Gun show buy : Did I score, or screw up ?

PDA

MIL-DOT
January 29, 2011, 07:42 PM
I've been on a revolver kick lately, and have been consulting "The Hive" pretty regularly lately.
I've been eye-balling a couple older Smiths on Gunbroker recently, but I went to an Eastman show locally today, and found a .357 model 66,4" ( one of the two guns I'm most interested in right now) for $525. The guy drops the price down to $480 ( which I know is still probably high), but the pistol is in VERY good condition,and if the lock-up was any tighter, it'd be a Python (seriously, I was surprised). The gas erosion on the top strap is almost non-existent, just some discoloration. I looked up the serial number, and it's a 1976.
On the down-side, it has Pachmayr presentation grips, not original wood grips, but I can get a set of S&W walnut target grips for $18 + S&H ( but do I want to? ).
Happy Saturday Night to all......Now,I'm going to build me another beverage !!!!:D

( Yes, the pistol in unloaded, and no ammo is nearby :neener:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun show buy : Did I score, or screw up ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Just One Shot
January 29, 2011, 07:52 PM
From what I've seen that's a fair price. Let us know how it shoots and be sure to post some pics when you get a chance.

savit260
January 29, 2011, 07:57 PM
Not a bargain price, but not a rip off either if it is real nice. I'd say that's a fair price in todays market.

SwampWolf
January 29, 2011, 08:44 PM
No need to smile or frown. A fair deal as the previous two posters opined. You've got a really nice revolver at a decent price. Enjoy!

orionengnr
January 29, 2011, 08:48 PM
IMHO, S&W revolvers today are what real estate was five years ago. That is to say, for the right revolver, you cannot pay too much, but you can buy too early. :)

The M66 is a great revolver. You will enjoy it for many years. Five years from now, that price will look like a bargain...and you will have had five years of enjoyment in the mean time.

KingMedicine
January 30, 2011, 12:16 AM
I think you did great. I just picked up a 66 with a 2.5 inch barrel for 400, plus it was a bit off time, so i had to do 30 bucks for the repair. So you did pretty darn good...

earlthegoat2
January 30, 2011, 12:25 AM
That is a nice buy,

whereabouts was this Eastman gun show?

ArchAngelCD
January 30, 2011, 01:36 AM
... and found a .357 model 66,4" ( one of the two guns I'm most interested in right now) for $525. The guy drops the price down to $480 ( which I know is still probably high), but the pistol is in VERY good condition,and if the lock-up was any tighter, it'd be a Python ...
If you're happy with the gun and can accept the price you can't get "ripped off" IMO. That said, like said above, that is a fair price in today's market, especially for a really nice gun like you're describing.

Enjoy it and where are the pictures???

azbvm
January 30, 2011, 01:37 AM
I too have been a revolver kick, as everyone said I think it was a fair buy, now enjoy the hell outta it.

MIL-DOT
January 30, 2011, 10:44 AM
Hey Earl, the Eastman show is down here in Columbus at the Iron Works.
Thanks for the replies,guys. I wasn't really worried much about what I paid, I was just thinking I probably paid a little on the high-side ( not complaining) and was just curious if I did, and by how much.
And sorry about not posting any pics, I'm lucky I even know how to check my e-mail LOL!!!! :D

DC3-CVN-72
January 30, 2011, 04:12 PM
Sounds good 2 me. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun show buy : Did I score, or screw up ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!