?id=12770294&page=2

Also, from an ABC News article yesterday...http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/atf-report-reveals-62000-guns-missing-dealer-inventories/story?id=12771760

"The estimate means that dealers "lost" on average 56 firearms a day between 2008 and 2010. In some cases, the weapons could have been stolen or sold under the table or on the black market, circumventing established registration procedures and background checks."

I figured the media was in cahoots with the White House trying to gain support, especially after reading about "journolist"... Then I thought I might just be paranoid.

...Then I found this: http://www.newsweek.com/2011/01/27/white-house-to-push-gun-control.html

"The White House said that to avoid being accused of capitalizing on the Arizona shootings for political gain, Obama will address the gun issue in a separate speech, likely early next month. He’s also expected to use Arizona as a starting point, but make the case that America’s gun laws have been too loose for much longer than just the past few weeks."

:uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ramping up the anti-gun dialog in the media" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rusty Shackleford
January 28, 2011, 12:05 AM
Almost forgot this one. From MSNBC a couple of days ago... http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41257218/ns/today-today_people/

Direct quotes:

"The massive size of this operation exemplifies the magnitude of the problem — Mexican drug lords go shopping for war weapons in Arizona," said Dennis K. Burke, the U.S. attorney for Arizona, who announced the raids at a press conference in Phoenix.

"Jared Loughner is accused of taking advantage of those laws to acquire a Glock 19 semi-automatic pistol and at least two high-capacity magazines at an Arizona gun store despite a history of mental troubles and drug use. U.S. agents say Mexico's drug cartels have similarly exploited the laws."

Spec ops Grunt
January 28, 2011, 12:26 AM
Why do I keep being worried. Thanks a lot guys. You took me out of my comfort bubble. :(

gc70
January 28, 2011, 12:41 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like every news agency other than Fox has been trying to prepare the public for gun control legislation?

Yeah, the media has been writing a lot about gun control. However, it is not a coordinated effort, but the nature of the beast. There was a high profile shooting and the usual suspects came out of the woodwork to advocate gun control. The shooting easily filled the production quotas for every news writer and reporter in the country. Then the gun control types were clamoring to be heard - more easy stories. Having focused on the topic for a few days, dusting off and recycling the perennial gun control stories is easier than coming up with fresh material. The topic will get thin soon and some other topic will rise to take the spotlight.

Look back at slow news periods and you will see other feeding frenzies. IMO, the strangest one recently was a spate of stories about the political and social ramifications of Dancing with the Stars.

Kim
January 28, 2011, 12:47 AM
MSNBC stared the next day and every hourly show has hammered to point. They will not let up. Nope. I belive we wil be lucky to keep magazines over 10. Me I'm buying more. The problem is many hanguns now hold over 10 without an extended magazine. Some of the bills want to make it illegal to sell or transfer any that are owned now. If Obama touches this I will not be surprised at all. I thought he was maybe smarter than this. But, Biden is now out in the MEDIA taking about the BAN. Hope we can beat this but who knows.

Kim
January 28, 2011, 12:50 AM
Lawarence O'donnell on MSNBC just called Browning a madman and said he turned a small gun shop into a Merchant of DEATH place. This is the type of lefties we are up aganist. I'm going to turn the TV off it is getting to be too much listening to the anti's. Mr. Browning a merchant of death??? Good Grief.

Neverwinter
January 28, 2011, 01:01 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like every news agency other than Fox has been trying to prepare the public for gun control legislation? Every time I've checked the news since the Tucson shooting, there's an anti-gun article up. I figured it would die down, but it's been almost three weeks since the shooting and there's still a new one every day.

No, Fox is also doing the same thing with the fearmongering about potential gun laws.
Broadcast media seems to be light on the mental health side of the story compared to the print media, which is much more relevant than the gun aspect.

armoredman
January 28, 2011, 01:03 AM
They want to keep the pressure up to try to woo the American people, who are proving to be quite resistant to this old drumbeat...and the media doesn't understand why we don't start bleating like sheep, "10 rounds good, 11 rounds baaaad"...

dec41971
January 28, 2011, 01:32 AM
start bleating like sheep, "10 rounds good, 11 rounds baaaad"...:D

Made my night. It has indeed gotten ridiculous. The SCOTUS spoke, that's done and over with! Even Governor Dean said as much. We won, and they lost. All he was appealing for though was limiting mag size to 10. Of course the fear and mistrust is where do they stop? I like to imagine if the freaking gun the crazy dude used had a single round in it, with no magazine in it, and he still shot the congresswoman as he did, they'd be calling for gun control regardless.

