February Rimfire Match:

PDA

Maverick223
February 1, 2011, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the February Rimfire Match! The match is open to any and EVERY 22 caliber (as well as 17 and 20 caliber) rimfire rifle including the perennial favorite .22LR, as well as the .22Short, .22Long, .22 Mag., .17HM2, .17HMR, and 5mm Rem RF Mag (as well as any oddball rimfires that you might have). This match is meant to be challenging and educational, but most of all FUN. Hopefully it will get you out to the range and shooting your rifle. If you have one handy, make sure an bring a friend too.

Multiple submissions are allowed (in same or different division/class with same or different rifles).

There is Two Optics Divisions:
->Iron sights and non-magnified optics and red dots. Shot at 25yds.
->Scopes and other magnified sighting devices. Shot at 50yds.

There are Two Rifle Classes:
->Unlimited/Target Rifles (highly modified rifles, rests, target sights, high magnification optics- over 10x [in the appropriate division] may be used)
->Sporting Rifles (Includes All Non-Target Class Autoloaders, Bolt Actions, Single Shots, Pumps, & Lever Rifles)

Target Class can be shot from any position, Sporting Class is shot from any position without a rest or sandbags. When you are satisfied you've done your best post (or shoot me a PM) a photo of your target scoring with the following information: Forum name or name you want posted in the results, Rifle, make, model, vintage (if known), Sights/Optics (with magnification if applicable), Ammo, Position, Distance, Conditions (in/outdoors, wind, temperature...).

25/50Yd. Target:
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/Feb2011Target.jpg

Scale to 100% on standard 8.5x11in. paper. Fire three shots at each bullseye, for a total of 12 shots. Scored as 1pt for breaking the line on the outside ring, 2 for doing likewise to the next ring, 3 for the innermost ring, 4 for breaking the center bullseye, and 5pts. for staying completely within the confines of the center bulls; for a total of 60 possible points.

Self-scoring is encouraged and appreciated. All submissions due before March 1st.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/zzz/rimfirematch.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "February Rimfire Match:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KSCCHTrainer
February 1, 2011, 04:30 PM
Mav, could you attach that target as a PDF file? I can't get it to print out properly off the post. Or, post a link to the site you got it from.

Thanks,

Jim

Maverick223
February 1, 2011, 04:54 PM
Here (http://www.egpworld.com/varmints/targets.htm) is a link to the site where I captured the rimfire target, as well as a few additional ones that some folks my find useful. Let me know if this doesn't help.

:)

P51D
February 1, 2011, 05:48 PM
Hi, Mav. When you print the target out, what is the diameter of that (tiny) bullseye? :D

P51D

Maverick223
February 1, 2011, 08:23 PM
Should be about 15/16in. In other words: a good bit bigger than last month's so I have a chance...just not a good one. :o

Virg461
February 1, 2011, 08:49 PM
Hmmm....

When I print this full page, the center bull is 15/16in. If I just click print without scaling it full page, then the bull is 11/16in, but then there is 2 inches of blank space on the right hand side, and 3 inches at the bottom.

Which way we doin' this here thang?

Maverick223
February 1, 2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah, it's full scale and oops, I meant 15/16in. (23mm)...mistake fixed. :o

Virg461
February 2, 2011, 03:32 PM
I guess I'll begin this month.

The nice thing about working in a home office is that lunch breaks can be taken in the back yard with a rifle.... I score this a 50.

Rifle was my 597 with Redfield scope on 9 power. Front sandbag. Wolf MT.

Definite POI shift on that last group. Strange. I'll try again when the wind dies down. It's gotten really windy here today.

Maverick223
February 2, 2011, 05:50 PM
Great showing, Virg! Thanks for getting us under way.

Windy here too, but it sure is purdy outside today.

SkyDaver
February 2, 2011, 11:35 PM
Nice shooting, Virg! That's a nice group on the bottom left. I work from a home office, but the neighbors would be a little upset if I started shooting in my back yard (not actually complaining, I knew the tradeoffs when we chose the small urban lot)

SkyDaver
February 2, 2011, 11:40 PM
Oh, and it surely was a beautiful NC day today!
and I'm an idiot; I should have done an edit of the previous. Get out of 'mailing list' thought process. Get into 'forum' thought process.

Maverick223
February 3, 2011, 02:08 AM
Welcome to the match, SkyDaver!

HOOfan_1
February 4, 2011, 04:32 PM
I am thinking nothing short of 60 is going to win it for the Optics division of target class.

I shot 7 targets today, I will post 3 of the best now and may come back and post the others. I ran out of targets or I may have actually been able to shoot a 60

Again all of these were shot with a CZ 452 Ultra-Lux 3-9x scope on 9x, CCI Blazer ammo. Front rest and rear sandbag Temp. 35F wind was maybe 10-15 mph gusts, mostly calm.

