Does anyone conceal carry their single actions?

PDA

TheGent
January 29, 2011, 09:29 PM
If so, how? I'm a big fan of cowboy guns and can shoot at average speed. I carry a Ruger New Vaquero (5.50" Barrel) in a shoulder rig. Just wondering if there are others who carry SA pistols and what your methods are.

TheGent

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone conceal carry their single actions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
eqlzr
January 29, 2011, 10:32 PM
OK, I'll bite. What kinda shoulder rig do you carry your Vaquero in (pic?)?

Black Knight
January 29, 2011, 10:41 PM
During the winter months when its cold here I have carried my Ruger Vaquero (5 1/2" barrel) in 44 Magnum. I have a Hunter brand belt holster and a Mernickle PS6-SA holster for it. With a winter coat it doesn't show at all. The Vaquero is my "fun" gun and I carry it just for fun but know that it will do what I need when the time comes.

TheGent
January 29, 2011, 10:45 PM
Nothin' fancy or worth taking pics of, but it's an Uncle Mikes. The same one I use to carry my S&W 10 M&P 4" Barrel. The Vaq. ride just a little higher in the holster, but it doesn't go anywhere. It's a vertical shoulder holster rig.

VA27
January 29, 2011, 11:12 PM
Years ago, I traded for a Colt SAA 4 3/4". I carried it IWB, no holster. Just open the loading gate and stuff it in my pants. I was showing it to the assistant chief of my department and asked him, "If I can qualify with it, can I carry it?". There was a long pause while he considered it and then he said, "NO! Because you probably can qualify with it, or you wouldn't have asked me!":D

CraigC
January 29, 2011, 11:53 PM
Yep, all the time, in a Mernickle PS6.

azbvm
January 30, 2011, 01:39 AM
I have carried my Blackhawk before, mainly just as open carry as I love the darn thing.

Oyeboten
January 30, 2011, 03:21 AM
I have carried my 'Uberti' Remington .44 Cap & Ball in CCW mode a few times.

I just did the 'Mexican Carry' mode, 10:30 IWB in my waistband of my pants, and, had a Sweater pulled down over the Hilt.

Was perfectly fine there all day, but, you kind of have to finesse it a little in a discrete way, when sitting down or it can get objectionable.

Carried the WALKER for a day CCW, it's big, but, it went alright.

USBP1969
January 30, 2011, 11:27 AM
Mernickle PS6SA for belt carry. http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps6sar8.html

SafePacker for low profile (any weather) carry. http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=catalog&parent=171&pg=1

I carry a Safepacker 16 hours+ per day using their 1 1/2" shoulder strap hung over my off side shoulder.

kw

pmeisel
January 30, 2011, 11:53 AM
IWB with the loading gate, a couple times when that was the gun I had close and thought it would be a good idea to keep it handy.

savit260
January 30, 2011, 01:31 PM
Sometimes I carry this .45 Blackhawk in a modified/converted Simply Rugged Pancake holster with "inside out" straps for IWB carry.
It rides high and tight, and isn't nearly as hard to conceal as you might think.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/savit260/Picture040-3.jpg

TheGent
January 30, 2011, 01:47 PM
I was looking at those Mernickle Holsters that everyone has been mentioning. Very cool! While browsing through the local outdoor store today I found a Tagua for a S&W N Frame that fits the Vaquero 5.50" perfectly. $40 + tax. Not a bad deal. Still might spend the cash for that Mernickle though. Thanks for all the comments and sharing your thoughts. I get faster access with the shoulder holster though. I will need to practice with the Tagua and get that leather nice and broken in.

PRM
January 30, 2011, 02:06 PM
Colt 3rd Generation SAA
El Paso Saddlery Crosshair

Buck Snort
January 30, 2011, 03:25 PM
I've ordered a USFA 4" Double Eagle and I'm think'n that'd be a nice CCW gun, but I'd definitely have a BUG onnacounta as how reloading the SA revolver is a painfully slow process in the midst of a gunfight!

W.E.G.
January 30, 2011, 03:32 PM
.32 Magnum Single-Six

Strong-side or cross-draw option.

Triple-K Lightning two-way holster.

http://www.cowboyneeds.com/440.html

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/DSCN6606leftside-smaller.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/holsters/triplekholster1.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/holsters/triplekholster2.jpg

ArmedLiberal
January 30, 2011, 07:00 PM
For those who carry single-action as their usual SD gun....

Are there any tricks, tips and techniques for rapidly reloading single action?

