Moving to Arizona, what do I need to know?

PDA

Blarelli
January 28, 2011, 03:43 AM
I'll be moving to Arizona in August and I'd like to know if there are any changes in law between Az and Utah. I carry just about everywhere, have an AR and an AK, and more than a few mags that aren't legal in the state of california. Anything I should know?

If you enjoyed reading about "Moving to Arizona, what do I need to know?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Buck Snort
January 28, 2011, 05:09 AM
The only thing you need to know is that you're move'n to a FREE state! Congratulations!

Unistat
January 28, 2011, 10:05 AM
To expand on the OP's topic, I also will be moving to AZ later this year. I have a Concealed Carry question.

I know AZ has constitutional carry, but when my wife and I move there we would like to get carry permits for reciprocity reasons.

Will our NRA certificates from our class in Michigan be sufficient for the training requirement? Or maybe our MI permits?

Harley Quinn
January 28, 2011, 11:11 AM
AZ has it all, ccw and open carry, it is all part of being a good citizen in that state:) Many enjoy that aspect, for me I am not that enthused about, it to be honest...There are many reasons:confused:

Regards

Art Eatman
January 28, 2011, 12:05 PM
AZ also has a new organization, "TrainMeAZ". With the relaxation on carry from the new laws, the gun training folks, retailers and other gun-friendly businesses are working on an education program about proficiency and safety. In a sense, spreading the THR idea across the entire state. "Responsible" is the key word.

Looks like a worthwhile endeavor, and it would provide a way to meet fellow shooters...

Blarelli
January 28, 2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the responses. One thing I'm going to miss is being able to carry in school, but I guess that's the price I have to pay.
Anything else I should know about local law?

(P.S. I'm looking at living close to the school I'll be attending in the north end of Glendale. Are there any area's I should not be looking at houses in?)

Nomad
January 28, 2011, 06:11 PM
The only two things I can think of for new folks moving here are 1) We have what is called "Shannon's Law" which does not permit you to shoot up in the air. 2) You can not carry a gun into any establishement which is posted "No Guns Allowed" "No Weapons Allowed"

Blarelli
January 28, 2011, 06:57 PM
My understanding is I don't need a permit to carry, but are there any specific guidelines about what to do when approached by the police, or anything like that? eg. in Utah when you get pulled over you are required to tell the officer that you have a permit and whether or not you are carrying.

Nomad
January 28, 2011, 07:14 PM
I am not aware of any laws but the instructor I had was a police officer of many years. His answer, if you get pulled over and it is a rutine stop no problem. If it goes to the point the officer is going to ask you to step out of the vehicle, with your hands in full view you need to inform him you are armed and what would he like for you to do. I only personally know of one person who was stopped while armed. He stated it right up front and the officer retained the handgun until he was ready to let my friend go.

wep45
January 28, 2011, 07:47 PM
if you are moving to south of flagstaff invest in a super, deluxe, high powered, multi room,:D air conditioner

2ndAmFan
January 28, 2011, 08:02 PM
Best advice I can give: Check with the AZ Atty General for any specific questions you may have. "No Firearms" signs are popping up at businesses all over AZ since Constitutional Carry was passed. I saw dozens of them while I was there visiting relatives for a few days at New Year's, and you are much better safe than sorry.

Patriot1/3
January 28, 2011, 08:09 PM
Your moving into weapons heaven.

Observer
January 28, 2011, 09:07 PM
It can be really hot!

Blackrock
January 29, 2011, 08:01 AM
If you are planning on renting an apartment beware when choosing a place as there are some real bad ones around the west valley area. Check em out in the daylight and at 10pm and watch for gang bangers hanging out in the parking lots. There are some good places though.

woodsoup
January 29, 2011, 08:25 AM
It can be really hot!
"...but it's a dry heat!"

Ohio Gun Guy
January 29, 2011, 09:21 AM
If i could get the Wife to go....I'd definately consider moving to AZ.:)

John_galt
January 29, 2011, 10:22 AM
Carry if you go to a political event.

Harley Quinn
January 29, 2011, 12:13 PM
What is there to fear, you are able to carry a weapon :what:

:D

If you are planning on renting an apartment beware when choosing a place as there are some real bad ones around the west valley area. Check em out in the daylight and at 10pm and watch for gang bangers hanging out in the parking lots. There are some good places though.

Quiet
January 29, 2011, 12:43 PM
Even though you do not need an AZ CCW permit to legally conceal carry in AZ, there are benifits to having an AZ CCW permit.

Such as...
... being able to legally conceal carry in an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption, as long as they do not have a "no guns" sign posted.
... being exempted from NICS when acquiring a firearm through an AZ FFL dealer.
... having reciprocity to carry in other states.
... ability to carry conceal any type of weapon, not just a handgun.

AXI
January 30, 2011, 07:54 PM
Congrats, Arizona is sane. Problem there is the climate (for some). If you don't mind that then you are going to have a good time.

Observer
January 31, 2011, 10:31 PM
Absolutely! And only if you haven't just come from Iraq or Afghanistan.

