How offen do you clean your carry gun

PDA

shootingfarm
January 24, 2003, 05:58 PM
Just saw thread on wiping down your carry gun, but how offen do you strip them down and clean them?

I try to clean and inspect them once a week, and I shoot them before I clean.

Paul

If you enjoyed reading about "How offen do you clean your carry gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JPM70535
January 24, 2003, 06:01 PM
Every time I shoot it, but at least once a week.

A CLEAN GUN IS A HAPPY GUN !!!!!!

funbob
January 24, 2003, 06:03 PM
I clean it after every range trip

DAL
January 24, 2003, 06:08 PM
Not nearly as often as I should. Thank goodness it's made of aluminum and stainless steel (S&W 642, probably the most concealable decent-power gun I've ever seen).
DAL

TheFrontRange
January 24, 2003, 06:09 PM
My .45 gets a thorough cleaning after every range trip. Every two weeks in between range times, I field-strip the weapon and lube the "high-friction points" lightly and wipe away any lint that's accumulated from carry. In the summer I wipe it down sometimes nightly because of sweat; otherwise, a wipe-down once a week.

mgjohn
January 24, 2003, 07:49 PM
Once a week on average. Every now and then twice a week.

JeepDriver
January 24, 2003, 08:23 PM
I don't carry on a daily basis, but I shoot my defensive gun once a week therefore I clean it once a week.

CAP
January 24, 2003, 08:24 PM
After each range session unless I know I'm going right back the next morning. :D

Mastrogiacomo
January 24, 2003, 09:36 PM
I clean them every time I use them. Never shoot out of a gun that's been used and never cleaned.;)

G-Raptor
January 24, 2003, 09:40 PM
Depends on what you mean by "clean". I usually go to the range about once a week, but I don't always take the same gun.

Generally, after a trip to the range, I spray some cleaner-lube down the barrel and run a bore snake through a couple of times, then wipe down the slide. Not really trying to get it "clean", just removing loose powder residue so it "smells fresh". ;)

About once a month, or about 1,000 rounds (whichever comes first) I break down the slide and give it a good scrub. About two or three times a year I tear down the frame for a thorough cleaning.

Schuey2002
January 24, 2003, 09:47 PM
Once every week or so...

(It feels good to be back in the fray !!) :)

Standing Wolf
January 24, 2003, 10:53 PM
I clean every gun immediately after returning home from the range, and clean my carry guns once a week.

Bothersome? Yes, but an old-timer told me once you can't expect your tools to take care of you if you don't take care of them—and judging by the condition of his triple lock, I guessed he knew whereof he spoke.

Hardtarget
January 24, 2003, 11:22 PM
I must be on the same page as FrontRange. We seem to have the same schedule. Don't forget to clean the mags also. Lots of dust and lint collects in there. I've found the top round HP totally packed with lint from a pocket. Once I found a dime wedged into the mag lip...so I don't carry change in the same pocket with mags anymore, either.
Mark.

cheygriz
January 24, 2003, 11:31 PM
Once per week, and after firing. I will clean my carry gun even if I've only fired one round.

My other guns only get cleaned after firing, and about every six months if they have not been fired. However, I live in a very DRY climate, so rust is not a problem. When I lived near the coast, I cleaned and lubed every gun weekly. whether it had been fired or not.

In the days of black powder, it was often said, "never let the sun set on a dirty gun." While that's not absolutely necessary today, I still consider it pretty good advice.

Walther P99
January 25, 2003, 12:03 AM
I clean it right after returning from the range.

TheFrontRange
January 25, 2003, 12:09 AM
I must be on the same page as FrontRange. We seem to have the same schedule. Don't forget to clean the mags also.

Arrgh, the mags, the MAGS, how could I forget to mention the mags?! :p

I do agree with you, Hardtarget. I never cleaned a magazine until I started a carrying a 1911 back in late '01...now I'm a mag-cleaning fanatic! I'll wipe the exterior of my mags down periodically between range trips, but after shooting they all get taken down completely, swabbed out, dried with a rag and patches, then left to "air out" while I go about cleaning the gun.

Captain Bligh
January 25, 2003, 07:26 AM
I try to go to the range every month but I don't always make it. If I haven't been in a while, I make sure I give my carry gun a light clean and re-lube once a month.

Randy

ojibweindian
January 25, 2003, 07:59 AM
About once a week and after every range session.

PeacefulWarrior
January 25, 2003, 08:17 AM
I clean my carry weapon after every range session (usually every week or two)
If I have been carrying my gun a lot IWB in hot weather then I'll wipe it down with a Sentry Solutions Tuff-Cloth every few days or so to keep it from rusting and to get rid of the lint that acculiminates.

Every six months I'll have my agencies armorer completly strip it and detail clean it.

Tamara
January 25, 2003, 08:49 AM
Which carry gun?

Kentucky Rifle
January 25, 2003, 02:03 PM
Every couple of weeks unless I've been to the range. Then I clean and check. I wonder about it sometimes, though. I remember Mr. McMillon saying once on "The Firing Line" something about cleaning you guns TOO much. Maybe he was right. He was right about every other thing that comes to mind. What a loss! :(

KR

If you enjoyed reading about "How offen do you clean your carry gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!