Steven King's Gunslinger, Roland seems to be able to reload very quickly, but I don't recall a description of how this might be best accomplished.

Thanks

Burt Blade
January 30, 2011, 07:39 PM
Tuff "Quick Strips" are the "speedloader" for single-action revolvers. I have used them, and they work well with sufficient practice.

https://www.tuffproducts.com/home.php?cat=265

Dillon also carries them.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25638/catid/24/Tuff_QuickStrips

General tactical reload process for a single-action is: eject one, load one, repeat until fully loaded. (with or without a strip)

If you need a really fast one-round Vaquero reload, then eject one, load one, click through four chambers, close gate, cock hammer, fire. repeat.

They also are a useful way to carry spares for a J-frame S&W. Not as fast as a speeloader, but they do work.

mmitch
January 30, 2011, 07:49 PM
The only time I carry my old model vaquero 45 colt is in a cross-draw holster on long driving trips. It's out of the way unless I have occasion to need it.

Mike

Sistema1927
January 30, 2011, 08:39 PM
I also sometimes carry a Vaquero Sheriff model .45 in a cross draw Sourdough pancake when traveling. Since I am left handed it rides just above the seat belt buckle and is very easy to access with either hand.

goodtime
January 30, 2011, 08:54 PM
Beretta Marshall 3.5" 45 Colt IWB, on the belly. Only when out of state, though, because within IL I'm relegated to department regulations which allow autoloaders only. Outside IL, I can carry while not under the auspices of my department.

fcthompson
January 30, 2011, 08:58 PM
I carry my Commander .45. If my front jeans pocket is deep enough, less than 1" of the butt sticks out and a jacket can cover that. It fits nicely in all jacket pockets as well.

sixgunner455
January 30, 2011, 10:04 PM
Isn't the Commander a 1911? :D We're talking thumb-busters, here!

CraigC
January 30, 2011, 11:18 PM
Well, it 'is' a single action. ;)

Lucky Derby
January 31, 2011, 09:36 PM
For those who carry single-action as their usual SD gun....

Are there any tricks, tips and techniques for rapidly reloading single action?

Steven King's Gunslinger, Roland seems to be able to reload very quickly, but I don't recall a description of how this might be best accomplished.

Thanks
Yes, carry a second gun.

slicksleeve
January 31, 2011, 09:59 PM
The only single action I own is a Ruger Single Six, and it stays at my Dad's place. That said, if I owned a centerfire single action, in say, .38 special, .357, .41, or .44 mag, ect, I probably would conceal carry it every now and then. I sometimes carry a Smith and Wesson Hand Eject in 32-20, it fits right into a K-frame holster. I bet there ain't many folks totin' that under an untucked shirt.

eqlzr
January 31, 2011, 10:20 PM
Any pix (more pix) of SA revolvers in shoulder holster rigs? I'm looking for a good shoulder holster for a SA revolver with a 5.5 inch barrel.

1911Tuner
February 1, 2011, 05:48 AM
Out here in the sticks/around the homestead or for a trot down to the country store, I carry a New Vaquero .45 tucked into the front waistband at a shallow angle crossdraw style.

As for reloading...feh. I figger that if I'm alive long enough to fire six rounds, I'll have all the time in the world to reload.

ironhead7544
February 1, 2011, 04:17 PM
For a 44 Mag/Spl a 44 Dessert Eagle mag will work for a kind of quick reload.

aryfrosty
February 1, 2011, 09:04 PM
Mine is a stainless Vaquero Birdshead .45C in Mernickle leather. As for reloading "slow is smooth and smooth is fast." Or like the person said above..."carry another gun..."

Sher Khan
February 1, 2011, 09:14 PM
I don't have one (yet) but I like the looks of the Ted Blocker CC1 holster

http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/product.cfm?pi=5C89D10E-0FB8-C3D9-74D157928572DFB9

for my Vaquero 4 3/4". I have a right shoulder problem and prefer cross-draw carry. I am hoping I will get this holster for Valentine's Day...

rogertc1
February 2, 2011, 06:19 AM
My 3 3/4" birds head vaquero in my Simply rugged pancake.

fcthompson
February 2, 2011, 06:26 AM
Yes. My Colt Commander .45, when in my jeans front pocket barely sticks out about 1". I can fix that with a jacket hanging over the butt.

dogngun
February 2, 2011, 08:23 AM
something else that I cut down to let the front sight come free easily...I carried 4 and whatever barreled versions, one in .357 magnum and later Ruger old Vaquero in .45 ACP.

