CZ for IDPA

PDA

txgunsuscg
January 29, 2011, 10:46 PM
Thinking of starting IDPA (actually applied for membership today). Have a number of guns I could choose from, but I really want to use a CZ. My favorite guns are 1911s and CZs, but the 1911 is a little more expensive to shoot, and I love the ergonomics and how controllable the CZ is.

My debate is which gun to use. I would prefer not to spend over $600, at least initially, which leaves me with two options, the 85 Combat or the 75 SA. Both have drop free mags (kind of a key thing with CZs), and trigger overtravel adjustment. Anyone have experience with either that can advise?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ for IDPA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
January 29, 2011, 10:58 PM
The two freinds who I know shooting a CZ, or clone, are shooting the P01 and the AR-24. they have the DA trigger pulls down around 6.5lbs and glass smooth actions.

Just something to consider, going with a SAO gun will move you from SSP to ESP...if it makes a difference to you

txgunsuscg
January 29, 2011, 11:02 PM
I actually plan on using the AR-24 to shoot my classification match if all goes according to plan. The main reason I liked the CZ is the overtravel adjustment, and the ability to get aftermarket stuff much easier than with the Armalite (CZ custom shop, mags from several retailers, holsters more common, etc).

9mmepiphany
January 29, 2011, 11:23 PM
Give Bruce Gray a call www.GrayGuns.com (GGI) and ask him what he is using for his AR-24.

He used to shoot for H&K and Sig and went to the AR because it was easier on his joints. He has a lot of experience modding the platform from the USPSA days when they were shooting 9mm Major out of Springfield P9s.

He was planning on shooting the Bianchi Cup this year, but I'm not sure which platform he is going to use

Tell him I sent you...he'll know my user name

59Bassman
January 30, 2011, 07:42 AM
What do you want to shoot in IDPA? If you want to shoot SSP (Stock Service Pistol), you have to start with the hammer down. If you want to shoot ESP (Enhanced Service Pistol), you can start with the hammer cocked.

The 85 Combat will allow you to shoot in either. The 75 SA will limit you to ESP, if I am remembering correctly.

I would have bought the 85 Combat except I prefer the beavertail like the 75 SA has. So I "splurged" and bought a new 75 Shadow. Great gun except it has not been approved for IDPA or USPSA Production yet.

txgunsuscg
January 30, 2011, 02:19 PM
I had planned on shooting ESP, actually, so either gun would fit the bill. 9mmepiphany, do you know if any CZ stuff will fit the AR-24? Mostly sights, mags, and grips. The sights are dovetail, so I guess theoretically, a good gunsmith could make a generic dovetail set work...

9mmepiphany
January 30, 2011, 04:00 PM
You'd actually be better off looking at stuff made for the EAA and TZ Italian stuff...EAA offers a lot of race parts for the platform.

Roy at GGI has made a beautiful rear sight for the CZ...sort of a 10-8 look to it. But the AR might be a larger problem due to it's raised rear sight mounting...a la Sig 210

txgunsuscg
January 30, 2011, 05:46 PM
Yeah, I found an EAA Witness Match that has a lot of the features of the CZs I was looking at. BTW, is the Armalite the only clone of this group that the safety does not lock the slide, or do the EAAs follow that as well? I know the safety on the CZ locks the slide ala 1911 and Hi-Power.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ for IDPA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!