Target 1 Score: 55 8 of 12 shots all stayed in bulls-eye

Target 2 Score: 51 6 of 12 shots all stayed in bulls-eye

Target 3 Score: 49 6 of 12 shots all stayed in bulls-eye

HOOfan_1
February 4, 2011, 04:50 PM
Here is my open sights sporting class target. If I had done this last month I would have won by default because no one else shot without a rest :neener:

Score is pretty abysmal, but I was shooting with a plain old post and notch sight instead of an aperture and I could barely even see the FULL circles at 25 yards behind my front bead, I couldn't even make out the bulls-eye from 25 yards with my naked eye. Maybe I should have tried to outline the circles a bit.

Anyway, I shot 3 targets, I will only post my best.

Same weather conditions as above, except at 25 yards. I started out shooting standing up, then I sat down. No rest at all.
Ammo was CCI .22 CB shorts. That is all I am confident shooting in the gun.

The gun is a hand made German single shot, it probably isn't even 3 feet long. It was brought back by my Grandfather after WWII, so I have no idea how old it is. I know it is accurate if you can see your target.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2pyqnuo.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/fax2ev.jpg

Score is 23 1 shot in the bulls-eye, and only 2 shots missed completely

prid93
February 4, 2011, 06:40 PM
Going to get out tomorrow...getting away from college for the weekend (not that winter break was too long ago :rolleyes:). I'm finally going to get to shoot a match! Been wanting to since I came across THR but haven't been able to get out due to school/work.
One question: Is it ok to use a colored pencil or something similar to shade color into part of the target to make it easier to see with irons?

Maverick223
February 4, 2011, 06:56 PM
Well done, HOOfan_1, and using a family heirloom to boot (which appears to be in remarkably good condition for its age).

FWIW, I welcome all of you folks to include/attach a photo of your rifles with your submission...pictures are always welcome!

prid93, welcome to the match! You certainly can shade the target. As long as you can see the lines (for scoring purposes), you can do pretty much whatever you like to make it easier to see.

Virg461
February 4, 2011, 11:12 PM
Hoofan, that's a beautiful rifle. No idea what make, huh?

You have thrown down the gauntlet. I shall throw away my rest. But I may cheat and use a sling...:)

Maverick223
February 4, 2011, 11:18 PM
Here is my open sights sporting class target. If I had done this last month I would have won by default because no one else shot without a restNot really...I actually shot mine w/o a rest (was shot seated, with sling and elbow on the table [which is legal for the sporting class FWIW]); I just thew it into the target class b/c I would have been the only one to shoot in the sporting division, and there was only one submission for the target class (I figured it wasn't cheating if I unnecessarily put myself in a tougher class). That said, you probably would have beat me anyway.

HOOfan_1
February 4, 2011, 11:24 PM
Hoofan, that's a beautiful rifle. No idea what make, huh?

Not sure, I always figured it was a custom made gun by a gun smith.

It has an octagonal barrel, as you can see the receiver is color case hardened. As tiny as it is, it has a cheek piece too.

On top of the barrel it is marked Otto Bennewitz Kaiserslautern

prid93
February 5, 2011, 05:02 PM
Finally got out...but my stay was cut short by a snowstorm that should be dumping another 10 inches on northern NY today :banghead:. Got to shoot 2 targets before I was forced to leave by being blinded. I don't have a scanner so these pictures will have to do.

Savage Mk II FVT with Williams peep sights.
All targets shot at 25 yds with a wood block as a front rest.
CCI Mini-Mag ammo.

I scored the targets as 55 and 52. If anyone objects/wants to see a specific one closer up please say so because there are some borderline hits. I had to add those other targets :o as those were my best groups on the day, each is 5 shots.
I'm just glad to have gotten out! Thanks for the fun Mav.

Maverick223
February 5, 2011, 05:34 PM
Welcome and good shooting, prid93!

prid93
February 7, 2011, 02:26 AM
I'm now upset because I saw that Hoofan and Virg are not using rests with their irons, and I did...gives me an excuse to get back out and give it another go :D.

HOOfan_1
February 7, 2011, 01:09 PM
I'm now upset because I saw that Hoofan and Virg are not using rests with their irons, and I did...gives me an excuse to get back out and give it another go :D.

Yeah, but you smoked my score. I tried 1 target using a rest, but I found out without using an aperture sight, I had no hope of seeing the quarter sized bullseye at 25 yards (not sure I would with aperture sights either). So I figured I was just as well of shooting offhand as I was from a rest. I was amazed I even hit the ~6 inch circles considering I could barely even see them behind my sights.

Nematocyst
February 8, 2011, 09:00 PM
So great to see a rimfire match in Feb.

Can't participate. My rimfire (Marlin 39A) is in storage on the other side of the continent
after my move (six months ago; things here didn't go according to plan, still struggling).

But I'm in it in spirit.

Shoot true!

Maverick223
February 8, 2011, 09:05 PM
Welcome, Nematocyst; I hope things begin to turn around for you (IIRC you moved due to opening up a new business, right?) and you're able to shoot in the matches (this one and the Centerfire Match) sometime soon.

We're here to stay...join us next month if you can.

