Want to buy a Saiga

PDA

M.C.
February 3, 2011, 12:08 PM
I am really looking into purchasing a Saiga, but I am torn between the 7.62x39 or the 7.62x51.
Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Want to buy a Saiga" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
February 3, 2011, 12:12 PM
You'll like it.

speaksoftly
February 3, 2011, 12:13 PM
Better get it fast haha.

Skinsanity
February 3, 2011, 12:15 PM
M.C. Yes...I have the 7.62x39 and have been extremely happy with it..My Brother bought the .308 and has been less than pleased..Here is why..

Very few of the parts on the .308 can be replaced with easy to find AK parts..this INCLUDES magazines obviously..spare mags for the 308 are expensive where I can use standard AK mags (with a slight mod to the mag, none to the gun) also, the .308 is too powerful for this gun, the .308 exceeds at distance, and this weapon platform is not made for distance shooting. Its not Horrible, but about 4 inch groups at 100yds..if you want a .308 get a platform that makes use of the rounds capabilities..Also, Ammo expense..7.62x39 is MUCH cheaper than a .308.

all in all...he is much less happy with his .308 than I am with my 7.62x39.

Hope it helps

M.C.
February 3, 2011, 01:26 PM
That helps. I will go with the 7.62x39.

Girodin
February 3, 2011, 07:24 PM
I have both. Both are good guns (once restored to their intended configurations). Which to get really is dependent on a number of factors. The most important one is likely to be what you intend to do with it.

The x39 is cheaper in almost every respect making it an attractive choice for many if their uses do not require the added punch the 308 brings to the table.

Better get it fast haha.

So now the S12 FUD silliness is spreading to the rifles?

Roan
February 3, 2011, 07:29 PM
The .308 has significantly more range and power, but this comes at a heavy cost. The ammo penetrates more, making it far less ideal for home defense. The ammo is more expensive, which may or may not be a factor for you. Ammo is heavier, making a loaded weapon heavier with fewer rounds in the magazine. Magazines are also more expensive and less common. Basically, the x39 is more versitile while the x51 is more powerful.

If you have a weapon that shoots one of those calibers already, get the other one. If you have neither, I would err on the side of x39 (cheaper and more versitile). It all comes down to what role you wish it to play in your arsenal.

Girodin
February 3, 2011, 07:41 PM
The ammo penetrates more, making it far less ideal for home defense.

One could shoot the 110 grain TAP loads. I haven't compared them to 124 v max loads so I'm not sure what the real difference would be with roads designed to address that concern.

That said 308 out of a 16" barrel has noticeably more bark than the x39 16" gun.

I'm not sure that I would say the x39 is more versitale. I actually think there is a good argument that the 308 is. It can do everything the x39 can do plus its extra power gives it capabilties the x39 lacks. Price with respect to initial purchase price, mags and ammo are all heavily on the side of the x39.

roadchoad
February 3, 2011, 08:36 PM
I have a converted x39 passed to me when my bro passed on. Takes AK mags, seems well built. I have no complaints. Going to try and get a hog and a yote with it, as it's the only center fire rifle I own.

If you enjoyed reading about "Want to buy a Saiga" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!