Bump Fire Stock

PDA

SkinnyGrey
January 30, 2011, 02:33 AM
Can anyone tell me about the bump fire stock?

Is it legal for anyone to own?

Would it be legal in CT?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U6tORrODJE

If you enjoyed reading about "Bump Fire Stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sv51macross
January 30, 2011, 02:38 AM
Assuming you don't have a bayonet lug or FS, I see not why it would violate a AWB.

But with 10-round mags...why would you want one?

SkinnyGrey
January 30, 2011, 02:46 AM
would you only legally be able to use it with a ten round mag?

nwilliams
January 30, 2011, 02:49 AM
OK I've always thought bump firing was kinda silly because it just seems like just a waste of ammo but I have to say that thing is pretty nifty.

However for $300 it's not that cool.

451 Detonics
January 30, 2011, 06:41 AM
I just gotta wonder if it would function well with a .22 such as the S&W 1522

M-Cameron
January 30, 2011, 08:57 AM
i see no reason why this wouldnt be legal......

law says only one bullet per trigger pull......never says how fast you can pull the trigger.....this is no different than being able to pull the trigger really fast.

just so long as you follow the standard rifle laws in your state...you should be fine.

bigfatdave
January 30, 2011, 09:00 AM
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
(except bumpfire stocks)

ultradoc
January 30, 2011, 09:15 AM
Humm. Interesting. Don't know but I think alot of ranges would frown on this IMO.

Carl N. Brown
January 30, 2011, 09:32 AM
Some ranges' insurance companies frown on simulated full-auto, full-auto or (get this) semi-auto with a select fire weapon. Some ranges if you can't get insurance, you cannot stay open.

Scenario this: A Beretta Model 38 submachinegun set up for the 9mm M38 (An Italian +P+ version of 9mm Parabellum) can "run away" with 9mm Glisenti: the lighter load will not blow the bolt back far enough to catch on the sear, but will eject, feed and fire until the magazine is empty like the infamous "sputter gun" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputter_Gun .

Some insurance companies see all full autos as potential run-aways, even on semi-auto. They also see simulated full-auto (bump fire, "Hellfire switch", etc) as potential uncontrolled unaimed fire situations with a potential of collateral damage.

jmorris
January 30, 2011, 09:58 AM
If it works the ATF will call it a machine gun. Google atkins accelerator or AW Sim to look at once legal bump fire devices they have decided are now machine guns after they approved them

hounddog
January 30, 2011, 11:03 AM
Just got one in last week to play with. Shipping was fast, problem free. Ordered on Sunday, here by Thursday. Sent US mail. Instructions are easy to follow. Very simple and elegant design. Went out in blizzard and shot 70 rds through it. It works quite well. 3-4 round bursts very easy to pull off and controllable. Had it on a bushmaster m4gery. I felt with a drop down forward grip, would have been easier to handle and operate. Will not work with a 22. Not enough recoil to do what it needs to do. Will the ATF eventually outlaw it? Who knows what logic the ATF is using or going to use. I am pretty sure there is no logic. But, if you want to play with a full auto-esque gun, without spending 13-20k on a real one, or joing the military, it is a pretty good option for an m16 like experience that at present time is legal.

My choice of weapons are not always based on utility. Alot of them are about uniqueness and fun toys. This is a fun toy. The guy who designed this is also working on an AK version. That should be another fun toy.

If the ATF does declare them machine guns, the rear pin holding the stock to the buffer tube could be pinned, or space behind buffer tube filled in, making it no longer functional. But another 300 stock to add to your collection.

jmorris
January 30, 2011, 12:39 PM
For those interested in one, there is a dealer setting up a group buy on uzitalk.

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=501523#post501523

ceetee
January 30, 2011, 03:36 PM
If it works the ATF will call it a machine gun. Google atkins accelerator or AW Sim to look at once legal bump fire devices they have decided are now machine guns after they approved them

The only part of the Akins stock that was outlawed was the spring. All purchasers were supposed to mail in their springs or face charges. I can't see how this stock is too much different than an Akins without the spring.

wally
January 30, 2011, 04:01 PM
I saw one at the last HGCA gun show, appeared well made. The price is high, but its 1/10th the price of the cheapest actual full auto you can find, and only $100 more that the price of your tax stamp for an SBR or a can.