P51D
February 8, 2011, 09:13 PM
Greetings, all. This is another fun target. Here's an entry that I score as a 58. Shot with a CZ-452 from a bench with sandbags, 50 yds, Weaver 3-9 scope, SK Standard Plus ammo. Good shooting conditions, cold but calm. It's still early in the month, and I hope to get back to the range to see if I can eeekk out that last point or two. :D

P51D

Maverick223
February 8, 2011, 09:30 PM
Well done, P51D!

prid93
February 8, 2011, 10:26 PM
Wow, nice target there P51D. Some nice tight groups.

Maverick223
February 9, 2011, 12:10 AM
For those that may not know about it, here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=572704) is a link to the new-improved big boy counterpart to this match...krochus' Winter Centerfire Match. Check it out when you get the chance.

It is my hope that we will be running concurrent matches henceforward.

Jon_Snow
February 11, 2011, 03:09 PM
Here's my contribution for the month; looks like a 60 to me. Same rifle as always but with a new scope. 18x really makes the center bull look big. Just for fun I tried shooting one of these offhand, but it was so ugly I left the target at the range, plus I think the bull barrel disqualifies me from sporter class no matter how I shoot.

Savage Mark II
Nikon 6-18x40 Buckmaster
Shooting off a Harris Bipod
Wolf Match ammo
at 50 yards

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/893/feb2011rimfire.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/i/feb2011rimfire.jpg/)

Maverick223
February 11, 2011, 08:49 PM
Well done, Jon...you aced it(*)!

*That means I have to make next month's more difficult! :evil:

P51D
February 11, 2011, 09:03 PM
Excellent shooting, Jon!

P51D

utbrowningman
February 12, 2011, 09:18 PM
Sporting rifle
Iron sights
25 yards, sitting

February 12
55*, no wind, clear skies
Marlin Model 80E ca. 1936
CCI Mini-Mag .22 LR HP, 36 gr.

50 points (corrected score)

http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/44719/2526575100039497495S425x425Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/47800/2579515500039497495S425x425Q85.jpg

Maverick223
February 12, 2011, 10:08 PM
Welcome, and a very nice showing, utbrowningman!

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears to be a 50 or so from where I sit (you have the best view, but it looks like you nicked the outside of the center bulls on a couple shots). Either way, that is very good shooting for the sporting division!

utbrowningman
February 12, 2011, 10:18 PM
You are correct. I checked again with a live round and 2 and 4 each have one that is a 4 and not a 5. Score corrected to 50.

About the gun...this was my grandfather's and the first gun I ever shot, probably back in 1978, or so when I was 7. Since he passed away several years ago, I received several of his guns and hope to get a few more that my dad currently has. It has always been an accurate rifle and I love the peep sight.

Maverick223
February 12, 2011, 10:40 PM
Thank you for your honesty.

It is good to see a heirloom rifle that is cared for but still used as intended. I have a couple rimfire rifles that were my grandparents as well (one from each side of the family), one is used in the match fairly consistently (the other one still gets used from time to time, but isn't the most accurate rifle in the stable).

Heavies
February 13, 2011, 12:05 AM
Here is my submissions.
Weather was awful today, windy, switchy, and raining. But, at least I am not freezing my butt off, like many of you folks out there.
First is my target/optic class.

Savage MKII BV in a tacticool stock.
Wolf MT ammo
Wind calm to 15, gusting to 20mph and switchy
50 yards off a bipod and a rear bag.
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/heaviescc/photo-50.jpg
Dang, if I didn't let a few drop out.
Scored as a 58.

Also, I attempted this prone with a sling, for sporter/optic class. Same conditions and rifle as above.
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/heaviescc/photo-49.jpg
Scored this as a 42

Hope I scored these correctly. This was great fun, thanks Mav for setting these matches up!

Maverick223
February 13, 2011, 12:43 AM
Well done Heavies, thank you for participating!

Weather was beautiful here (like there it was a little windy but at least it was warm), but alas I didn't have a chance to get out and make something of it.

seanyrc
February 13, 2011, 08:02 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I used my peep sighted pre-1955 Mossberg 142-A that my grandpa gave to me. Used Federal bulk 22LR, from a seated position, at 25 yards. Wonderful AZ day: no wind, 80 degrees outside.

I scored it as a 38. The target and the rifle:

Maverick223
February 13, 2011, 08:07 PM
Welcome to THR and the match, seanyrc! Good shooting, and with a very interesting rifle.

Just noticed the temp...that 80 degree weather must be awfully nice. I'm jealous.

utbrowningman
February 13, 2011, 08:55 PM
seanyrc - can't say I have ever come across that particular rifle. How do you like the forestock and I assume it can it be used in a folded up postion as well?

seanyrc
February 13, 2011, 10:20 PM
Welcome to THR and the match, seanyrc! Good shooting, and with a very interesting rifle.

Just noticed the temp...that 80 degree weather must be awfully nice. I'm jealous.

Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement. It froze over a few days last week, and now it's 80 degrees. The weather must be confused :D

seanyrc - can't say I have ever come across that particular rifle. How do you like the forestock and I assume it can it be used in a folded up postion as well?

