Jim Hurst PPC gun?

PDA

Lovesbeer99
January 29, 2011, 11:15 AM
I'm looking at a PPC gun on gunbroker and I asked the guy who built it. He responded with Jim Hurst who I never heard of. But that doesn't mean he's not a good smith. The guns is a S&W mod 10 with bull barrel, rib, etc.

Anyone heard of this guy?

If you enjoyed reading about "Jim Hurst PPC gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
January 29, 2011, 01:39 PM
Never heard of him when I was shooting PPC, but that was back in the 80s. The big names in the game then were Ron Power, Bill Davis and Frank Glenn.

If you don't mind my asking, what are PPC guns selling for nowadays?...I haven't even looked at my Davis M-14 in a while.

Lovesbeer99
January 30, 2011, 12:14 AM
If you have a model 10 already you can get it built for about 700.00. If you don't it will cost you about 100.00 new.

If you find one used, like the one on gunbroker now, the guy wants about 750.00 starting. It looks like a nice gun but there are a lot of hacks out there.

9mmepiphany
January 30, 2011, 12:54 AM
Thanks, I'm thinking of testing the market and just wondered if there was even a market for them

bluetopper
January 30, 2011, 01:05 AM
I found online recently Collectors Firearms in Houston had two nice old PPC guns for sale, they may still have them. One was a Clark built gun and the other was built by Royce Weddle. Both were built from model 10's and worth the money.

MrBorland
January 30, 2011, 08:15 AM
I haven't even looked at my Davis M-14 in a while.

Thanks, I'm thinking of testing the market and just wondered if there was even a market for them

How 'bout letting us look, then? Got pics? I'm a sucker for an accurate revolver. :D

I think their resale value does reflect the market for them. PPC's popularity has waned as has the number of people who'd generally choose a revolver over a semi-auto. There's only 1 PPC match I know of within a several-hour drive of me, and...if you can believe this...it's semi-auto only. Revolvers aren't even allowed! :confused::eek:

For what they are, then, used PPC revolvers are often among the better deals out there. Often not good news for the seller if they were the original owner who sunk some coin into it.

Old Fuff
January 30, 2011, 11:40 AM
MrBorland is right. When it comes to PPC revolvers it's a buyer's market because today hardly anyone wants a 6" heavy barreled gun with a big rib on top, chambered in .38 Special, that's often converted to double-action only.

But if you can get over all of that you'll find they will shoot rings around anything one is likely to see at most shooting ranges - especially if the target is moved out to 50 yards. :evil:

If it matters, and the platform is K-frame S&W, a new hammer assembly will often convert it back to SA/DA.

I've seen name brand conversions up for sale for as little as $400 go begging.

9mmepiphany
January 30, 2011, 03:16 PM
I'll haul it out later and see it the camera battery is charged up...it is foggy outside so shadows shouldn't be a problem

I've never shot mine in SA, but it still has the DA capability (it even still has the hammer spur)...the rubber trigger stop built into the trigger keeps it from going that far back easily, but I did pull it back once to check

If you enjoyed reading about "Jim Hurst PPC gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!