If you are very familiar with a SA revolver and can really shoot if accurately, go for it.
Only 5 fast shots, but if you do it well, you won't need more unless you are in a war.

mark

shane justice
February 2, 2011, 10:31 PM
A gentleman I used to work with, has been handling SA handguns his whole life. He also was an active SAAS member for a number of years.

I would not count him out in any armed encounter he was faced with while he is carrying a SA handgun.

The point being competence and skill become the deciding factor. If you have trained. I am not talking aobut plinking at beer bottles every so often. I am talking aobut serious handgun training which involves lots and lots of reloading drills. (BTW-this is the same advice I give to anybody regardless of the kind of firearm they want to use.)

If one undertakes the work seriously, he become serious. Then the tool becomes inconsequential.

But for God's sake, purchase a good piece of leather from a reputable holster maker. Wearing crap makes you a BIG target for the BAD GUYS looking for a free gun. And they won't come one at a time. They will box you in and get your weapon regardless of your competence level.

Please guys, I hope that you realize while carrying a concealed handgun the handgun has to be absolutely concealed. NO printing, no tells or bunny rubs.
All this will do is telegraph what you are and what you have.

OK I am done preaching.

Shane

CraigC
February 2, 2011, 11:02 PM
Great post, Shane!

ExMachina
February 2, 2011, 11:39 PM
is the question really what gun-type you can shoot best, or whether or not you can shoot a particular type well? i know that a lot of SASS shooters are really good with a single action, but i would bet that most of them could put more rounds on target faster with a DA-revolver or a semi-auto. in fact, isn't the desire to exclude the advantage afforded by modern guns a primary reason why the SASS started?

it seems like the decision really boils down to how at risk you feel you are. law enforcement and military in the line of fire don't pick a SA revolver (i'm sure someone will find an exception), and even the iconic General Patton who carried revolvers more for show than for combat, hedged his bets with the DA S&W.

don't get me wrong--i really like the idea of carrying around a hogleg and i'm sure most of us would never be UNDER-gunned w/ a SA sixgun. however, i know that i would be "better-gunned" with something else, and that makes the decision a very easy one for me.

CraigC
February 3, 2011, 10:31 AM
...i would bet that most of them could put more rounds on target faster with a DA-revolver or a semi-auto.
You really put that little importance on familiarity with a specific platform? I'm sure I could dribble more bullets out the barrel with a Glock but that does not indicate proficiency. IMHO, skill with your particular weapon is FAR more important than the weapon's type.

ExMachina
February 3, 2011, 11:17 AM
You really put that little importance on familiarity with a specific platform? I'm sure I could dribble more bullets out the barrel with a Glock but that does not indicate proficiency. IMHO, skill with your particular weapon is FAR more important than the weapon's type.

well, we could conduct an experiment: go to an SASS even an have all competetors shoot the pistol stages with both their stock gun and then again with a semi-auto. my bet (and yes, i am only speculating) is that the time averages for the semi-autos--even in the hands of these very proficient single action shooters--will be better.

Wedge
February 3, 2011, 11:24 AM
yes. shoulder holster or hip holster (under a parka). only as a woods gun though.

swcr
February 3, 2011, 01:19 PM
I love SA revolvers but have always open carried them while hunting or working. My everyday carry gun is a S&W M60. That being said I did have a request from a customer last month for a high ride pancake holster with thumb break for his 4 5/8" Blackhawk. This is what I came up with.

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv114/etsoppe/RugerBlackhawk4625OWB1withthumbbreak.jpg

CraigC
February 3, 2011, 01:44 PM
well, we could conduct an experiment: go to an SASS even an have all competetors shoot the pistol stages with both their stock gun and then again with a semi-auto. my bet (and yes, i am only speculating) is that the time averages for the semi-autos--even in the hands of these very proficient single action shooters--will be better.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Proficiency is the key and you are completely disregarding it in favor of platform. By your logic, proficiency with one handgun is proficiency with all and it just doesn't work that way. That's why we train with one specific firearm or at least one particular platform, to build skill with that platform. I'm a perfect example of this. For years, I was limited to public ranges and could only go every so often. So when I went, I took several guns and shot them all a little. For the most part, I was mostly just making noise. I found that by focusing on one gun or platform at a time but shooting it several times a week and with deliberation, my skill with that platform increased exponentially. By your logic I could spend a year shooting strictly 1911's and then pick up a Glock and shoot and manipulate it just as well. It's simply not true.