The forestock is an interesting feature. Yes, it does fold up. I laughed when I first saw it, but I have grown to like it. I use it as a monopod when shooting prone, and it gives me a bit more stability when shooting seated or standing. I dig it.

Maverick223
February 13, 2011, 11:04 PM
Good shootin', Jeff56!

Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement. It froze over a few days last week, and now it's 80 degrees. The weather must be confusedIt is great to have a new shooter (in the match that is), and using atypical equipment to boot (I have seen one, but don't recall ever having handled much less shot one). I'd settle for that weather, though I must admit that ours has been similar (but we have yet to see a 80 degree day in a great long while).

HOOfan_1
February 14, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hey I decided to try something a little different.

shot these targets with a Ruger Standard .22 pistol with a non-magnified BSA red dot. Easier to see the target with a red dot, but I still couldn't make out the center bull. I think the groups are pretty darn good for a pistol at 25 yards with no magnification. Scores are better than my rifle scores at 25 yards, but nothing to write home about.

I rested my hands on the table, so I am not sure if that is considered a rest or not....

Maverick223
February 14, 2011, 01:52 PM
Good show, HOOfan_1; but I don't think we want to broaden the match to pistols (at least not yet).

FWIW, I was out shooting with a friend of mine using his Buckmark silhouette pistol (that I just recently re-discovered in the back of my safe :o) a couple weeks back and managed to do quite well IMO. We were shooting from about 60-65yds. and my best group was a respectable 2in. with adjustable open sights (that is pretty dang good for me!).

Virg461
February 14, 2011, 02:51 PM
Here's my entries for sporter class with irons. One target shot with my 597 outfitted with Tech Sights (which I really like, by the way) and two targets shot with my MAS45. There's a pic of the 45 in last month's match. I assume the 45 is OK for sporter class, since I didn't use a rest. The sights are military style aperture. Both were at 25 yards.

These were shot prone, using a GI-style sling. Too much fun to have on a lunch break. Glad to see some entries in sporter class.

Hmmmm......pistol class? That could be interesting. My Buckmark is also very accurate. Those are great little pistols. I'm afraid I'm not much of a shot with a pistol, however.....

Maverick223
February 14, 2011, 03:01 PM
Very good shooting, Virg461. I think both the MAS45 and 597 are fine for sporter barring significant modification, such as a custom bbl, target sights, high magnification scope, et cetera (I don't think Tech-Sights qualify as target sights, and while the MAS has a bull barrel it is a trainer, not a target rifle).

If you feel that you have an unfair advantage, or just want the challenge, you can always move up a class.

Geno
February 15, 2011, 02:21 PM
Well, I can not submit this for a score, because I actually was merely taking the opportunity to sight-in my Marlin 981-T for squirrel and rabbit hunting.

I had planned to take my Savage Mark II and this target to the range back on Feb 10. I had it all filled-out, and well, memory failed me at my feeble 50 years of age, and I walked off without my target. Well, me being one to waste money (or targets), I just filled it out for my Marlin instead. Figure it didn't much matter, because it's not for a score, it's for a zeroing.

So, today, I decided to head back to Target Sports indoor range, and sight-in my squirrel rig. :D I fired the 12 shots off-hand, at 25 yards, using no sling. Today, memory failed me about taking my sling. :o But...I remembered the target!! I reckon that aiming off Mr Squirrel's nose, any of these shots would have been an instant kill. I fired the targets in the following order: #1, #3, #2 #4). Here's the run-down on the set-up.

Rifle: Marlin Model 981-T .22LR, carbon steel
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/981T.asp

Optic: Mueller APV 4.5-14_40AO (Black)
http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MAPV451440

Mount: BKL-260 4" Long Unitized Dovetail Mount
http://www.bkltech.com/1_inch_Dia_6_Screw_Unitized_Dovetail_Mount_p/bkl-260.htm

Ammunition: Eley Sport Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose Box of 50
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=453569

Target results at 25 yards, off hand:

Geno

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab157/ERS2010/M981-T.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab157/ERS2010/M981-T2.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab157/ERS2010/M981-T3.jpg

Maverick223
February 15, 2011, 07:44 PM
Geno, I certainly think you are ready for Mr. Squirrel, make sure and take that booger (and/or the Mk. II) out to 50yds if you get the chance (optics are shot from 50). I notice that your groups tightened every time, most folks don't have the patience (me included) and they open up as you go.

BTW, that is an excellent mount for those problematic Marlin dovetails (though they don't tend to be quite as bad on the steel receiver models).

prid93
February 15, 2011, 07:49 PM
That's some nice offhand shooting Geno. And if I may ask, how do you like the Mueller APV scope? I've seen a lot of people with them on their rimfires and was thinking about picking one up as I have a scopeless .22.

