Traveling with Rifles

PDA

ZCORR Jay
February 2, 2011, 12:53 PM
At the end of April we will be traveling to Pittsburgh for the annual NRA meeting and to help show off our new product line we would like to bring a couple Mosins. I haven't really started to dig into what steps to take yet and figured I'd tap the wealth of knowledge here first. Many of the threads I've read discuss transporting pistols and all the ccw permits.

Any help would be great!

If you enjoyed reading about "Traveling with Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NavyLCDR
February 2, 2011, 01:32 PM
Unloaded and locked in the trunk of the vehicle, or absent a separate locking compartment, in a locked case.

18 USC 926a:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

bubba15301
February 2, 2011, 11:14 PM
put them in a case ,throw them in the trunk .and be on your way. put them in the trunk just to keep them out of sight , that is if a mosin will fit in your trunk!

Steve in PA
February 3, 2011, 01:20 AM
Don't know about the NY requirements, but as far as PA goes, the rifles must be unloaded. This means no rounds in the chambers or internal magazines. There is no requirement in PA for the rifles to be cased or inaccessible.

oerllikon
February 3, 2011, 02:36 AM
Im pretty sure youll have a better time transporting long guns instead of handguns. As long as theyre completely unloaded, and the cases are completely closed, locked, tied, etc.

On a side note, I have to put my mosin in my trunk a special way. With a 52 inch hard case its a little more difficult than one of my marlins

stickhauler
February 3, 2011, 04:54 AM
If you have a car with a large trunk, locked up in there unloaded. If you have a car with a small trunk, I guess you're visiting U-Haul to rent a trailer, one of those cool covered ones you can lock up. Hey, I'm sure there's people who will steal a $100.00 milsurp. And no, I'm not dissing a Mosin, I own a few and love the hell out of shooting those big old firesticks.

ZCORR Jay
February 3, 2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. We will be shipping most of our booth down so we will be able to ride down in one of our pick up trucks that have caps on the back so the rifles will be safely covered and locked up in cases.

xcgates
February 3, 2011, 08:59 PM
The biggest concern I've ever had is the same I have for any valuable I transport. Disguise it or hide it. Be that in the back of a pickup that can't be looked into, or in a hard side case with what looks like junk on top, it all up to you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Traveling with Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!