Geckgo
January 28, 2011, 01:49 AM
Obama said himself that violent crime is down. Shame he didn't connect it with the end of the AWB and the sudden interest in CC.

Spec ops Grunt
January 28, 2011, 01:55 AM
Remember, we have the house and two SCOTUS decisions. The momentum is on our side, we must also not only stop any half-hearted attempt at our freedoms, but we must press for a rolling back on gun laws.

We have "sensible gun legislation" right now. Remember, the presence of a firearm in a crime is a crime, we have the NICS check, and FFL laws, and the NFA.

Aren't these "sensible"?

Yet the anti's want more, their objective is not "sensible", it is radical. They wish to impose UK-esque measures.

DenaliPark
January 28, 2011, 02:01 AM
I don't think any gun control legislation will get floored for a vote in the house, of course that doesn't mean you won't hear the neo-dem propaganda machine, and its Obama administration ramping it up for all its worth!

You see they are going to use the issue to attempt to unbalance the new congress in exactly the same fashion that the new congress is using Obamacare to unbalance the neo-dems and their president. Its all for show....

Zoogster
January 28, 2011, 02:05 AM
I posted about this a week or so ago.

Ever since Tucson the national media has been reporting a much larger number of localized shootings.
Shootings that normally would only be local news are reported to many other parts of the nation even by local network stations.

In California I heard about small shootings in Florida and other distance states, and people on the East Coast post about small shootings that happen in California.
These are not large events that would have previously warranted reporting outside of their local area. Yet since Tucson they are considered newsworthy thousands of miles away?

There is an agenda. Many News Networks are run by antis or receive large amounts of funding by some antis.
Bloomberg, George Soros, and some similar individuals spend millions to shape the media nationally and internationally.

An agenda since the Tucson shooting is to soften up the American public, bombarding them with shootings, even though there is no increase in them, to give the perspective of a rampant problem through increased reporting to a larger audience.
They feel an opportunity presented itself and they are trying to make something happen.
Hopefully we can defeat them, but there is certainly agenda and bias in many parts of the media.

Prince Yamato
January 28, 2011, 02:37 AM
What Zoogster said is correct. I've noticed this too. Yahoo news' splash page always has these "2 shot in California" headlines. When you read it, you find out about two gang members shooting each other in the leg or something of that nature. The headline leads you to believe it was the prelude to a mass shooting.

rajb123
January 28, 2011, 10:34 AM
...more gun control is an almost certainty. I look for the Clinton/Brady law to make a comeback.

Joe in fla
January 28, 2011, 11:14 AM
"...more gun control is an almost certainty. I look for the Clinton/Brady law to make a comeback. "

I doubt it. As long as John Boehner is House Chairman any anti-gun legislation will probably never make it to the floor of the House. And IF it did, the Republican majority would surely vote it down. AND the Tea-party people would drive nails in it's coffin! The American people have clearly realized that gun control doesn't work. EVERY poll out there clearly shows that, as does the fact that 70+% of the states now allow concealed and/or open carry for every law abiding citizens in their state. The Republicans and Tea Party people are on a roll after the last election and they are NOT going to jeopardize the gains that they have made and their future gains by passing any kind of gun control.

On one hand we have the leftist Democrats and yellow journalist media trying to make every shooting into a major media event (aka circus) and crying for more gun control and on the other hand we have the NRA and Fox News screaming "they're coming to take our guns away!" so that they can raise more funds and gain more viewers. As a realist it's hard to separate the truth from the BS that both sides are serving up!

I suspect that anti-gun bills may be introduced in the Senate but nothing as major as the AWB. Probably just a limit on new magazines of over 10 rounds. Even in the Senate I'd give it less than a 50/50 chance of passing! In the House, any anti-gun bill is dead meat, period!

The ONLY bill that I think may pass (and should be passed IMO) would be one requiring that NICS be notified anyone that is rejected from schools for drug use or mental insanity; OR anyone that is turned down by the military for similar findings OR has had encounters with the police for similar circumstances. For me personally, I would not consider such a bill as "anti-gun".

Balrog
January 28, 2011, 11:28 AM
I didnt think this type of political discussion was allowed here?
Why not close this thread like all the others?

Art Eatman
January 28, 2011, 11:50 AM
'Cause I just now got here, Balrog. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Ramping up the anti-gun dialog in the media" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!