AR vs AK with a twist.

PDA

CharlesT
February 2, 2011, 11:13 PM
OK, I already have an AK and I LOVE it. Thus, it's a cheap WASR-10.

My dad LOVES my AK, and wants to call it his own.

He said he would give me money for a new one. BUT, if I were to buy another AK I would want to get a "premium" one; Arsenal/Krebs/Redjacket. BUT AGAIN, I want to try an AR as well. That way we would have an AR and an AK.|

Here are my main choices...

Stag Model 8 piston gun

or

.... (Maybe SGL21 or VEPR II)

If you enjoyed reading about "AR vs AK with a twist." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DoubleTapDrew
February 2, 2011, 11:18 PM
BCM 16" mid length (with your choice of lower) or a converted Saiga.
Those would be my choices for top tier gear at very reasonable prices. I'd forget a piston AR, IMHO it's a gimmick on a platform that was never designed for it.

CharlesT
February 2, 2011, 11:21 PM
Was also thinking the Model 3 which is only $800 MSRP

dawico
February 2, 2011, 11:26 PM
It sounds like your dad needs to go buy his own gun.

Tirod
February 3, 2011, 08:12 AM
How about a direct impingement conversion on a Saiga?

Of course it sounds awkward, just pointing out what a piston conversion on the AR is like. The working piston setup IN the bolt carrier is deactivated, and another is mounted on the barrel, pushing the BCG off axis and causing long term problems. It's no cleaner, piston to piston, cylinder to cylinder, or cooler. AR BCG temps are only about 40* more, but gas piston temps go hundreds, right under the handguards.

And, you get to pay a $400 premium for all that, make it a pound heavier, and get just one place to buy parts from. No competiton means single source premium pricing.

Just like some off brand DI conversion on a Saiga. Pistons on an AR are just easy, that's all, fits the kitchen table assembly it has. AK's, not so much, mostly a gunsmith shop with presses, jigs, mills, and experience.

But, hmmm, no bulky gas block, loses a pound there, gets a lower rail, BCG does the work, bolt tail gets gas rings, does double duty, lighter, and actually cooler overall. Why not?

A nice midrange AR doesn't need anything more than good mags and ammo. Buy one and try it.

nalioth
February 3, 2011, 09:30 AM
When referring to AKs, "Premium" is a marketing phrase.

AKs are commodity firearms, designed to cheaply equip troops.

You can buy a Saiga and send it out for a bead-blast and "Fancy-Cote" after you convert it and have a "premium AK" for a lot less expense than "the big names" offerings.

CharlesT
February 3, 2011, 01:37 PM
Probable answer.
http://www.stagarms.com/images/M3_2318.gif

henschman
February 3, 2011, 07:15 PM
Be a man, get an M-14! :D

JK (sort of)... but honestly I would go with a nice AK over an AR with a piston kit. The AR-type rifles that were actually designed from the ground up to run on a piston system are good to go, but the ones that convert a DI AR are not so great.

At least the AK still has it's original design, and will function smoothly and reliably... probably longer than you will!

nipprdog
February 3, 2011, 07:39 PM
Was also thinking the Model 3 which is only $800 MSRP

That would be $895, and no optics.

Not knocking the rifle. :D Stag makes good stuff.

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=208

nipprdog
February 3, 2011, 07:43 PM
Spikes midlength for $810;

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-midlength-le-carbine-p-443.html

snakeman
February 3, 2011, 07:48 PM
Hmm why not get a model1sales.com ar 15 kit in 7.62x39? That way you can shoot the same ammo through both and save some money!

AR27
February 3, 2011, 07:49 PM
Be a man, get an M-14! :D

JK (sort of)... but honestly I would go with a nice AK over an AR with a piston kit. The AR-type rifles that were actually designed from the ground up to run on a piston system are good to go, but the ones that convert a DI AR are not so great.

At least the AK still has it's original design, and will function smoothly and reliably... probably longer than you will!
Ya M-14/M1A prices are great! NOT!

snakeman
February 3, 2011, 07:52 PM
They are wicked guns but way inflated on the price.

aussiedog20
February 3, 2011, 07:52 PM
I have the Stag myself. I have the lefty version and it suits me perfect. Excellent shooter and eats anything I feed it. Very accurate and never a problem. I'm on the other end of the spectrum wanting an AK now.

I bought mine for $730 new 6 months ago...

snakeman
February 3, 2011, 07:58 PM
arsenal sgl in .223 once again share the ammo

henschman
February 4, 2011, 02:43 PM
Ya M-14/M1A prices are great! NOT!

If they made anything better for less money than I would be all over it!

smokinfeathers
February 4, 2011, 03:52 PM
i went with the stag 3,6 and 7. great guns have had no problems and they will all shoot under MOA no problem.

WardenWolf
February 4, 2011, 04:12 PM
SGL-21. No question there. Very lightweight, feels wonderful in your hands. Just a fine rifle.

Bill2e
February 4, 2011, 04:19 PM
You do not need to spend the extra money on a piston gun. DI has been working for quite some time and will continue to work. Go for a good mid priced AR and then you will have both to play with

trigga
February 4, 2011, 11:20 PM
i prefer di myself. i've always like bushmaster and that's what i have. stag would be my second choice.

Tirod
February 5, 2011, 07:50 AM
Hmm why not get a model1sales.com ar 15 kit in 7.62x39? That way you can shoot the same ammo through both and save some money!

Great idea, too bad a decent magazine isn't made to make it work reliably. The taper case on the X39 simply won't feed through the straight mag well of the AR. Some have lucked out with their frankenmags and get reliable loading, seems just as many have mags that don't.

It can be done, ammo is just as cheap for the 5.56, why risk a known hassle?

Coal Dragger
February 5, 2011, 07:52 AM
Charles,

Take your Dad's $$$, then buy a Colt 6920 or a Noveske.

SharpsDressedMan
February 5, 2011, 08:08 AM
How about a Saiga .308? That way you get the AK platform, and the ballistics of a "shorty" M14. Spend the money on the conversion stuff, and it even looks right.

BushyGuy
February 5, 2011, 08:22 AM
If you get an AR buy Bushmaster , they are great AR's for the money-and they wont be around much longer for a NIB one.

Also you should buy another WASR GP 10/63 cuz they are going up in price, i seen them selling now on guns america and gunbroker for 699 and up.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/997874744/Guns/Rifles/Century-Arms-International/Rifles/AK_47_WASR_10_by_Century_Arm.htm

i have the same one, i bought it for 450.00 its a great Ak, also i have a Bushmaster Ar for 2 years never had a hiccup!

trigga
February 5, 2011, 11:36 AM
which ever you decide, get them now before they are gone or the price goes up again. I bought my wasr 10 a few years ago and the price has gone up $150-200. i am very happy with the purchase.

CharlesT
February 7, 2011, 12:11 PM
How about a WASR-10 2?

http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/catalog/ertd545_1376_detail.jpg

5.45x39mm :)

Redlg155
February 7, 2011, 12:43 PM
I would personally go for another ak before the prices get too out of hand. With the money saved you can purchase a stripped ar lower or two. Even when there was a buying...and subsequent price gougin frenzy, ar parts did not rise at the same levels.

CharlesT
February 7, 2011, 02:15 PM
I know asking Arsenal or CAI will start a **** fire but is it REALLY worth it to get the Arsenal over the CAI?

My WASR-10 in 7.62 shoots fine and is a quality piece...

If you enjoyed reading about "AR vs AK with a twist." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!