Geno
February 15, 2011, 09:20 PM
Maverick:
Thanks for the kind words. Indeed the mounts are awesome. I still place a few drops of red LocTite between the receiver and mount to keep it very solidly in place, and blue LocTite on the crossbolts. Then again, I'm the character who epoxies my 1913 rails to my centerfire recivers. :o They ain't goin' nowheres! :cool:

Yes, now I have to get to the 50 yard line, and do a finish of the the zeroing for small game hunting, and then...shoot a target for a score. I also noticed the groups settled in as I got a bit more trigger pulling. When I shoot 300 yard centerfire for groups, I typically start out with at least 10 rounds of rimfire to ready my finger.

I'll try the Savage Mark II with both its iron sights and optic tomorrow as well. I printed out 10 rimfire targets, and 10 centerfire targets for over on Dale's thread. :) I'm good-to-go!

prid93:
Thank-you. Yes, I was happy with the groups as per being fired off-hand. Regarding the Mueller scopes, yes, they are very nice. I tend to provide a link to products I have a favorable impression toward, such as Mueller. They aren't Leupolds or Nightforce, but they also don't cost nearly $2,000.00 either. For a point of rationality (the most scope for the least money on a rimfire), the Mueller is nice.

If I were to make the purchase again, I would purchase the Tactical version of the 4.5-14 for a mere $169.00! Mueller link: http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MT451440 MidwayUSA link: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=119010 . The following is the link for the BKL mount in 30MM scope tube: http://www.bkltech.com/30mm_4x0_6_Rings_6_Screw_Unitized_Dovetail_Mount_p/bkl-360.htm

More targets to follow: iron sights at 25 yards, and optics at 50. Onward and upward! I already placed my targets & my sling in my rifle case. Memory isn't going to fail me next time...so long as I remember to put the rifles in too. :)

Geno

Maverick223
February 15, 2011, 09:53 PM
Memory isn't going to fail me next time...so long as I remember to put the rifles in too.Hehehe; I look forward to it (not forgetting the rifles, but instead shooting them). You have set a high benchmark with your offhand shooting (without a sling, no less)!

Geno
February 16, 2011, 12:13 AM
Maverick:

Yeah...but, I can't do that at 50 yards...off hand. :o Seated, probably. For the 50 yard, I'll be on the bench, or seated, but resting over a backpack or sandbag. I always try to shoot targets the same way in practice as I do deploying the same firearm while hunting.

Problem is, with shots in the 25 yards range, there's never a bench readily available. It's really just concentration, breath-control and trigger control. All the same, there's tons of fellas who shoot a Hades of a lot better than I. But, tomorrow the range with 25, 50 and 100 yard lanes is open. And I don't have to work until Monday! Dang, I can live at the range! Today, I only had access to a 25 yard range.

Geno

Maverick223
February 16, 2011, 12:45 AM
Yeah...but, I can't do that at 50 yards...off hand. Seated, probably.That's nothing at all to be ashamed of...most folks can't either (even at 25yds). Off-hand is not a prerequisite, any position is fine, as is a sling...same for a rest (though it will automatically throw you into the target category).

Geno
February 16, 2011, 01:28 PM
Odd first-time experience here: I have never before run-out of vertical adjustment, downward!

I took the Savage Mark II to the range, to test 25 yards using iron sights. The first group was way high. Second group was high. I kept adjusting down, and the closest it will come to zero is about 2" high?! And that is with the sight blade completely removed. So, either I need a higher front sight, or an after-market peep sight on rear.

Too, the groups were consistently about 2" left of zero. Aiming at zero, they groups are impacting, on average, at about 10:30. I'm thinking that I'll either have to move the front sight left, or the rear sight to the right a bit. Hard part is, there is no lateral adjustment on the rear sight.

I'll post the target and get some feed back as to which adjustment makes most sense. Now that I wear bifocals, I seldom use the iron sights. When I do use iron sights, I use a peep sight. These open sights are more problematic, but not insurmountable. Thanks in advance...target to be posted as soon as I get time to scan it.

Okay...targets. Target 1 of 2 shows the POA to POI issue. I placed a red dot for the POA. That is a massive difference to the POI. Thoughts? Perhaps a rear peer sight form Williams is in order, and that would allow me to make both vertical and lateral adjustments. It also would correct my bi-focaledness.

Target number 2 of 2, I decided to "test" the ammo to the rifle simply to rule-out that the rifle simply didn't fire this Eley Sport ammo well. There's definitely nothing bad about those groups fired off-hand through the rifle with the Leupold 4X rimfire scope. So, I can rule-out ammo, or rifle's barrel. definitely have an open-sight issue.

So, what are thoughts on after-market peep sights? Experiences?

Geno

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab157/ERS2010/MarkIIa.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab157/ERS2010/MarkIIb.jpg

Maverick223
February 16, 2011, 09:36 PM
Well my experience with the Savage Mk. II has been really good, except for the irons, they aren't the best IMO. For the time being I would try to adjust the front sight a bit and see how that does. In the long run a aperture sight would be a good investment (at least if it were my rifle). IIRC Williams makes a receiver sight for your rifle, I have a couple of them on other rifles and they have performed well. BTW, I recommend the TK, target knob version unless you plan to use it for hunting in thick areas.

