Accuracy International AE

PDA

Bullseye_shooter
February 3, 2011, 12:52 AM
I'm almost positive i'm going to be purchasing this rifle within the next 6 months. I originally wanted to get a AICS stock and buy a custom M700 action from surgeon... and a custom trigger... but it just was getting to pricey.

My original price point was around $3,000 give or take. And Tac Ops Distrib. AI's USA distributer has been selling them for around 2,800 so i might actually get an factory-AI:D

It will be chambered in 7.62x51 NATO, so im just wondering anyone have any experience with this rifle not much on the interwebz

If you enjoyed reading about "Accuracy International AE" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
February 3, 2011, 11:31 AM
From my limited experience they are a fantastic rifle...I very nearly purchased one instead of my DTA-SRS (which would cost you significantly more FWIW). FWIW, I am not a big fan of your chosen chambering, but I don't know if you reload and you can always rechamber it in .260Rem. or the like later on (which is not available stock to the best of my knowledge).

If he doesn't poke his head in within 12hrs or so, shoot Zak a PM...he has a ton of experience with the AI rigs of various types (IIRC he owns an AI-AW, AWM, and a AW-50).

:)

ZeBool
February 3, 2011, 03:58 PM
That will go nicely with your thousand dollar custom Baer LOL

Bullseye_shooter
February 3, 2011, 04:22 PM
are you trying to poke fun at something?

ZeBool
February 3, 2011, 04:43 PM
Nope. Does it come with the stopping power perk?

Bullseye_shooter
February 3, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hahahaha... naw it'd be cool if it did!!

I will reiterate, That LBC is costing me, out of my money i earned working last summer $1300 aprox. and this AE is going to be a graduation present of sorts. If u want a link to a utube vid once i get the gun from my FFL i will be happy to send it too you

And that joke was pretty cute did you think that up all by yourself -.-

gun addict
February 3, 2011, 04:56 PM
so you're 16, bought a custom 1911 for $1000 that was made for you and you're somehow "graduating" already, in which case you will receive an ACcuracy international rifle for present? HAHAHA, hahahaha

ZeBool
February 3, 2011, 04:59 PM
I'm not interested in the youtube link as much as I would like to see a link to the law that allows a 16 year old have a rifle or better yet, A HANDGUN transfered to him. Why don't you go work on digging that up? Maybe your ffl can help ;)

Bullseye_shooter
February 3, 2011, 06:12 PM
its not being transfered in my name as i have posted before and it is my mistake that i didnt state that in the first place.

Also, i said sort of a graduation present more of an end of the school year thing, sorry for now emphasizing that.

Owen
February 3, 2011, 06:44 PM
Why don't we address the OP's question, rather than raking him over the coals?

I know plenty of 16 year olds with their own guns ( I was one)

Bullseye_shooter
February 3, 2011, 07:00 PM
Thank you!

February 3, 2011, 11:21 PM
My experience with the AE is limited to shooting a friend's AE that he's had for a couple of months. I made a post about it here ...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=563024

I have three "custom" rifles in AICS stocks. All three have Krieger barrels and one is built on a Badger Ordnance M2008 action, the other two on Remington 700 actions. In many ways, I'd rather have three AE rifles and would have paid about the same amount of money with a lot less work on my part. The AE isn't the "mil spec" rifle that the AW is but for most of us, who cares? The AE is more than good enough for the majority of end users. I plan on buying an Accuracy International rifle this year and will almost certainly order an AW rather than an AE ... not because I need one, but simply because I want one.

February 3, 2011, 11:34 PM
hawk45 posted this list in the other thread pointing out most of the differences between an AE and AW. Based on my experience with AW mags and the M2008 action, they're superior to AICS mags in a couple of ways at least. I'd prefer a 3-position safety too and a bonded action is a plus. Basically, I feel that the extra cost of the AW is worth it although the AE is an excellent rifle and definitely worth considering if you're thinking about putting together a custom rifle.

AW-Action permanently bonded to chassis
AE-Action bolted into chassis. Requires a couple extra steps for a barrel swap.