Not to even mention that the single action revolver is unlike any other. It has its own feel and its own set of challenges to operate with any speed and/or proficiency. It is folly to believe that proficiency with the single action will directly translate to anything else, let alone an automatic.

Old Fuff
February 3, 2011, 02:08 PM
I know a few people who have had experience of being shot at, and shooting back - that might agree with you, so far as single action revolvers being a practical weapon.

But only for the first five (maybe six) shots. After that....

Perhaps that's why only one of them carried a thumb-buster as a regular CCW choice. Now for other less dangerous purposes... well that's different.

Take the Texas Rangers for example. As late as the tail-end 1950's a few still carried Colt Single Actions - mostly for show, but 1911 Government Model pistols and .38/44 S&W Heavy Duty revolvers were more common by then, ocasionally carried in pairs. Today the Old Colt's are just for show. This after all is the 21st Century.

Snubshooter
February 3, 2011, 07:26 PM
Both Gunsite and Thunder Ranch have classes for CCW of single action revolvers. They developed these classes to create modern answers to old tech. I've watched people go through the live fire house with single actions using the "new ,old" doctrines, It can be done, is it the BEST choice ? I don't think so, But if it's what you have then use it. Practice alot and be REALLY proficiant with whatever weapon you carry.135608

the foot
February 3, 2011, 08:33 PM
I am very proficient with my single action revolver because I practice regularly with a lot of rounds downrange. But I also practice with my carry guns. My single action expertise would suffice in some situations (home defense for example) but if I need to get a lot of bullets accurately on a target right now, I would not choose my old single action favorite.

goodtime
February 4, 2011, 01:02 AM
I can't speak for exMachina, but what I get from his posts is that he is asserting that, if apples are compared to apples, and oranges to oranges, the bottom feeders would provide a more formidable weapon to any given person if he trains with it. Of course, if a shooter practices to be a wizard with a single action revolver, like many shooters have done, he is a force to be reconed with. But, I think the point made above, with which I agree, is that if that same shooter, instead, trained with the same decication using a semiauto, he would be better armed in more situations than he would be as a shooter dedicated to single action revolver shooting.

Despite this, as I posted, I have, at times and places, opted to carry a single action revolver instead of my usual semiauto.

rogertc1
February 4, 2011, 06:55 AM
I Love Guns

ExMachina
February 4, 2011, 09:45 AM
I can't speak for exMachina, but what I get from his posts is that he is asserting that, if apples are compared to apples, and oranges to oranges, the bottom feeders would provide a more formidable weapon to any given person if he trains with it. Of course, if a shooter practices to be a wizard with a single action revolver, like many shooters have done, he is a force to be reconed with. But, I think the point made above, with which I agree, is that if that same shooter, instead, trained with the same decication using a semiauto, he would be better armed in more situations than he would be as a shooter dedicated to single action revolver shooting.

that's a fair summary. if a person is indeed a wizard w/ a SA then they'd be a fool to rely on anything else.

CraigC
February 4, 2011, 02:40 PM
...if that same shooter, instead, trained with the same decication using a semiauto, he would be better armed in more situations than he would be as a shooter dedicated to single action revolver shooting.
That pretty much goes without saying. My point is that there are those of us who have no desire to do as much shooting with what some would deem a more appropriate self defense weapon as we do our single actions. One very good reason is that the single action revolver can do it all. From plinking to long range shooting, woods bummin', hunting, self defense, etc. A Glock is a self defense weapon and nothing more. It's not a target pistol, it does not lend itself well to accurate shooting at longer ranges, it is not a hunting weapon and is no good for defense against anything bigger or meaner than a coyote or gangsta. So the question is, would I rather use something I am intimately familiar with or something that I am vaguely familiar with? Or practice with something that is nothing but a soulless tool? I think I know the answer. I'd rather tote a whoopin' than spend the amount of time I spend with single actions, with polymer autos.

However, they is not what ExMachina is saying. Or at least that is not what I gleaned from his posts. He is proposing that handing a veteran single action shooter an unfamiliar semi-automatic will result in better scores. He is dead wrong. Unless we're talking about slingshots, you are ALWAYS better off with a weapon you are intimately familiar with and can shoot, manipulate and reload without thinking.

dbriannelson
February 4, 2011, 03:27 PM
http://fotog.net/fotog2/handguns/R44S8-13-10.jpg

Once in awhile I carry this Forkin .44 with the 3 5/8" barrel on my right hip. It conceals nicely under a winter coat. But mostly I carry J-Frames or a Walther PPS.