Geno
February 16, 2011, 10:49 PM
Maverick:

That's what I'm thinking too. I do think I'll go straight the the peep sight, with target knobs of course. :) I live only about 45 minutes away from Williams. Sounds like a road trip is in order.

Thanks for the feedback.

Geno

Maverick223
February 16, 2011, 11:05 PM
No problem, hope it works out well for you.

Maverick223
February 16, 2011, 11:33 PM
Geno, I Just wanted to add that there seems to be a Lyman's sight available as well (I can't tell whether it requires D&Ting a new hole on the side of the receiver or not), it is steel instead of Al., but a little more costly too. I'd probably see Williams has for your rifle first.

Geno
February 17, 2011, 12:01 AM
Very cool. Thanks...I like steel I'll have to check both.

Geno

Maverick223
February 17, 2011, 12:04 AM
In that case here (http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/90-mjt.php) is a link to the sight in question. FWIW, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Geno
February 17, 2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the link. That's a good looking sight.

Geno

Maverick223
February 17, 2011, 12:41 AM
Happy be of some service; I think you'll find both the Lyman's and William's to do quite well (if their centerfire counterparts are any indication), but I have to agree the Lyman's the better looking of the two.

P.S.: I want to see some targets after you decide and mount.

mcdonl
February 18, 2011, 03:55 PM
Time to put the Mossberg 151M to the test!

Maverick223
February 18, 2011, 04:37 PM
That is a full-stock (Mannlicher) version, isn't it? That may not help, but the older Mossbergs tend to do pretty well. I'm eager to see you results as well (& a photo of the rifle).

mcdonl
February 18, 2011, 04:39 PM
No, someone hacked off the stock extension :( - The good news is they did a very good job of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/mcdonl/Mossy2.jpg

Maverick223
February 18, 2011, 04:50 PM
Still a pretty good lookin' rifle, and honestly it will probably shoot a bit better because of it.

9X23WIN
February 18, 2011, 08:13 PM
I gave it a go today, but it was for naught. This whole week has been raining pretty hard and today's forecast was for much of the same. But when I got to the range, I was surprised to see so many other shooters firing away.
Because of the heavy fog and poor visibility on the 50/100 yd line, I started with my Browning BL-22 lever action rifle with open sights at the 25yd range. After setting up the target and upon getting back to the firing line, I couldn't make out the little targets!! :eek: They needed to be darker, bolder and possibly bigger! :what: Anyway, I gave it my best try shooting offhand and just estimated where the bulls were. Targets 1 and 2 had four holes each, 3 and 4 had two only. So I guess that's a DQ or a big zero.
The rain started to pick up after my 25yd fiasco, so I decided not to shoot the 541T at the 50yd line.

Maverick223
February 18, 2011, 09:20 PM
Targets 1 and 2 had four holes each, 3 and 4 had two only. So I guess that's a DQ or a big zero.Naw, just take the lower score from the ones with the extra holes. I don't think anyone here is going to accuse you of cheating. Feel free to color in one (or several) of the rings to make it more visible.

gathert
February 23, 2011, 11:49 PM
Looks like I'll have to jump in on this next month. Considering my Savage 93 BTVSS can do 1 MOA groups at 100" in no wind and me not pulling shots, this should be pretty easy at 50 yards :) Want to start a 100 yard division?

Maverick223
February 24, 2011, 12:29 AM
Welcome, gathert! We usually do a 50/100yd (for irons & optics, respectively) match a few times during the warmer months. There are simply too many folks that can't get to outdoor ranges, and haven't access to a 100yd. indoor range, during the winter months (due to inclement weather). That said, using a .22cal. rimfire 100yds is a great deal more difficult than you might think (your .17HMR will fare a bit better, but wind, even a little, will still pose a formidable challenge).

Coal Dragger
February 24, 2011, 03:12 AM
Man I really want to get in on this match with my new Cooper M57 laminate sporter with a 2.5-8X36mm Leupold on top, which I guess would be a sporter/optics rifle. Just need a break from work, and our nasty winter weather. It is snowing..... again.... as I write this. I love the Black Hills since I relocated here, and I love snow but enough is enough already, I have shooting, fishing, and mountain biking to do dammit!

Maverick223
February 24, 2011, 11:40 AM
CD, your rifle would be fine for sporting/optics. How much would you hate me if I told you our weather has been clear and in the 70s as of late? :p

prid93
February 24, 2011, 02:18 PM
I'm with you Coal Dragger. I was planning on shooting another target this weekend but we can expect another 6-10 inches heading into the weekend :banghead:. Hopefully I can still get out and test the new Mueller scope. Maverick, I cant wait for it to hit 70 again.

Maverick223
February 24, 2011, 02:42 PM
I just hope it stays this way (it isn't exactly typical Feb. weather)...speaking of which, it is a bit cooler today, but still nothing to complain about.

