pgo shotgun

PDA

Birdmang
February 1, 2011, 05:38 PM
Can you put a pistol grip on any shotgun?

what are the laws with pistol grips?

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "pgo shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
February 1, 2011, 05:43 PM
Are you asking if you can take a regular full length shoulder fired shotgun and remove or modify the stock, leaving only a pistol grip?

If that is your question then the answer is yes, if after you are done the thing still has an 18 inch barrel and a 26 inch overall length.

If you shorten it less than 26 inches you have made an NFA firearm, a "weapon made from a shotgun".

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/identification-of-nfa-firearms.html#made-from-shotgun

That's why you can buy PGO firearms new, because the receiver has never been made into a long arm. Once it's made into a long arm you can't make it into a pistol or other type of non long arm, it becomes "a weapon made from a shotgun".

Birdmang
February 1, 2011, 06:11 PM
Yes that is the question. I have a 20 gauge shotgun with 28 inch barrel and just wanted to try the pistol grip on it. It looks real dumb with a huge barrel and pistol grip, but just making sure its legal. Thanks.

macadore
February 2, 2011, 07:59 PM
Yes that is the question. I have a 20 gauge shotgun with 28 inch barrel and just wanted to try the pistol grip on it. It looks real dumb with a huge barrel and pistol grip, but just making sure its legal. Thanks.

I believe you can cut the barrel, as long as the overall length is 26 inches and the barrel is 18 inches.

The Lone Haranguer
February 2, 2011, 08:34 PM
I have a feeling that after you try a few shots you will be wanting to put the full buttstock back on. ;)

Birdmang
February 2, 2011, 09:11 PM
Yep I probably will put on the stock, i got the grip for $2 so I figured it was worth a try!

macadore
February 2, 2011, 10:19 PM
I have a feeling that after you try a few shots you will be wanting to put the full buttstock back on.

That was my experience. You had better hit your target with the first shot because getting a follow up was going to be slow in coming.

If you enjoyed reading about "pgo shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!