Help, someone with a blue book

PDA

oklahoma caveman
February 2, 2011, 06:15 PM
What is a savage 840 in 222 worth these days? Also would be interested in hearing any input on these rifles. I have one found for 270 otd but have yet to see it or handle it. What would I be getting in to if I purchased this rifle

If you enjoyed reading about "Help, someone with a blue book" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeff82
February 2, 2011, 06:35 PM
I can't find a Savage "840" entry in my Blue Book (29th Ed., several years old now). I do see a "340" in 222 Rem. 100% runs $225.

VA27
February 2, 2011, 06:50 PM
Any 'print' book is out of date before it's printed. Even when they were the only thing around, the locality where the gun was actually located had more to do with price than anything else.

To see what any gun is 'bringing' check the auction sites. Look for what the gun actually sold for, not what the seller is asking.

oklahoma caveman
February 2, 2011, 07:28 PM
The problem is that there are no 840 in 222 selling at the moment that i can find. But thanks guys, I believe I am going to pass on this one

awgrizzly
February 3, 2011, 12:25 AM
Savage made the 840 back in 1980 and it only sold for a few years. (So few in fact that I wasn't able to find any reference to them in any of several gun guides.) They apparently tried to revamp the older 340 but it didn't succeed. A rather plain bolt action with a retractable magazine made mostly for .222, .223 and 30-30 cartridges. The value runs from under $200 to a bit over depending on condition. It seems to have been a pretty decent basic rifle that never caught on. I suspect it would have to be in very good condition to bring $270, but then there couldn't have been very many made so maybe the price will increase.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help, someone with a blue book" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!