9X23WIN
February 24, 2011, 04:45 PM
Went back out to the range and gave it another try today. I shot my daughter's old Marlin youth rifle with a 16" barrel, short LOP and a 3x9 Bushnell scope. It's a single shot and pretty fun to shoot. I used a front rest and a rear bag. Too bad it started to rain after my second target as I had planned to shoot a few more. If I scored the targets correctly, then the magic numbers are 36 and 38.

Edit: Ammo used was PMC Sidewinder 50s.

Maverick223
February 24, 2011, 07:52 PM
9X23WIN, not too shabby but I believe you need to raise your scope up a few clicks (for that particular ammo anyway).

Nematocyst
February 24, 2011, 09:54 PM
Delighted to be associated with this shoot
even if I can't submit a target this year.

(39 is thousand away)

Next? If I'm lucky.

Mod 39A cut down to ~18".
Sights: Skinner peeps.
Range: What ever.

:cool:

Maverick223
February 24, 2011, 10:16 PM
Next? If I'm lucky.Hope you are able to, and retrieve that 39 of yours as well. There aren't many, if any, levers shooting in the match (I don't even have a lever rimfire)...it's up to you to represent the Marlin M-39 clan. ;)

happygeek
February 25, 2011, 12:04 AM
Finally got back to the range after suffering a broken firing pin. Dang thing only had about 4,000 rounds on it. Oh well, it's a $15 part in that 22 rifle, the new one got here, and I'm back in business.

Didn't have that great of a day though, only 1 or 2 good groups.

Almost forgot, prone unsupported at 25m, sporting class I think.

Maverick223
February 25, 2011, 12:18 AM
Glad to have you back and fixed up, happygeek! What rifle is it...a Marlin M-60? They tend to have problems with broken firing pins...in fact I have had two friends break them in the past month or so (though both are somewhat older rifles).

happygeek
February 25, 2011, 02:19 AM
CMMG 22LR dedicated upper actually. I've heard that dry firing is bad for them and that rifle did go to Appleseed a few months ago. That might have started a crack that just now broke completely, who knows.

I did try last month's target but my score was so abysmal I didn't bother posting. I think I only hit 3 or 4 of those little circles. Thanks for making the target bigger this month!

mcdonl
February 25, 2011, 11:04 AM
Ugh... so my 151M, although a good shooter is not functioning properly and was bumming me out. So, in order to make myself feel better I went to the LGS and saw a nice Savage Mark II with a cheap tasco scope on top of it. I am sitting here eating my breakfast watching the snow fall. I will be going to the range soon... I will post what I shoot good or bad.

prid93
February 25, 2011, 11:08 AM
Gah...The snow came as predicted. Hopefully it stops soon so I can get out tomorrow for a shoot with the new Mueller APV.

Maverick223
February 25, 2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks for making the target bigger this month!Glad you like it. I think the next one will be pretty good too (albeit a bit smaller bulls).

mcdonl, good luck with the new Savage. I think you'll find that it shoots pretty well. Here's hoping you guys get a break in the weather.

mcdonl
February 25, 2011, 07:07 PM
Well, I did not read the rules close enough... I shot five times at each target so I am DQ'd before even starting!! That's ok...

I would have been shooting in the target class, and scoring my best three at each target I would have gotten a dismal 37... if I added correctly. I will post the target, and call it a wash... like the day... a white wash :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/mcdonl/022511-rimfire004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/mcdonl/022511-rimfire002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/mcdonl/022511-rimfire003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/mcdonl/022511-rimfire001.jpg

Maverick223
February 25, 2011, 07:49 PM
mcdonl, no worries just count the lesser three shots for each target. Heck you probably aught to get bonus shots for shooting in that sort of weather anyway. ;)

mcdonl
February 25, 2011, 08:17 PM
I shot probably 50 shots before that, getting the scope on the paper... after a while I was having a hard time seeing the target and I realized I had a snow drift inside the scope.... lol....

Next month will be a warmer month!

Maverick223
February 25, 2011, 08:43 PM
...after a while I was having a hard time seeing the target and I realized I had a snow drift inside the scope.... lol....Hehehe, don't recall ever having that problem...and I hope I never do. Brrr

Yep, good ole global warming will kick back in before long. :D

9X23WIN
February 26, 2011, 02:03 AM
Mcdonl, you're such a trooper shooting in those frigid conditions! :what: You deserve a medal!

KSCCHTrainer
February 27, 2011, 02:32 PM
Finally, I'll soon be able to quell those who think shooting these matches on indoor ranges is a sacrilege - :)

Friend of mine (lives less than 2 miles Northeast of me), has a 120 yard by 30 yard field with a BIG berm on one end of the long direction. He checked with his neighbors and nobody has any objections to him setting up a 1 lane range for his family and friends to use occasionally for target practice. Turns out the neighbors are willing to help with their farm tractors to build up side berms at the target end and firing points to make every thing nice & safe. They want to trade out the help for a chance to sight in their deer rifles on occasion.

Don't know if it will be ready for this month's match, but if it is, I'll git-r-done outdoors. We're not planning a covered firing point, for now, trying to keep the expense down. I picked up enough 4 x 4 pressure treated lumber and a 4 x 8 sheet of 1/2" exterior plywood to make a decent target frame. My contribution to the effort in exchange for usage rights.

