California, have to lock gun?

PDA

wasntme
January 28, 2011, 12:00 AM
Hi all,

I got very recently a sig p226 which came with a lock.
I know that Cal. requires us to have a lock and/or safe but I couldn't find anywhere info about the usage of it.
Does the gun have to be looked at ALL time?
Is it just good enough to own the lock?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "California, have to lock gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zoogster
January 28, 2011, 01:34 AM
The law merely requires a lock be provided when the firearm is sold from a dealer (or the person it is being sold to demonstrates they already have one.)

The gun never has to be locked with a trigger lock.
However California has specific crimes if a child is able to access a gun. If you have children or allow children into your home and one manages to access the firearm there is specific gun related charges depending on what they do with it.

Handguns are primarily transported unloaded in fully enclosing locking containers or in a vehicle trunk, no trigger lock is ever required.

wasntme
January 28, 2011, 02:02 AM
Thanks you for the clarification.

natman
January 28, 2011, 03:32 AM
The law merely requires a lock be provided when the firearm is sold from a dealer (or the person it is being sold to demonstrates they already have one.) purchased in the last 30 days with a receipt to prove it.

Detail added.

Librarian
January 28, 2011, 02:59 PM
And wasntme, please drop in at calguns.net - it's a new legislative session, and we need all the gun owner help we can get.

If you enjoyed reading about "California, have to lock gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!