Webley bulldog

PDA

pesty3782
January 31, 2011, 11:47 PM
I have a Webley bulldog marked 1902 on the right side, a proof marking the 90 below that, but on the top strap is says "Washington Central" On a colt there would be a loading gate you pull aside to place the rounds in the cylinder, but this gun just has a half moon opening where the round would be pushed in.

Any help on this gun would be appreciated and value.

Tony P.

If you enjoyed reading about "Webley bulldog" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XTrooper
February 1, 2011, 06:45 AM
Washington Central Railroad. It was undoubtedly a railroad police revolver.

How about some photos?

dnovo
February 1, 2011, 09:24 AM
The Webley Bulldog and the many clones, mostly built in Begium were the common clay of cheap self defense weapons from the 1870s through the turn of the last century. Custer carried one at the Little Bighorn. They were initially designed for black powder loads, with later models proofed for smokeless. (Check the proofs on yours before shooting.). Webley sold them in their last iteration (the RIC 83) through the 1930s! Have fun. Dave

pesty3782
February 1, 2011, 12:47 PM
Photos r up

Tony P.

cane
February 1, 2011, 06:19 PM
While it may be a "Bull dog", it's not a Webley. The proof mark is as best I can tell Belgian.
What caliber is it? Probably .38 or .32, doesn't look big enough for a .44.
Some authorities do believe that Custer used a Webley at the Little Big Horn, but it was a Royal Irish Constabulary model which is considerably larger than a Bull Dog.

dnovo
February 1, 2011, 06:37 PM
Now that pictures are up, I agree with Cane. I can't tell for sure what it is, but it sure ain't a Webley. He is also correct as to Custer's gun. Dave

Oyeboten
February 1, 2011, 08:23 PM
Appears to be a Belgian rendition/emulation...and, not a 'WEBLEY' as such.

Totally cool regardless...and interesting.

Is it a .38 S&W Chambering? Or..?

I like those little Revolvers a lot, whether English or Belgian.

Lots of people had and or carried them here in the US in those days, too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Webley bulldog" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!