buying a handgun on layaway in michigan

PDA

Gambit88
January 29, 2011, 09:56 PM
Do I need to get the purchase permit when I put it on layaway, when I pick it up or both? I can't seem to find a answer. I would assume when you make the initial purchase but am unsure and I couldn't find it on the .gov page. I know this is a dumb question but this is my first handgun purchase and I want to make sure I'm educated on the matter

Thanks

Gambit

If you enjoyed reading about "buying a handgun on layaway in michigan" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
earlthegoat2
January 29, 2011, 09:59 PM
only when you pick it up

oh yeah, im in GA now but I worked at a gun shop in MI less than 2 years ago. Nothing has changed since then.

Jim K
January 29, 2011, 10:10 PM
I have no dog in this hunt, but can't help wondering why the dealer doesn't know that kind of thing.

Jim

earlthegoat2
January 29, 2011, 10:17 PM
Purchase permits have a date box. Putting something on layaway is not purchasing. The day you initially fill out the 4473 is the date of purchase and as such is the day that requires the purchase permit.

medalguy
January 29, 2011, 10:58 PM
I agree. What happens if you put a gun on layaway, the dealer does the 4473 or permit, and you fail to buy it out. Who owns the gun and how would a dealer handle that problem?

Kaeto
January 31, 2011, 09:47 AM
The 4473 is not filled out until you make the final payment and pickup the handgun.

If you enjoyed reading about "buying a handgun on layaway in michigan" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!