Right now, he'd prefer I not take pictures as it would show too many details of his security system, but maybe later we can disguise them enough to not be too obvious in the pix. He's had problems with people stealing his stock trailers and stuff, so he doesn't want to make it too easy for them to bypass his new security (not to mention wanting to nab 'em in the act if they try again.)

Meanwhile, I'm working on upgrading my amateur radio antenna system to take advantage of the propagation upswing and give me better coverage to Europe and the Far East.

Haven't gone to the range lately as my buddy (also a ham radio operator) and I have been working on his range and my antennas in between bouts of bad weather (17 below zero one week and 80 degrees with thunderstorms the next) Spring is almost here in Kansas - I live in Tornado Alley after all.

Jim

P51D
February 27, 2011, 04:50 PM
It will be great to have you back, KSC. Meanwhile, you've got today and tomorrow to shoot and post, indoors or out! :cool:

P51D

Maverick223
February 27, 2011, 05:31 PM
Yeah, not much time this month (speaking of which I need to get around to uploading my own targets), but I wish you well with your endeavors at the new outdoor range and your antenna array.

Coal Dragger
February 27, 2011, 06:26 PM
This month is a complete write off for me, weather has been lousy, and work has been busy. Between the two factors I haven't been able to get out and shoot.

Bonesinium
February 27, 2011, 08:09 PM
I figured I give this a whirl just for fun.

Sporting class with optics, so shot at 50 yards.
Rifle was a Marlin 60 with a scope set at 9 power (I think), shooting 36 grain Federal Bulk Pack.
Winds were variable at 8, left to right. I tried to time it when the wind was calm, but apparently did so poorly on the last set.

Scored as a 37. (12, 13, 9, 3)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/cmm343ebh/001.jpg?t=1298852085

Maverick223
February 27, 2011, 08:47 PM
Great shooting guys!

Attached is a photo of my two attempts (well the best two out of several) a 47 for Magnified Target (using a mildly customized 10/22) and a 46 for Non-Magnified Target (using a Stevens model 87D).

shootr
February 28, 2011, 08:35 AM
Took a winter hiatus but got out yesterday a while. Feet got wet and I got cold. Surprisingly, range got crowded and a guy three lanes over cross-shot my target!!

Only got to the 25 yard range - cowboy action shooters had the 50. Was cold anyway.

Dunno about the rest of the northerners here, but I'm officially tired of winter! We've had a bunch of snow. I have a thing about keeping my drive and walkway clear. Don't mind getting up early and / or hitting it later in the evening, but as of last week when we got hammered again and I had to re-do my drive 4 more times from the snowplow drivers, it just got old... Can't wait for nicer weather. What happened to global warming???

Conditions:

damp, hi 20s - low 30s, breezy, overcast, foot and a half of snow on the ground.

Kimber 82G, unlimited target, bench, irons, 60 pts.

prid93
February 28, 2011, 11:47 AM
shootr,
Very nice shooting! That is an absolutely flawless target. Even if you took the four individual circles and put them over each other the group doesn't get any bigger. And to answer your question...I too am absolutely sick of this weather.

Maverick223
February 28, 2011, 11:48 AM
What happened to global warming???That's what I said!

Beautiful shooting there, shootr! I don't think the cross-shot is any concern, it is clearly greater than .25cal....and well, your groups speak for themselves.

shootr
February 28, 2011, 01:00 PM
Thx guys. No worries though, my groups are quite different when shooting from positions LOL!!

Been missing these and can see there are some fine shooters once again. I suspect the squirrel population will be taking a significant hit.

Maverick223
March 1, 2011, 08:20 PM
Long day...so I am just now getting around to tallying the final scores:

Optics Division - Target Class:
1st: Jon_Snow - 60pts. (Perfect Score!)
2nd: Tie between P51D & Heavies - 58pts.
3rd: HOOfan_1 - 55pts.
Honorable Mentions: Virg461 (50), Maverick223 (47; hey that's me!), 9x23WIN (38), & mcdonl (33)

Optics Division - Sporting Class:
1st: Heavies - 42pts.
2nd: Bonesium - 37pts.
3rd: N/A

Optics Division - Target Class:
1st: shootr - 60pts. (Perfect Score!)
2nd: prid93 - 55pts.
3rd: Maverick223 - 46pts. (if we just had one more shooter in this div./class I would've been squoze out ;))

Optics Division - Sporting Class:
1st: Virg461 - 53pts.
2nd: utbrowningman - 50pts.
3rd: seanyrc - 38pts.
Honorable Mentions: happygeek (35), HOOfan_1 (23), 9x23WIN (19), & Geno (14)

Thank you all for joining in...and make sure to tell your friends. The turnout has been getting much better since adding the sig-line link, and hopefully will continue to improve as it gets warmer, but it is always great to have more participants!

BTW, the new match up and running, here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7134597) is a link.

If you enjoyed reading about "February Rimfire Match:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!