IMHO If you don't have a place to shoot full auto, no point in buying one of these. I might get one, would be a lot of fun on the 9mm Carbine I have SBR paperwork in the pipeline. Shooting 9mm reloads with such a thing would be no more wasteful than setting off firecrackers when you get down to it.

SkinnyGrey
February 3, 2011, 03:36 AM
would i not be legally able to use it with a 30 rnd magazine?

ceetee
February 3, 2011, 10:52 AM
Are 30 round magazines legal to own where you are?

ball3006
February 3, 2011, 11:00 AM
My neighbor has one. It works great. It is as close to aimed bump fire as you can get. It is expensive and I doubt if I would get one if I had an AR.....chris3

rwhankla
May 6, 2011, 12:40 AM
I know this is an old post, but here are the answers.

I went to the range Saturday with a friend who had one on his AR-15. It actually came with a letter from BATFE stating it as legal. It's amazingly easy to use. It took us both about 15 rounds to figure it out. It really will unload an entire 30 round magazine in a single "bump". It's definately cool and a lot cheaper than owning a real fully automatic rifle. However, 30 rounds in 1.5 seconds is a bit too rich for me.

Ryan

Good&Fruity
May 6, 2011, 01:09 AM
Hmmm...while $300 is a ridiculous price, I can certainly afford it. My only thought is as to how long this will remain legal, and what happens if it is outlawed. Would owners be grandfathered in? Have to send them in, losing their "investment" in the process?

larryflew
May 6, 2011, 02:14 PM
Depending on state law it may not be legal where you are. Minnesota it isn't legal for instance.

"The following persons may own or possess a machine gun or machine gun conversion kit or trigger activating device increasing the rate of fire to that of a machine gun or a shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches or an overall length of less than 26 inches:"

Warden, Police etc are on the list but no regular pesons.

ball3006
May 6, 2011, 02:58 PM
Your finger activates the trigger on these, not the stock....chris3

Frogomatik
May 6, 2011, 07:47 PM
I can afford $300 for a simulated happy switch, hell I've blown more money on dumber stuff.

Robert
May 6, 2011, 08:01 PM
Not saying that it would not be fun. But I would never spend that kind of money for something that will make my rifle less accurate. I guess I just don't get it. If it is your thing then that is fine, it is just not mine cup of tea.

Clark
May 6, 2011, 10:18 PM
I am 60 years old and buying single shots.

When I was 14 I shot a belt fed M60 and that was exiting for a kid.

Now I am old, and like to aim.

DoubleTapDrew
May 6, 2011, 10:53 PM
I like accuracy and hitting your target as well. That said, it's fun to (just once in a while) make a lot of noise and rattle off rounds at the cyclic rate of the gun for a magazine or two.
I'll be surprised if this doesn't get banned by the ATF like the atkins stock did. Everytime someone finds some sort of full auto "loophole" they close it.

bigmike45
May 8, 2011, 08:10 PM
What I like about it is you don't have to run full autoish with it. It can be controled to 1, 2 and 3 round bursts with a little practice. I have had fun bumpfiring from the hip with my SKS and cheap ammo from time to time. Of course any kind of accuracy was impossible and you really understood the phrase "pray and spray". I had the opportunity to shoot a friends AR with one installed. I brought five 30 round magazines to play with and play I did. The first three went fast and dang it was fun but what was so great I could actually aim while shooting and group very well. Then I tried the selective 1, 2 and 3 round fire but the best I could get was 4 or 5. Still I enjoyed the session and I need much more practice :D. Instead of buying one I will just use my buddies from time to time.......and conserve my ammo!!!:o

janobles14
June 19, 2011, 12:13 AM
gonna revive this one again!

i bought one of these on a windfall whim and (for now) i am THRILLED that i did! i havent had this much fun with a gadget in a looooong time. at 50 yards i was able to get 6 inch groups out of a 3 or 4 round burst. pretty good if i do say so! some make think it is silly to spend $300 on something like this but, like i said, I am happy with it!

if anyone, for some reason, needed my affirmation then you have it. if you want a fun toy that may actually have "real world" application (read loosely). then this might be for you!

mdThanatos
June 19, 2011, 01:39 PM
It's been compared before but I just have this strange feeling that the ATF will change their mind like they did with the Akins Accelerator. Maybe in a few years if it is still legal I might try one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bump Fire Stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!