AW-3 position safety
AE-2 position

AW-More options for scope mounting (flat top receiver)
AE-Requires rail (round top receiver)

AW-Double stack magazine (can load from port while mag is in the rifle)
AE-Single Stack AICS Mags. (can't load mag from port but can toss a round in the port for single shot chambering)

Both have two stage user adjustable triggers. In the AE MKII that trigger is not removable without complete disassembly.

Barrels and bolt are swapable between the two.

Both allow users to change barrels at home (with the AI action wrench, Go gauge, No-Go gauge, torque wrench, barrel vice). The AE you have an extra step of removing the action from the chasis.

Barrels can be ordered directly from AI or Border Barrel Co. (AI uses Border barrels from the factory). You can also order barrels from gunsmiths with AI specs like George at GAP and you don't have to send them the gun or action. Just call in your specs and they will turn, chamber and send out. Slap it on and off ya go.

Maverick223
February 4, 2011, 12:24 AM
1858, that is some good information. I like the AW better if only due to the easier to load (singles as well as filling entire magazines) double stack magazines. That is the one fault that I find in my SRS...the mags are a PITA to load (though they are long enough to accommodate a 240gr. SMK loaded all the way out so I can't complain too much).

redbullitt
February 4, 2011, 12:26 AM
Simply put, it will be hard to do better than the AICS. Wicked stick for sure.

Whiskey11
February 4, 2011, 12:49 AM
Can't say much about AI's actions and barrels, but I will say that the AICS I just threw on my R700 is very, VERY well made. If their guns are at all like this stock, they are some very impressive rifles! They obviously have made a name for themselves considering they are still around :) This AICS 1.5 stock speaks volumes about their quality, and I'm impressed!

blackops
February 4, 2011, 12:50 AM
Wicked stick for sure.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Might as well go ahead and top it with a S&B PM II also.

Maverick223
February 4, 2011, 02:16 AM
Might as well go ahead and top it with a S&B PM II also.Naw, throw a Premier Reticles Heritage on it...IMO it is a little better (not to say that S&B is bad) and you can save a little change to boot.

UKarmourer
February 4, 2011, 06:57 AM
Only thing better (IMHO) is the .338 we bought to replace/ complement our L96's.

All the snipers I have worked with love them, but prefer the new toy

February 4, 2011, 02:10 PM
I like the AW better if only due to the easier to load (singles as well as filling entire magazines) double stack magazines.

I agree 100% with that statement. I recently bought three AW mags to use with my M2008 action and I'm astounded by how smooth the action is when chambering a round compared to my Remington 700 (.308 Win) in an AICS stock using AICS mags. I can see why some owners have to overcome the tendency to want to open the bolt to check if a round actually chambered ... they're that smooth.

Naw, throw a Premier Reticles Heritage on it...IMO it is a little better (not to say that S&B is bad) and you can save a little change to boot.

I have to agree with this also. I have two PRH scopes with plans for more.

pdd614
February 4, 2011, 04:07 PM
An ae mkII in 7wsm. This was displayed at the ai booth in this years shot show.
I hope they actually produce this, and it doesn't go the way of the aics m14 stock.

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65/pdd614/7wsm.jpg

Drool

TechBrute
February 4, 2011, 06:30 PM
And Tac Ops Distrib. AI's USA distributer

Tac PRO? As far as I know, AI only has 3 US distributors: SRT, some place in CO, and Tac Pro, which is a little outside Fort Worth.

February 4, 2011, 08:06 PM
some place in CO,

Mile High Shooting (http://www.milehighshooting.com/) in Broomfield, CO is the best distributor as far as I'm concerned. Diann (owner) is a sweetheart of a woman and will get 100% of my AI related business. I bought an AICS 2.0, three AW mags and an AI sling from her. I'll be ordering an AW from her too.

TechBrute
February 4, 2011, 08:12 PM
The name escaped me, but you aren't the first to say good things about them. I bought my AI AW down the road here at Tac Pro. Flashed the cash, walked out with a .338...

blackops
February 4, 2011, 10:47 PM
AI...in 7wsm...yeah, I'll take one of those.

If you enjoyed reading about "Accuracy International AE" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!