TheCol.U.S.M.C.
February 1, 2011, 12:21 PM
Unistat If you want to get a CCW for AZ you will have to retrain any training in MI will not transfer. Last I checked going rate for a class is around $65

In AZ you don't need a CCW to carry concealed but like Quiet said there are many other benifts to getting CCW permit.

Also it would be a good idea to take a AZ CCW class so you can learn about AZ gun laws

Unistat
February 1, 2011, 09:11 PM
Unistat If you want to get a CCW for AZ you will have to retrain any training in MI will not transfer...

Bummer. I mainly want it for reciprocity when we travel to other states.

WardenWolf
February 1, 2011, 09:36 PM
Everything that's legal in Utah is legal here, and then some.

armoredman
February 1, 2011, 09:49 PM
Qualifications for AZ CCW permit, this little gem pops up in answer to the OPs question about his NRA course...
6. Has ever satisfactorily completed a firearms safety training program authorized by the department of public safety pursuant to subsection N, paragraph 1 of this section or has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:

(a) A certificate, card or document of completion from a firearms safety training program authorized pursuant to subsection N, paragraph 1 of this section, dated not more than five years earlier than the date of application, that has affixed to it the stamp, signature or seal of the instructor or organization that conducted the program, or a current or expired permit issued by the department of public safety pursuant to this section.

(b) An original or copy of a certificate, card or document that shows the applicant has completed any course or class prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 or 9 of this section or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club or organization that conducted or taught the course or class attesting to the applicant's completion of the course or class.

(c) An original or a copy of a United States department of defense form 214 (DD-214) indicating an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions, a certificate of completion of basic training or any other document demonstrating proof of the applicant's current or former service in the United States armed forces as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 6 of this section.

(d) An original or a copy of a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or a license as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 7 of this section...
N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms training program that is approved by the department of public safety and that is conducted by instructors who are authorized by the department of public safety or who possess current national rifle association instructor certifications in pistol and personal protection and who submit to a background investigation, including a check for warrants and a criminal history records check.

2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03112.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

Answer is YES. Welcome to Freedom.
BTW, our Campus Carry bills have been filed for this year, we expect they will pass. ;)

Unistat
February 1, 2011, 11:53 PM
It will be nice to be in an extremely gun friendly state. Michigan is not too bad with gun laws, and its been getting better the last 5 years or so. It looks to be getting even better now that we have conservatives in all 3 branches here, but still Arizona is on a whole different level.

I knew I would be heading south for work, either Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or California. I am very thankful I did not have to go to SoCal!

McCall911
February 2, 2011, 04:23 AM
Apparently, you'll also have to watch out for undercover New York police officers working for the Lord High Mayor Bloomberg of NYC trying to make illegal purchases at Arizona gun shows. :mad:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=571121

catnphx
February 3, 2011, 10:12 PM
One thing I'm going to miss is being able to carry in school, but I guess that's the price I have to pay.

(P.S. I'm looking at living close to the school I'll be attending in the north end of Glendale. Are there any area's I should not be looking at houses in?)

A legislative bill has been presented to deal with this. In fact, there are several bills on the docket that favor the good guys. Let's hope they all pass.

Regarding the north end of Glendale, the Arrowhead Ranch area is very good. Phoenix is a big area and there are pockets of bad neighborhoods everywhere. Another benefit of living in Phoenix metro is that we have Two 5 Star shooting ranges (Ben Avery and Scottsdale Gun Club). I live about 2 miles from Ben Avery ... great place to shoot.

Good luck!!

Hedgemeister
February 9, 2011, 02:07 AM
There is a law that is trying to go through right now that would allow CCW holders to carry at school. As far as your school goes if you are going to Northwestern med school or T-bird, just find a place north of your school and you will be fine. Arrowhead is nice, but can be expensive.

Harley Quinn
February 9, 2011, 12:17 PM
Situation, last shooting in NoCal...Placerville...
Went home brought it back, shot and killed friend:confused:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/02/03/2011-02-03_california_elementary_school_janitor_john_leubbers_admits_shooting_principal_aft.html

Schools need to be a no gun zone imho... If all had one would it change, not sure about that, because, as a rule most folks are not into shooting others...

Takes some training, to be honest:uhoh: And they don't require much in AZ:confused:

Regards

Quiet
February 9, 2011, 07:36 PM
In CA, it's legal to carry in a GFSZ/on school property with a valid CA CCW permit.

Penal Code 626.9
(a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.
(b) Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, as defined in paragraph (1) of subdivision (e), unless it is with the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority, shall be punished as specified in subdivision (f).
(l) This section does not apply to a duly appointed peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal government who is carrying out official duties while in California, any person summoned by any of these officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while he or she is actually engaged in assisting the officer, a member of the military forces of his state or of the United States who is engaged in the performance of his or her duties, a person holding a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4, or an armored vehicle guard, engaged in the performance of his or her duties, as defined in subdivision (e) of Section 7521 of the Business and Professions Code.

If you enjoyed reading about "Moving to Arizona, what do I need to know?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!