-Don

goodtime
February 4, 2011, 05:04 PM
Well said, CraigC. I agree the single action revolver has a lot of soul, which the Glock is sorely lacking. That might be why I carry my single action revolver under the right circumstances, even though I'm no wizard with it. That's also why I referred to semiautos with the pejorative term "bottom feeders." I love single action revolvers. I own only two Glocks, one for duty, and one for off-duty, but I own several single action revolvers. The guns on my wish list are single action revolvers, too. I'm not sure I've even posted on this site under the Semiauto heading.

TheGent
February 6, 2011, 12:17 PM
Great responses and pics! I was finally able to catch up with this thread today. Great points CraigC. I wholeheartedly agree with you. I was talking to a police officer the other day and he made a eye opening point about revolvers in general using the following story:

"You're on your way to work on a Monday morning. While on your way to work you have to choose one of two people you have to defend yourself against. The first man has a Glock 17 with a thirty round mag extension. The second man has a 5-shot Taurus snub nose revolver. Which would you chose? Most would chose to defend themselves against the man with the Taurus. Now what if I told you that the man with the Glock is just a weekend warrior who just has what he has because everyone else has one and probably might hit his target twice out of those thirty rounds. Now the man with the Taurus is an ex Navy Seal specialized in firearms training. Which would you choose?"

A valid point coming from a man with 20 years experience in the field. He also trains new recruits in firearms tactics. The moral of the story: Make your first shot the last shot. A SA can do just that. I have had all manner of firearms that I have shot. But, I am best with revolvers and now with SA revolvers. In fact, I was practicing my drawing last night with my Vaquero. So I use what I have experience with and what works for me. There is something about my grip being behind that trigger guard instead of under it like an auto that feels right.

SharpsDressedMan
February 6, 2011, 01:06 PM
My .44 Special Flattop can be carried in this Sparks HSR. I ordered the crossdraw for mostly field use, but the holster can be ordered stright drop or "FBI" cant for concealed use. Hard to find a better holster with less bulk. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05498.jpg

TheGent
February 6, 2011, 01:08 PM
May I ask where you got those grips, SharpsDressedMan?

PRM
February 6, 2011, 01:55 PM
One of the guns I always regretted selling was a single action New Model # 3 S&W (original) in 44 Russian. Had two barrels, one 6.5 inch and another 4 inch that were both serialized to the gun. It was in 98% condition ~ AAGH, in a moment of weakness, I was offered three times what I had in it and let it go.

Model 29 Speed loaders worked perfect in this gun and it was a gem as far as shooting, accuracy and speed of reloading.

Today, I own a couple of Colt SA revolvers and on the days I want to carry one ~ I never have felt under gunned. Its all about choices ~ if your comfortable with an SAA, carry it.

SharpsDressedMan
February 6, 2011, 04:58 PM
They were plain mesquite grips from a maker on ebay, and Kirk Ratajesak carved them for me. He is top notch, and his prices have gotten to be at the top of the heap, too. I am fortunate to have two example of his work, but I'm not sure how many more I can afford.:o I do not know of anyone regularly making AND carving single action grips, but most carvers will take them on if you supply them. There are two or three excellent makers of single actions grips for Rugers and others, but their contact info is eluding me at the moment. If I find my contacts, I'll post them. Prices on carving reflect the skill level of the carver, depth, medium to be carved, and extent of the carving on the piece. Much like engraving.

Vigilantis
February 6, 2011, 11:29 PM
I've only had my Blackhawk for a few days, but I do intend to use it for ccw eventually. I'm looking at a Tom Threepersons holster from El Paso Saddlery. I traded off my Beretta 96 to buy the Blackhawk in 45 Colt for one of the reasons listed here by CraigC, namely that the single action can do it all. My Beretta was an excellent home defense weapon and a nice range toy, but it wasn't much use out in the woods, and it was impossible for me to conceal effectively. The 45 caliber Blackhawk will easily stop an intruder and most wild animals, and it's plenty accurate for fun at the range.

I've heard a lot of talk about how you're going to be in trouble if you need more than six shots, but isn't that the case with any gun? If you're carrying a Glock 17 and find yourself in a serious social situation, and you haven't resolved it with the first six shots, it's likely you'll be too dead to utilize your remaining ammunition.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone conceal carry their single actions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!